Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aristo 60

There's a Packie Devlin Park and no Larry Reilly Park?

Did Larry give that the go ahead? Or is that why there are so many potholes in Cavan?

mylestheslasher

I'm a Killeshandra man myself. Know a little about him. How much do you know or are you starting from zero. Packie Devlin Park is looking well these days, a major upgrade took place a few years ago.

robbieswift

Thank you for your reply. All I know of Packie Devlin are the details of his football career and his early death available online. A cousin of mine visited Killeshandra many years ago and it was then that we learned that Packie was the brother of our Granny. Further than that, I have very little.

Like many Irish families of the time, the family were dispersed with Annie-Mary (my Granny) and her sister Delia going to England while their brothers Packie and Johnny obviously remained behind.  We have no information on the family other than that, no knowledge of their parents, other siblings, where they lived etc. We also have no knowledge of Packie or Johnny's children, who would be our cousins once removed.

five points

Hi Robbie

I'd imagine you'd find this book, about Packie's colleague Jim Smith, interesting.

http://hoganstand.com/Cavan/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=176383

mylestheslasher

Quote from: robbieswift on April 17, 2015, 03:11:09 AM
Thank you for your reply. All I know of Packie Devlin are the details of his football career and his early death available online. A cousin of mine visited Killeshandra many years ago and it was then that we learned that Packie was the brother of our Granny. Further than that, I have very little.

Like many Irish families of the time, the family were dispersed with Annie-Mary (my Granny) and her sister Delia going to England while their brothers Packie and Johnny obviously remained behind.  We have no information on the family other than that, no knowledge of their parents, other siblings, where they lived etc. We also have no knowledge of Packie or Johnny's children, who would be our cousins once removed.

I've an interest in this type of thing myself so I'll try and help you out!

There are a few people who would know. First off in the Killeshandra parish is George Cartwright, former Cavan GAA County Board chairman. He has written a book on his own club Cornafean but back in those days people from Killeshandra often played with Cornafean as they were a senior team and you had to play senior in order to play for Cavan. So George might know some more. I'll also talk to the Mammy as she also knows everything about everyone in the area, she may know what families today are related to the Devlins.

One book you should look up if you can is "Cavans Football Story" by Fr Dan Gallogly. Its out of print and to buy it could set you back €100 to €200. It covers the 30's, 40's in detail that is not really on line. I have a copy myself and could copy you some pages but if you want your own I think I know where there is one for sale in Dublin.

nrico2006

Quote from: mylestheslasher on April 17, 2015, 12:05:57 PM
Quote from: robbieswift on April 17, 2015, 03:11:09 AM

I've an interest in this type of thing myself so I'll try and help you out!

There are a few people who would know. First off in the Killeshandra parish is George Cartwright, former Cavan GAA County Board chairman. He has written a book on his own club Cornafean but back in those days people from Killeshandra often played with Cornafean as they were a senior team and you had to play senior in order to play for Cavan. So George might know some more. I'll also talk to the Mammy as she also knows everything about everyone in the area, she may know what families today are related to the Devlins.

One book you should look up if you can is "Cavans Football Story" by Fr Dan Gallogly. Its out of print and to buy it could set you back €100 to €200. It covers the 30's, 40's in detail that is not really on line. I have a copy myself and could copy you some pages but if you want your own I think I know where there is one for sale in Dublin.

Be interesting to hear what you find out for Robbie.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

mrdeeds

Change topic seeing as club football going to be in full swing for next few weeks. What happened Lavey today.

rodney trotter

A bit of a hiding alright. They seem to concede a lot of goals

Ramor have a strong management team this year with Michael McDermott along with Gary Farrelly,

mylestheslasher

Still looking into this for you. Seems Packie Devlin doesn't have much family left, if any around Killeshandra. My neighbour at home remember his brother Johnny though and I know where they lived, a small cottage at Croghan bridge which is now derelict (about a mile out the Ballyconnel road from Killeshandra). I'll see what else can be found out.

comeysfield

I have the Jim Smith never read it yet (keep meaning to ) so will see what is there about Packie in it and post it up

Itchy

Sad news for Cavan GAA this morning...

Cavan GAA mourn passing of Shane Mulholland
April 25, 2015 By Cavan GAA
Cavan GAA are deeply saddened to hear of the tragic and untimely passing of our Hurling Development Administrator Shane Mulholland in a car accident last night.
A native of Loughiel, Co. Antrim, Shane lived in Derrylin, Co. Fermanagh. He was a talented hurler, playing for Lisbellaw and the Fermanagh Senior County Team.
Shane took up the position of Cavan GAA HDA in January and was very energetic and passionate in his role and had so many plans. A true gentleman taken before his time.
As a mark of respect to Shane, today's Ulster Minor Shield Finals in hurling and football between Cavan and Tyrone were postponed.
All in Cavan GAA extend our deepest sympathies to Shane's wife Vanessa, their daughter Aisling, the extended Mulholland family, friends and colleagues.
Ar dhéis Dé go raibh a ainm.

mylestheslasher

Robbieswift - You do have some cousins remaining in Killeshandra and I can tell you apart from Packie, Johnny and your grandmother there were I think 1 others who emigrated to Scotland I think (Lena). When Killeshandra's pitch was opened the daughter of Lena came from Scotland to open the pitch.

In any case you have a large family of cousins remaining and I know they have good knowledge of the Devlin family and McKiernans (Packies mothers maiden name was McKiernan).

See here, you can see the Devlin household in the 1911 census...

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/results.jsp?searchMoreVisible=false&census_year=1911&surname=devlin&firstname=&county19011911=Cavan&county1821=&county1831=&county1841=&county1851=&parish=&ward=&barony=&townland=killashandra&houseNumber=&ded=&age=&sex=&search=Search&ageInMonths=&relationToHead=&religion=&education=&occupation=&marriageStatus=&yearsMarried=&birthplace=&nativeCountry=&language=&deafdumb=&causeOfDeath=&yearOfDeath=&familiesNumber=&malesNumber=&femalesNumber=&maleServNumber=&femaleServNumber=&estChurchNumber=&romanCatNumber=&presbNumber=&protNumber=&marriageYears=&childrenBorn=&childrenLiving=

I will IM you incase you are not following the thread...

robbieswift

Myles., many thanks for your help. You are very kind. Strange looking at the census as it doesn't show my Granny, Annie Mary, or her sister Delia who emigrated to England with her. I know she was born in 1903 or 1904. Strange, but there has always been some mystery around my Granny's origins and she never talked about it.

It's nice to know we have family still in Ireland.

robbieswift

Looking at the census, there was an Annie Devlin, aged 8, living at  Drumgoohy. Also living there were Bessie (70) and Bridget (17). Perhaps a Grandmother and sister? This is interesting as I do recall some talk that Annie and her sister may not have lived with the rest of the family. Perhaps Bridget was Delia's real name. She could always have changed it in England. Mysterious!

mylestheslasher

Robbie - did you get my IM?

The guy I sent you an email for should be able to fill in some of the blanks.