?

?
62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Main Street

Quote from: BennyCake on February 26, 2019, 10:37:14 PM
This talk of Celtics poor Euro form. What do people expect like? There's not a hope in hell Celtic could compete with the major teams from Spain Italy, England Germany etc.

The fact is, Scottish football is a minnow league in Europe and the tv money they get is minuscule, and their teams will just not be good enough when up against the super powers
Yabba yabba  yabba, Who is expecting Celtic to pump league winners from the top leagues in Europe?
Quit with the hysterical nonsense.
Celtic did well in europe with Lennon and with a bit more support from the board that level of "success" could have been maintained. It's not out of the equation that a club like Celtic can achieve what a club like Ajax or Benfica do manage on a more regular basis. Champions league group stages is a goal, not a right. 

omaghjoe

Wheres Fearon now? Looks like he was right about Brendan Rodgers! But none of ye would listen.

Mr Lennon will surely get a raputourous return to Edinburgh tomorrow night

Over the Bar

Fearon now supports Leicester presumably!  ;D

tonto1888

This talk of Celtics poor Euro form. What do people expect like? There's not a hope in hell Celtic could compete with the major teams from Spain Italy, England Germany etc.

The fact is, Scottish football is a minnow league in Europe and the tv money they get is minuscule, and their teams will just not be good enough when up against the super powers

Nobody expects us to win it but some of the results under Rodgers were absolutely horrible and shouldn't have haooebed

tonto1888

Quote from: marty34 on February 26, 2019, 11:26:58 PM
How much compensation do Leicester have to pay Celtic now? 
Any proper figure especially as it's mid-season.

If it was sorted for June, I'd understand but I think doing it now has ruined his reputation especially after signing Brown up for another contract.

What must Scott Brown be thinking today???

I was thinking about Brown yesterday. Betrayed I would imagine. Who else signed contracts recently? Wonder what Dembele thinks

charlieTully

Quote from: tonto1888 on February 27, 2019, 07:26:40 AM

If it was sorted for June, I'd understand but I think doing it now has ruined his reputation especially after signing Brown up for another contract.

I was thinking about Brown yesterday. Betrayed I would imagine. Who else signed contracts recently? Wonder what Dembele thinks

Did Brown not deal directly with the club? Rodgers was nothing to do with his signing a new contract. The 2 are a class apart anyway. Brown has loyalty.

marty34

Quote from: charlieTully on February 27, 2019, 07:43:06 AM
Quote from: tonto1888 on February 27, 2019, 07:26:40 AM

Did Brown not deal directly with the club? Rodgers was nothing to do with his signing a new contract. The 2 are a class apart anyway. Brown has loyalty.

I beg to differ.  I'd say Brown thought BR would be there for the long haul to 10 in a row.  They always spoke very highly of each  other - very highly.

toby47

Any news on when Leigh Griffiths will be back? Is it to be before the end of the season?

MoChara

Apparently if he'd gone in the summer it would have been 5 million to buy him our of the contract and the talk is is 6 Million for doing it now. So that'll make the board a nice bonus.

screenexile

It still amazes me how personal some people take it when a player/manager leaves a football club as if it doesn't happen all the time!!

"But ... but ... we're different we're Celtic"

You're not different you're a normal football club like every other one!!

thebar

Quote from: screenexile on February 27, 2019, 09:57:24 AM
It still amazes me how personal some people take it when a player/manager leaves a football club as if it doesn't happen all the time!!

"But ... but ... we're different we're Celtic"

You're not different you're a normal football club like every other one!!

Relax kid no need to be amazed

HiMucker

Quote from: Main Street on February 27, 2019, 12:55:44 AM

Yabba yabba  yabba, Who is expecting Celtic to pump league winners from the top leagues in Europe?
Celtic did well in europe with Lennon and with a bit more support from the board that level of "success" could have been maintained. It's not out of the equation that a club like Celtic can achieve what a club like Ajax or Benfica do manage on a more regular basis. Champions league group stages is a goal, not a right.
No they cant. They may do it the odd time but they cant match them financially to do it consistently. I used to go over to Celtic matches. Still support them, but I look at football now as just entertainment, the money has completely ruined any semblance of a level playing field. Last year Celtic didnt even feature in the Worlds top 100 richest clubs. Benfica were 66th and Ajax were 36th. QPR were 82nd. Puts it in perspective. Leicester were 19th. The timing might leave a bad taste in the mouth, but I feel a lot of it is down to hurt egos in the realization of where Celtic are at in the football hierarchy. Some supporters just don't want to admit that.

trailer

Quote from: HiMucker on February 27, 2019, 10:49:28 AM
Quote from: Main Street on February 27, 2019, 12:55:44 AM

No they cant. They may do it the odd time but they cant match them financially to do it consistently. I used to go over to Celtic matches. Still support them, but I look at football now as just entertainment, the money has completely ruined any semblance of a level playing field. Last year Celtic didnt even feature in the Worlds top 100 richest clubs. Benfica were 66th and Ajax were 36th. QPR were 82nd. Puts it in perspective. Leicester were 19th. The timing might leave a bad taste in the mouth, but I feel a lot of it is down to hurt egos in the realization of where Celtic are at in the football hierarchy. Some supporters just don't want to admit that.

Interesting numbers. Can Celtic not sell the brand? Surely with a massive fan base that they have they should be able to leverage more money on the corporate side? The Scottish league isn't going to get massive viewing numbers and the money you get for competing in that is reflective. But surely a massive club like Celtic should have 100's of corporate partners? No? Utd for example have all sorts of corporate deals. Even their training kit and ground is sponsored.

themac_23

People seem to be missing the point with BR, had he gone in the summer, no bother good luck and hope all goes well. he has left us the day before a massive game at historically one of our toughest grounds to get a result. He also tried to take all the coaching staff with him which would have left us literally nobody with in-depth knowledge of the squad for Tynecastle or Hibs, luckily stevie woods and John Kennedy told him to do one and they are staying. he also sold us the line about how he loved celtic and this was his club, released a book on the back of it and also numerous public appearances from it, clearly now looking back it was his boosting his profile on the back of Celtic, nothing wrong with that of course, but if youre going to tell the world you are a celtic fan and then literally just leave at the first sign of an EPL club showing you a bit of skin at this stage of the season is an awful way to treat your supposed 'childhood club' it also tells a lot about the man that he told the players on monday he would be leaving but it wasnt done yet, then instead of going and speaking to the press himself he sent Scott Bain to do the presser knowing full well that he'd be asked about BRs future but couldn't say anything. Also telling that none of the players have put anything on Social Media thanking him or wishing him luck, goes to show how they've taken it, apparently he sent one of his representatives to lennoxtown yesterday to wish the lads luck etc and Tierney told him to f*ck off, tells us everything we need to know.

Anyway, Lennon to the end of the season will be grand, dont really want him after the summer just didnt think his football was great the last time near the end but possibly hes grown and changed since, would love to see someone like David Wagner come in