NFL Division 1 2024

Started by Blowitupref, January 16, 2023, 08:23:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: inroundthesquare on April 02, 2024, 01:32:57 PMHow Dublin escaped the mini-melee and the final melee after the goal in extra time with a single yellow card is bizarre.

No Derry players carded?

Derryman forever

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on April 02, 2024, 05:25:00 PM
Quote from: inroundthesquare on April 02, 2024, 01:32:57 PMHow Dublin escaped the mini-melee and the final melee after the goal in extra time with a single yellow card is bizarre.

No Derry players carded?

Connor Glass.

Truthsayer

Quote from: Derryman forever on April 02, 2024, 04:44:42 PM
Quote from: Truthsayer on April 02, 2024, 04:42:46 PMBit of an overreaction to Derry's 'win'... it was a draw fulltime and extra-time and Dublin won't be so pourous come championship. However I think that's Derry's full hand albeit impressive.

You think Dublin were not playing to win?
Not in the way they would a big championship game. Did you ever see their backline so loose? Could easily have conceeded six goals. I'd be very surprised if they are as pourous in June/July.

joemamas

Quote from: JoG2 on April 02, 2024, 08:18:08 AMI went off giving out about refs for lent and will stick with it. Like players, ref's will obviously make mistakes, that's the rub of the green. Hand on heart I don't think a ref ever goes out to go easier on one horse in a two horse race. It's always in my mind too that the ref, during any passage of play will most likely be viewing a passage of play from a different angle than myself.
We were a couple of rows back from the pitch, the speed and physicality of both sets of players was off the charts, pretty much no let up for 90+ mins

Was not there on Sunday, but that was also my initial reaction after being at the all-Ireland last year.

joemamas

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on April 02, 2024, 04:03:52 PMIf they do win the ulster 1st seed. They be destined to met Dublin in a semi if they top the group qualifiers and win their quarter final. If they lost in Ulster and did draw in Kerry Dublin section in the qualifiers they might be better placed to avoid Dublin to the final If they managed to progress that far, food for thought.

Not true. Semi-finals pairing are based on a draw, unless two of the four have met in the group stages, I.E Derry v Monaghan met in group stages in 2023, therefore no need for a draw for semis.

inroundthesquare

Quote from: joemamas on April 02, 2024, 06:30:37 PM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on April 02, 2024, 04:03:52 PMIf they do win the ulster 1st seed. They be destined to met Dublin in a semi if they top the group qualifiers and win their quarter final. If they lost in Ulster and did draw in Kerry Dublin section in the qualifiers they might be better placed to avoid Dublin to the final If they managed to progress that far, food for thought.

Not true. Semi-finals pairing are based on a draw, unless two of the four have met in the group stages, I.E Derry v Monaghan met in group stages in 2023, therefore no need for a draw for semis.

There was still a draw last year iirc as Dublin v Derry, and Kerry v Monaghan would have been acceptable pairings.

inroundthesquare

Quote from: Truthsayer on April 02, 2024, 06:20:21 PM
Quote from: Truthsayer on April 02, 2024, 04:42:46 PMBit of an overreaction to Derry's 'win'... it was a draw fulltime and extra-time and Dublin won't be so pourous come championship. However I think that's Derry's full hand albeit impressive.

Not in the way they would a big championship game. Did you ever see their backline so loose? Could easily have conceeded six goals. I'd be very surprised if they are as pourous in June/July.

In fairness Kerry in the league could have had a couple more goals against Dublin, Clifford blasted a couple over and butchered another one wide.
Expect them to tighten up for Championship, only conceded one goal through the whole of the Round Robin & Knockout stages. Cluxton likely being back too will help.

Captain Obvious

Was no such talk in media about a penalty shootout not a fair way to settle a GAA match after Armagh lost 3 shootouts over past 2 years in the Championship however as soon as it's the Dubs who lost a league final in that manner the questions come out.

marty34

I think people have got on to penalties now. It's not an issue anymore.

Finishing the game on the day, after extra-time and penalties is fine.

It's hapoened a few times in big games now. Definately a lottery but good entertainment for all.

Everybody knows the drill now.

Derryman forever

So you do think they weren't playing to win?

Truthsayer

Quote from: Derryman forever on April 02, 2024, 07:30:38 PM

They wouldn't have celebrated like they just won the World Cup lol!. I don't think they were overly bothered.

armaghniac

Quote from: marty34 on April 02, 2024, 07:04:02 PMI think people have got on to penalties now. It's not an issue anymore.

It's hapoened a few times in big games now. Definately a lottery but good entertainment for all.

I still think it is a limited assessment of skill, and an excellent team with a dodgy goalie could lose out. Perhaps 3 penalties and 3 45s?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Derryman forever

Quote from: Truthsayer on April 02, 2024, 07:33:40 PM
Quote from: Derryman forever on April 02, 2024, 07:30:38 PM

They wouldn't have celebrated like they just won the World Cup lol!. I don't think they were overly bothered.

Do you think someone celebrated like they won the world cup?
Who was that?

Blowitupref

Quote from: marty34 on April 02, 2024, 07:04:02 PMI think people have got on to penalties now. It's not an issue anymore.

It's happened a few times in big games now. Definitely a lottery but good entertainment for all.

Sure I'm not alone when I say I haven't warmed to penalty shootouts to decide a GAA match. Would have prefer another period of extra time on Sunday or first score wins.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

seafoid

Quote from: HiMucker on April 02, 2024, 05:19:50 PM
Quote from: seafoid on April 02, 2024, 04:16:08 PM
Quote from: Derryman forever on April 02, 2024, 04:11:10 PM
My thoughts:
You might be able to manage to lose a game here or there.
But that will only make the management of winning them more problematic.
Try to win every game and you will lose the unwinnable  anyway
Trying to win every game isn't necessarily the best approach in the new system
There is a not a single team that won't be trying to win every single championship match they are involved in. This talk around peaking at the right time is getting a bit mental. It's far more to do with training load than matches. If it's impact injuries you are worried about, you are nearly as likely to sustain them in training as a match, given the intensity teams be going at it in training.
That is incorrect, hi.
Amateur teams cannot go at full tilt from now until the Hogan steps. There is no recovery time. Padraic Joyce said on RTE that a team playing pre season and ending up in the all Ireland final would play 18 matches in around 25 weeks.