Irish News

Started by WT4E, July 21, 2014, 04:01:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Fearon

I knew you would get there eventually.👍

omaghjoe

Quote from: muppet on May 15, 2016, 03:44:34 PM

There may be a God, but there is little evidence for Him. Our ancestors historic need to have a God is not evidence.

Are you back looking for empirical evidence of God again Muppet?

omaghjoe

Tony, how would someone know if they are not able to keep their vows in advance? I imagine if they knew this they wouldn't take them in the first place. Its having the intention and will to keep their vows thats important. You have heard of confession and forgiveness?

Arthur_Friend

Quote from: T Fearon on May 15, 2016, 05:01:08 PM
Rubbish,it's the doctrine that matters not the human people.No one defends the likes of Brendan Smyth.

It's still optional to accept or reject belief in God,and if the Catholic Church were tinkering with doctrine to increase popularity then your argument would have an element of truth.

Does it sayanywhere in the Bible priests should be celibate?

omaghjoe

Tony's understand of Catholic teaching is way off, on the one hand he quotes the bible and then the next he is talking about doctrine. For Catholics the doctrine of the church, which is derived from many things including scripture (primarily the Gospels) is the key thing to follow.

However the doctrine like most things in life is complicated and often contradictory, key thing to remember is its not a complete step by step guide to your life, we have to make our own judgments too, that is actually what we are here for.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Arthur_Friend on May 15, 2016, 05:31:57 PM
Rubbish,it's the doctrine that matters not the human people.No one defends the likes of Brendan Smyth.

It's still optional to accept or reject belief in God,and if the Catholic Church were tinkering with doctrine to increase popularity then your argument would have an element of truth.

Must be just in the catholic bible
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

OgraAnDun

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 15, 2016, 05:47:44 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong but I do believe that in medieval times, priests were allowed to marry. Therefore you would have to assume that the New Testament doesn't have much to say about it.

muppet

Quote from: OgraAnDun on May 15, 2016, 05:51:49 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 15, 2016, 05:47:44 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong but I do believe that in medieval times, priests were allowed to marry. Therefore you would have to assume that the New Testament doesn't have much to say about it.

Celibacy isn't considered a doctrine, despite Tony's nonsense.

It is a discipline.
MWWSI 2017

general_lee

Quote from: Rossfan on May 15, 2016, 12:04:09 PM
Quote from: general_lee on May 15, 2016, 11:43:47 AM
Stories like this highlight how f**king utterly stupid organised religion is and the type of cretins who believe every word written in the Bible.
Very intolerant an illiberal comment.
I'm sorry I find it hard to take people who think dinosaurs never existed seriously. I don't mind people practicing their faith, my own family do. But they've a bit of f**king cop on when it comes to actually practicing some of the more basic aspects of Christianity, you know like love thy neighbour.

The Iceman

Fr Rory is a decent fella. He messed up.  It's perfectly fine to be a Gay priest. It's perfectly fine to be a Gay parishioner. It isn't acceptable to act on those attractions and have sex outside of sacramental marriage. To disregard the vows he took of celibacy and obedience is a grave offense. 
Let's be honest here - Grindr isn't a dating site - it's a way for gay men to schedule sex with each other. If you read the reports from the source of the story "Eoin"  - Rory Coyle told him of multiple gay orgies in London and Dublin and random sex with strangers around Ireland.  He messed up royally. Maybe it's all lies? Who knows....
Who in their right mind would post naked pictures of themselves  - I think he was hoping to be caught and end the double life charade he has been living....

I agree as parishioners, people should continue to love and support him and pray for him and his well-being. But supporting him and supporting his behaviour are two very different things.

Why do gay men get a free ticket to have sex on demand with whoever they want? Why is that now supported and applauded? Have we resolved as a society that gay men need to have unlimited sex with unlimited partners just because they are gay?

Would you look at this case with the same sympathy if women around the country came forward in their dozens saying he had used them for random sex?

It's a very sad case. I'm disappointed he chose the path he did.  I won't support his behaviour but I'll continue to pray for his wellbeing.

I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

el_cuervo_fc

Tony. Here's a few wee rules from the bible you should make sure to adhere to. You should definitely pay particular attention to the last one.

1 Corinthians 14:34:

"Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience as also saith the law."

Leviticus 11:7–8:

"And the pig, because it parts the hoof and is cloven-footed but does not chew the cud, is unclean to you. You shall not eat any of their flesh, and you shall not touch their carcasses; they are unclean to you."

Leviticus 19:19:

"You are to keep My statutes. You shall not breed together two kinds of your cattle; you shall not sow your field with two kinds of seed, nor wear a garment upon you of two kinds of material mixed together."

Leviticus 10–11 reads:

"And all that have not fins and scales in the seas, and in the rivers, of all that move in the waters, and of any living thing which is in the waters, they shall be even an abomination unto you; ye shall not eat of their flesh, but ye shall have their carcasses in abomination."

Exodus 31:14–15:

"Ye shall keep the sabbath therefore; for it is holy unto you: every one that defileth it shall surely be put to death: for whosoever doeth any work therein, that soul shall be cut off from among his people. Six days may work be done; but in the seventh is the sabbath of rest, holy to the LORD: whosoever doeth any work in the sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death."

Leviticus 19:27:

"You shall not round off the side-growth of your heads, neither shalt thou mar the corners of thy beard."

1 Corinthians 6:18 reads:

"Every other sin a person commits is outside the body, but the sexually immoral person sins against his own body."

Tony Baloney

Quote from: The Iceman on May 15, 2016, 07:03:11 PM
Fr Rory is a decent fella. He messed up.  It's perfectly fine to be a Gay priest. It's perfectly fine to be a Gay parishioner. It isn't acceptable to act on those attractions and have sex outside of sacramental marriage. To disregard the vows he took of celibacy and obedience is a grave offense. 
Let's be honest here - Grindr isn't a dating site - it's a way for gay men to schedule sex with each other. If you read the reports from the source of the story "Eoin"  - Rory Coyle told him of multiple gay orgies in London and Dublin and random sex with strangers around Ireland.  He messed up royally. Maybe it's all lies? Who knows....
Who in their right mind would post naked pictures of themselves  - I think he was hoping to be caught and end the double life charade he has been living....

I agree as parishioners, people should continue to love and support him and pray for him and his well-being. But supporting him and supporting his behaviour are two very different things.

Why do gay men get a free ticket to have sex on demand with whoever they want? Why is that now supported and applauded? Have we resolved as a society that gay men need to have unlimited sex with unlimited partners just because they are gay?

Would you look at this case with the same sympathy if women around the country came forward in their dozens saying he had used them for random sex?

It's a very sad case. I'm disappointed he chose the path he did.  I won't support his behaviour but I'll continue to pray for his wellbeing.
How is this different from heterosexual people using Tinder for the same reasons?

imtommygunn

Exactly tony. The whole internet dating thing now is like that so to pick on gay people for their use of it is wrong - it is not exclusive to gay people.

T Fearon

I presume you mean Iceman.Bottom line is Catholic Clergy should not be aware of internet dating sites much less using them.

muppet

Quote from: T Fearon on May 15, 2016, 10:44:03 PM
I presume you mean Iceman.Bottom line is Catholic Clergy should not be aware of internet dating sites much less using them.

How are you aware of them?
MWWSI 2017