Connacht Minor, U-20 and Junior championships 2020

Started by Farrandeelin, April 25, 2018, 08:59:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Didn't realise we were having the U20 game in Kiltoom Cunny.
Probably to avoid giving Galway the advantage of playing us on a better bigger pitch?
I still cant fathom why Sligo n the minor didn't put out their B team against us and have their first 15 rested for the Semi Final.
The semi should have been fixed for Friday like all the other minor games but when you know who saw Mayowestros were back in.....we have a Wednesday fixture and a 5 day turnaround for Sligo.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

galwayman

Quote from: macdanger2 on June 27, 2019, 09:47:36 AM
Quote from: Owenmoresider on June 27, 2019, 09:39:37 AM
The venue decision only serves to confirm again all our suspicions about the provincial body and how it is run, and for whom. A bit unfair too that this game wasn't played this evening or tomorrow evening, giving teams who played last Friday and extra day or two to recover. Could have been the same for both teams of course had the pairing worked out differently, but it did seem to tell at times last night. Of course neither of these things would excuse the defending for the Mayo goals, but that's where the self-inflicted part comes in again.

I agree that Sligo should have had home advantage for finishing 2nd but surely this is something that should have been agreed up front. I'm not sure about the conspiracy theories though, isn't it the case that if Sligo won, ye would have had home advantage against Galway despite them finishing top?
Pretty sure it's every second game on a home and away basis. Certainly for Galway it seems like it has been that way anyway.
We won all our games in Connacht last year at minor level but played the Connacht final away anyway.
That rule is probably a legacy of when it was a straight knockout competition and should probably be changed now that we have around robin system so that the top team gets home advantage in the final and the team that finishes second gets home advantage in the semi final.
The home and away arrangement was overruled in the past for the final because it was generally always played as a curtain raiser to the senior final wherever that would be played.

weareros

Got to feel very bad for Sligo. They did the right sporting thing to play to win the Roscommon game but they would have been better served to rest their best players. A loss or a draw and they had home advantage in their semi less than a week later. A win and they brought Mayo back in, lost home advantage to a fresher team that had the added incentive of getting revenge for the earlier loss - and were a strong team as we know.. It's always harder to beat Mayo and Galway a second time, as indeed it will be for us should we come up against them later in senior championship. In the other scenario I think Sligo would have won Connacht, as they had the incentive to beat Galway at second time of asking, and are a very good team that the system did not serve well.

Blowitupref

Quote from: Blowitupref on June 21, 2019, 09:55:52 PM
Sligo after coming through a tough battle tonight are at a disadvantage i feel. The semi final v a rested Mayo is in 5 days time.

I called the disadvantage at the time and i'd say in hindsight Sligo will feel they should have rested players for that Roscommon game or not had taken that game as serious as they did. 
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

rosnarun

If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

TheClubman

Quote from: Owenmoresider on June 27, 2019, 09:56:53 AM
The venue decision only serves to confirm again all our suspicions about the provincial body and how it is run, and for whom. A bit unfair too that this game wasn't played this evening or tomorrow evening, giving teams who played last Friday and extra day or two to recover. Could have been the same for both teams of course had the pairing worked out differently, but it did seem to tell at times last night. Of course neither of these things would excuse the defending for the Mayo goals, but that's where the self-inflicted part comes in again.

I agree that Sligo should have had home advantage for finishing 2nd but surely this is something that should have been agreed up front. I'm not sure about the conspiracy theories though, isn't it the case that if Sligo won, ye would have had home advantage against Galway despite them finishing top?
http://connachtgaa.ie/news/connacht-minor-championship/

Note the home team in the semi-final pairing.

I've no axe to grind with either county as I'm not even from Connaught but this is the scéal I've heard. The fixtures for all Connaught Championships went out last December and stated, as per the link above, that 2nd had home advantage in the u17 semi final. These fixtures were circulated on a couple of more occasions with exact same format. Sligo believed per the fixture plan that if they lost v Roscommon they were away to Galway in the semi final. It seems that this fixtures plan, which was circulated by Connaught council several times, had in fact not been ratified and this came to light at the fixtures meeting last Saturday. Sounds like someone was keeping that information up their sleeve in case it was needed.....

Cunny Funt

Quote from: TheClubman on June 27, 2019, 12:59:51 PM

I've no axe to grind with either county as I'm not even from Connaught but this is the scéal I've heard. The fixtures for all Connaught Championships went out last December and stated, as per the link above, that 2nd had home advantage in the u17 semi final. These fixtures were circulated on a couple of more occasions with exact same format. Sligo believed per the fixture plan that if they lost v Roscommon they were away to Galway in the semi final. It seems that this fixtures plan, which was circulated by Connaught council several times, had in fact not been ratified and this came to light at the fixtures meeting last Saturday. Sounds like someone was keeping that information up their sleeve in case it was needed.....
believed wrong so as would have been at home to Galway and as said already more of a incentive to beat Galway at second time of asking.

Last year had no semi final just the top two in the group reached the final. If that format wasn't changed it would be a Sligo v Galway final and played in Markievicz Park  now as last year Roscommon who finished 2nd in table had home advantage for the final as they played Galway in Tuam in the group game.

TheClubman

Quote from: Cunny Funt on June 27, 2019, 01:13:01 PM

believed wrong so as would have been at home to Galway and as said already more of a incentive to beat Galway at second time of asking.

