Kimmage article about the scandal at O Dwyer's

Started by Asal Mor, June 03, 2018, 12:14:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Jinxy on June 06, 2018, 10:21:54 PM
It's as if adults have forgotten what it is like to be a kid.
Throw a ball to a gang of 10 year olds and walk away from them.
Will they:
a) Happily pass the ball around in a circle ensuring equal time for everyone?
or,
b) Pick teams and try to beat each other?
There is a difference between healthy competition and unhealthy competition.
Unhealthy competition usually occurs only when the parents get involved.

Exactly and it's no different in any aspect of their lives. Any parents of an 11 year old will testify to the frustration of them if they lose a game online in FIFA or Fortnite or the like. They go crazy if they lose. They are naturally competitive. We hinder them in my opinion if w don't harness that. It can be extreme sometimes and that is wrong but it should not be lost either

Rudi

Quote from: trailer on June 04, 2018, 11:02:51 AM
As an underage coach I have to admit this puts me right off. Who wants to end up in a national newspaper over the head of some grievance from a parent / another volunteer. f**k that.
Kimmage is making more out of this than there is, but's it now clear you have to be ultra, ultra cautious as a coach.

I agree. I'm a volunteer giving up 5 hours a week, losing money and some parents are unresponsive to texts, I send out for games so I have an idea of numbers. Now every move, every touch and word spoken is up for intense scrutiny.

manfromdelmonte

look at the way some counties run their primary school competitions
in some counties  games are during school encouraging participation amongst all the pupils
in other counties they play the games after school or in the evenings so parents and the clubs can take over

mup

[/quote]

I agree. I'm a volunteer giving up 5 hours a week, losing money and some parents are unresponsive to texts, I send out for games so I have an idea of numbers. Now every move, every touch and word spoken is up for intense scrutiny.
[/quote]

I hear ya.

was involved up to this year for numerous years. It's a constant ongoing battle to get parents to respond to texts etc. It wears you down wondering if you have a team right up to throw-in.

I cannot see myself going back to it anytime soon.

rosnarun

Quote from: heffo on June 04, 2018, 01:45:25 AM
Quote from: Jinxy on June 03, 2018, 10:41:51 PM
Why would GAA insurance even cover something like defamation?

I’d imagine it’s a catch all cover for GAA officers that they will be underwritten for issues arising discharging their role (however hairbrained they may be)

If the defamation came from the Chair of a Gaa meeting . the officer was acting on behalf of the GAA and they were open to be sued .
Would 'the driver ' be happy if the GAA completely washed its hand of the matter.
Maybe he wanted to sue both and make huge sums of money by holdng out the threat of major international righer of wrongs Kimmage,

I have lived in important places, times
When great events were decided, who owned
That half a rood of rock, a no-man's land
Surrounded by our pitchfork-armed claims.
I heard the Duffys shouting "Damn your soul!"
And old McCabe stripped to the waist, seen
Step the plot defying blue cast-steel -
"Here is the march along these iron stones."
That was the year of the Munich bother. Which
Was more important? I inclined
To lose my faith in Ballyrush and Gortin
Till Homer's ghost came whispering to my mind.
He said: I made the Iliad from such
A local row. Gods make their own importance.

Patrick Kavanagh
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

johnnycool

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on June 07, 2018, 10:23:49 AM
Will they:
or,

Exactly and it's no different in any aspect of their lives. Any parents of an 11 year old will testify to the frustration of them if they lose a game online in FIFA or Fortnite or the like. They go crazy if they lose. They are naturally competitive. We hinder them in my opinion if w don't harness that. It can be extreme sometimes and that is wrong but it should not be lost either

Kids are instinctively competitive and that's a good thing.

The problems arise when the coach or parents along the line get competitive, do and say things that are beyond what should be deemed acceptable. Some coaches think they're managing senior teams at times.

bigarsedkeeper

Quote from: johnnycool on June 07, 2018, 12:49:57 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on June 07, 2018, 10:23:49 AM
Will they:
or,

Kids are instinctively competitive and that's a good thing.

The problems arise when the coach or parents along the line get competitive, do and say things that are beyond what should be deemed acceptable. Some coaches think they're managing senior teams at times.
I couldn't agree more with this last comment. Some parents and coaches shouldn't be near teams - roaring and shouting at young girls and boys and questioning referees decisions in U8 challenge matches.
I personally think one of the issues comes from what age kids start now. Some parents expect the kids to be at the same skill level they were when they started - which was probably under 12 - but they're telling their wee fella off for not kicking the ball over the bar. If he spend any time playing or coaching with the child he'd realise the 5 year old can't kick the ball from his hands yet. And usually the same da couldn't kick snow off a ditch.

Dinny Breen

I coach players to be warriors not winners, to give it there all and when they leave the pitch they have no regrets. I preach honesty, hard-work and playing for the team. These are life lessons I try to impart, when you win great, enjoy the feeling, when you lose you ask yourself/players what you could have done different and learn from it but you move on. Of course kids are competitive but there's winning the right way and there's winning the wrong way.

My own coaching philosophies.

Treat all players the same, no egos players or coaches, reward hard work and commitment with selection, don't be afraid to sacrifice short-term success for the longer-term, make it fun, respect the officials (I struggle here if I am honest) and the opposition.

#newbridgeornowhere

Croí na hÉireann

You've been reading this I see Dinny  ;) http://changingthegameproject.com/developing-warriors-not-winners-path-excellence/

I'd be on the same page as yourself, although I'm coaching u7 girls so they're not as competitive as boys. Trying to stay away from blitz style matches for this year, more game based. Although played some 2v2 matches a couple of weeks ago based on this http://www.icoachkids.eu/dribbling-football-how-a-children-centred-approach-led-belgian-youth-football-from-11v-1-into-2v2.html and they went down a bomb (mainly due to the fact there was no keepers and everyone was scoring).
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Dinny Breen

Ha! No I get that from the All-Blacks, big influence on my coaching. But I have seen it other places too, did a sport-psych diploma and it comes up a lot. I would be big into intrinsic motivation, Jim Gavin and the Dublin footballers are big into the process, if they didn't have all that money I would be their biggest fan  ;D

Good read and I am going to rob that second link.
#newbridgeornowhere

Boycey

Orchard park

If anyone ever needed a righ trimming it's that fuckd up ex cyclist

Jinxy

I believe his next article will lift the lid on blood doping in Go Games.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Baile Brigín

As a local involved in the club people seem to be missing two points.

1. The GAA, in the absence of any censure are perceived to be backing the club and Liam Howley.

2. Howley is destroying the club. And the club was struggling long before this incident.

The Driver is a committed Gael and refused to take money from the club. He is entirely the wronged party. His treatment is disgusting and the ordinary members have been cut off at the knees. Refusing to allow the kids on that team play, punishing them to get at the Driver, is a disgrace. We aren't losing kids to other clubs, we are losing them to the far better run soccer and rugby clubs in the area. Better facilities, none of this messing.

I can only assume the DCB and Croke Park are backing him because of the property play with Fingal CC to move up the road in a land swap. And they are having to do that because the facilities are a shambles.

I have serious fears for the club and efforts to get answers, let alone accountability have been stonewalled.