Next Laois football manager

Started by SCFC, July 30, 2019, 06:41:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SCFC

South Laois man

That's a huge setback. No obvious candidates to take over either. I hope we don't go back to journey man managers.

Heshs Umpire

I really wasn't expecting that. Big blow. Next appointment is vital. Let's hope we do as well as we did when appointing John.
Well I could keep it above
But then it wouldn't be sky anymore

steven seagal

Shocked to hear that, was hoping he would be around for at least two more years. He put a huge amount of time into it, it cant be easy to give that much commitment, run a business and rear a family as well. He'll be hard to replace. Best wishes to him in the future.

Silkyskillssunshinee

Huge loss. Thought we might have got another year out of him. Best of luck to him in whatever he does next. I can see him potentially getting the Kerry role somewhere down the line.

As for who's going to come in now, not easy to predict. No obvious candidates inside Laois. Padraig Clancy is the only one I can think of that might be up to scratch, but not even sure at that.

Keyser Söze

He probably will have to do something else at IC level to get the Kerry job, whether it is the Kerry senior backroom team again, the Kerry Minor/u21s, or another senior IC job.
That job is not handed out too easily.

No idea where you could now. But those in positions of power should ensure that John Evans et al (and no doubt several of them will apply) don't get an interview.

2 slightly left field ones - Niall Rigney or Liam Kearns back again? Bearing in mind what ye manager's actual role is?
Presuming Jack O' Connor couldn't be convinced we probably need to do all we can to avoid outside spoofers.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

Joeythelips

Was a bit shocked but fair play to Sugrue. He did great work to get back to back promotions and he blooded plenty of players. We need to find someone with a similar mindset as we will have some decent players coming through over the next year or two from the u-20's.

High Fielder

Ask him to reconsider. Alternatives don't exist for Laois. There is nobody out there within our reach who could come close to him. I thought he was on the start of a journey, not the end. Hugely disappointing news

Chrimtain

To me, there often seemed to be a note of frustration in his post match interviews. It appeared to me that he was frustrated that he was not getting he best out of the team.

There is no obvious replacement, but I hope that the county board look hard for a good man.

recyclebin

Did he release a statement saying why? Laois were on the way back up. Strange that he is stepping away now. Division 2 would have been a good test for his management skills if he wanted a bigger job down the line.

BallyroanAbu

BallyroanAbu

Quote from: Keyser Söze on July 30, 2019, 07:22:16 PM
He probably will have to do something else at IC level to get the Kerry job, whether it is the Kerry senior backroom team again, the Kerry Minor/u21s, or another senior IC job.

No idea where you could now. But those in positions of power should ensure that John Evans et al (and no doubt several of them will apply) don't get an interview.

2 slightly left field ones - Niall Rigney or Liam Kearns back again? Bearing in mind what ye manager's actual role is?
Presuming Jack O' Connor couldn't be convinced we probably need to do all we can to avoid outside spoofers.

Liam Kearns, Niall Rigney seriously ? 

thejuice

Strange decision alright even if things always didn't go your way, like the league final and the Meath and Cork games but there are teams in much worse positions than Laois and there's a bit of talent still there in the squad and a good bit of experience too.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Keyser Söze

Quote from: BallyroanAbu on July 30, 2019, 09:36:19 PM
Quote from: Keyser Söze on July 30, 2019, 07:22:16 PM

Liam Kearns, Niall Rigney seriously ?

As I said "left field". Have no problem with an opposing opinion- but I do prefer when an actual critique is given, or at the very least some alternatives!
I think you could make a very strong case for Liam Kearns.
Rigney is a former intercounty manager and an extremely experienced coach.
As I said, bear in mind the actual role of the manager.
I am not pushing for or promoting either, just racking my head for suitable "possibles". There aren't too many!
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

on the hop

Jerome stack wouldn't be a bad outside bet