Last year had no semi final just the top two in the group reached the final. If that format wasn't changed it would be a Sligo v Galway final and played in Markievicz Park  now as last year Roscommon who finished 2nd in table had home advantage for the final as they played Galway in Tuam in the group game.

You seem to have misunderstood what I posted. If Sligo had lost they'd have finished 3rd in the group. Galway would have been 2nd. Per the fixtures plan, this would have meant Sligo v Galway in Tuam as the 2nd place team is clearly denoted to have home advantage. That's what I've been told and it stacks up.

If what you're saying about there not being a semi final last year is true, and the new fixtures plan wasn't ratified, then it should have been straight through to a Sligo v Galway final in Markievicz Park with no semi final.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: TheClubman on June 27, 2019, 01:23:38 PM

You seem to have misunderstood what I posted. If Sligo had lost they'd have finished 3rd in the group. Galway would have been 2nd. Per the fixtures plan, this would have meant Sligo v Galway in Tuam as the 2nd place team is clearly denoted to have home advantage. That's what I've been told and it stacks up.

If what you're saying about there not being a semi final last year is true, and the new fixtures plan wasn't ratified, then it should have been straight through to a Sligo v Galway final in Markievicz Park with no semi final.

By right the team that finished 2nd in the group should be getting home advantage for a semi final/play off but that wasn't case in this years format. (2nd place Galway v 3rd place Sligo would be played in Markievicz Park)

It seems Sligo management misunderstood the situation when in hindsight they should have rested players for their final group game. 

TheClubman

Quote from: Cunny Funt on June 27, 2019, 01:47:59 PM

By right the team that finished 2nd in the group should be getting home advantage for a semi final/play off but that wasn't case in this years format. (2nd place Galway v 3rd place Sligo would be played in Markievicz Park)

It seems Sligo management misunderstood the situation when in hindsight they should have rested players for their final group game.

Can I ask you - did you click on the link posted by someone above? I must not be communicating this very well or you're simply ingonring the facts.

weareros

Quote from: TheClubman on June 27, 2019, 01:54:13 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on June 27, 2019, 01:47:59 PM

Can I ask you - did you click on the link posted by someone above? I must not be communicating this very well or you're simply ingonring the facts.

You are assuming first unknown teams  mentioned gets home advantage when it does not state that. Not how Connacht typically works as Mayo were going to get home advantage because the group game was in Sligo. It was posted here and elsewhere that a Sligo Mayo semi would give home advantage for Mayo, whereas Galway was home for Sligo. Bigger issue was the 5 day turnaround. In that sense it was pointless putting such a huge effort into that when the dubious prize was a rested Mayo away.

Cunny Funt

Nothing on that link states home advantage would be given to the 2nd place team in the group. For example If Mayo had topped the group the final would still be played in Tuam.

Quote from: weareros on June 27, 2019, 02:15:03 PM
Bigger issue was the 5 day turnaround. In that sense it was pointless putting such a huge effort into that when the dubious prize was a rested Mayo away.
Agreed.

sligoman2

Quote from: Cunny Funt on June 27, 2019, 02:19:07 PM

Nothing on that link states home advantage would be given to the 2nd place team in the group. For example If Mayo had topped the group the final would still be played in Tuam.

Quote from: weareros on June 27, 2019, 02:15:03 PM
Bigger issue was the 5 day turnaround. In that sense it was pointless putting such a huge effort into that when the dubious prize was a rested Mayo away.
Agreed.

I find it impossible to believe that the venue of a semi final is not determined in advance.  This reeks of favoritism or else incompetency and in either case prunty and co should be kicked out ASAP. 
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

Blowitupref

Connacht U20 semi finals on tomorrow

Roscommon V Galway – Kiltoom, 7.30pm

Mayo V Sligo –  MacHale Park 7.30pm

The winners will meet in the final the following Wednesday at 7.30pm, venue TBC.

Roscommon: Rob Kearney, Enda Killoran, Evan Flynn, Robbie Dolan, Michael Conroy, Niall Higgins, Gerry Galvin, Patrick Fannon, Padraig Halpin, Daire Keenan, Ronan Dowd, Thomas O'Rourke, Brian Derwin, Paul Carey, Dylan Ruane

Galway: Oran Burke, Ross Mahon, Seán Mulkerrin, Eoghan McFadden, Liam Boyle, Ciarán Potter, Jack Kirrane, Matthias Barrett, Michael Collins, Matthew Tierney, Gavin Burke, Ben O'Connell, Darragh Silke, Padraig Costello, Rory Cunningham

Mayo: Jamie McNicholas, Jack Coyne, Rory Brickenden, Oisin Mullin, Aaron McDonnell, Conor Beirne, Eoghan McLoughlin, Evan O'Brien, Gavin Durcan, John Gallagher, Paul Towey, Paddy Goldrick, Aiden Orme, Stephen McGreal, Tommy Conroy

Sligo: Alan Davey, Evan Lyons, Josh Ellis, David Barrett, Cian Surlis, Karl McKenna, Niall Connolly, Barry Gorman, Dillon McDermott, Gavin Gorman, Alan Reilly, James Carroll, Luke Towey, Shane Deignan, Rory McHugh

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Rossfan

I think we e named same team as started last week.
Hopefully 4 or 5 changes to avoid an awful tanking.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM