The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - Arne to Slot right in?

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

manfromdelmonte

Why does LFC have to hitch itself to every tragic death or cause? It is truly bizarre

they even laid a club wreath at the 9-11 monument in NYC when the club were playing games over there on a summer pre-season tour. Why?

quit yo jibbajabba

American owners? Theyre all at it,
also,
when ye get a minute check out Evertons pinned post on twitter
also
when ye get another minute do an oul search for me and tell me what ground the John Barnes and banana picture was taken at...

J70

Quote from: Boycey on June 02, 2020, 08:23:04 PM
Quote from: J70 on June 02, 2020, 08:00:01 PM
So what do you boys suggest?

That Liverpool FC should have went to Klopp and said "no, we're still in the doghouse, please tell Virgil and Gini stay quiet, even though the Suarez/Evra f**k-up had nothing to do with you or most of the personnel at the club"?

And if so, how long does this last?

I don't expect u to do anything J70, but I still feel entitled to still be aggrieved about it. Somebody on here recently passed a comment, can't recall who, about Roy Keane being the man that let his country down if they can still feel like that 18 years on I can hold my grudges too  :). What got on my goat was the retweets hailing Liverpool's 'class' at this amazing gesture presumably from the same eejits who gave Evra pelters at the time. Even on here and I'm aware that Utd fans would be the same had the situation been reversed not one Liverpool fan broke rank for years and said it was racist. 

For what it's worth I wouldn't be that put out at the tweet, other than I'm not sure Liverpool,  or any club for that matter, really need to wade into the middle of it. Let the players make their gestures as many have and leave it at that? But this seems to be the mawkish way the world works nowadays. I'm sure Utd have/will make their own cringeworthy contribution.

By the way it wasn't the Suarez/Evra incident, it was just the Suarez incident

Seriously?? ::)

Why would you have a problem with the clubs making statements? Entirely appropriate IMO, especially given that racist abuse/racism within the sport has been an issue they're trying to address in recent years.

Going back to the reaction of the fans here at the time, without going back and rereading everyone's posts, part of the problem was it took two months of rumour, counter-rumour and innuendo (and almost three for the full report), during which most people became defensive/sanctimonious (depending on your allegience), before a verdict came out. Human nature (we see it every summer when something happens in a Championship game). The club handling the whole thing so poorly didn't help either; its one thing for partisan fans to close ranks in the middle of the firestorm, quite another for a huge club with a PR staff to handle it so poorly.

J70

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on June 02, 2020, 08:52:47 PM
Why does LFC have to hitch itself to every tragic death or cause? It is truly bizarre

they even laid a club wreath at the 9-11 monument in NYC when the club were playing games over there on a summer pre-season tour. Why?

Laying a wreath to pay respects is an attempt to co-opt or hitch themselves to a cause?

Didn't work too well; I wasn't even aware they'd done it, and I've supported Liverpool for decades and lived in NYC for years.

laoislad

Why are you so obsessed with Liverpool FC. It's truly bizarre.
Why?
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: laoislad on June 02, 2020, 10:27:06 PM

Why?

He's follows Everton....the hate keeps them alive...

Geoff Tipps

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on June 02, 2020, 10:30:23 PM

Why?

https://twitter.com/i/status/1265307746917900290

laoislad

Quote from: Geoff Tipps on June 02, 2020, 10:36:46 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on June 02, 2020, 10:30:23 PM

Why?

https://twitter.com/i/status/1265307746917900290
That's hilarious  ;D
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Boycey

Quote from: J70 on June 02, 2020, 09:14:26 PM

That Liverpool FC should have went to Klopp and said "no, we're still in the doghouse, please tell Virgil and Gini stay quiet, even though the Suarez/Evra f**k-up had nothing to do with you or most of the personnel at the club"?

I don't expect u to do anything J70, but I still feel entitled to still be aggrieved about it. Somebody on here recently passed a comment, can't recall who, about Roy Keane being the man that let his country down if they can still feel like that 18 years on I can hold my grudges too  :). What got on my goat was the retweets hailing Liverpool's 'class' at this amazing gesture presumably from the same eejits who gave Evra pelters at the time. Even on here and I'm aware that Utd fans would be the same had the situation been reversed not one Liverpool fan broke rank for years and said it was racist. 

For what it's worth I wouldn't be that put out at the tweet, other than I'm not sure Liverpool,  or any club for that matter, really need to wade into the middle of it. Let the players make their gestures as many have and leave it at that? But this seems to be the mawkish way the world works nowadays. I'm sure Utd have/will make their own cringeworthy contribution.

Why would you have a problem with the clubs making statements? Entirely appropriate IMO, especially given that racist abuse/racism within the sport has been an issue they're trying to address in recent years.

Going back to the reaction of the fans here at the time, without going back and rereading everyone's posts, part of the problem was it took two months of rumour, counter-rumour and innuendo (and almost three for the full report), during which most people became defensive/sanctimonious (depending on your allegience), before a verdict came out. Human nature (we see it every summer when something happens in a Championship game). The club handling the whole thing so poorly didn't help either; its one thing for partisan fans to close ranks in the middle of the firestorm, quite another for a huge club with a PR staff to handle it so poorly.

After all I wrote you pick out that as the most important bit......

Like I say the annoyance at the statements is more a crib about modern life than the source of the statements. It's the social media age we live in. There's a pretty decent Kick Racism out of Football campaign, I'd leave anything else to the players themselves, bar James McClean obviously  :)

Defensive? There's still a guy here today defending it  ;D and nobody's called him on it but they're annoyed at other people bringing it up.

SHEEDY

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on June 02, 2020, 09:09:08 PM
also,
also
when ye get another minute do an oul search for me and tell me what ground the John Barnes and banana picture was taken at...
the John Barnes banana incident was by an individual fan and condemned by the club and all right thinking fans. The suarez incident was an entire club, staff, players and fans all coming together to give support to a player who racially abused an opposition player. As someone said not one player or fan broke ranks and in fact the fans give evra stick about it for years, somehow seeing him as the guilty one.

Liverpools PR department will be clapping themselves on the back this week, even kept the sponsors happy by managing to get them into the photo  ::)
nil satis nisi optimum

J70

Quote from: Boycey on June 02, 2020, 10:53:49 PM

Like I say the annoyance at the statements is more a crib about modern life than the source of the statements. It's the social media age we live in. There's a pretty decent Kick Racism out of Football campaign, I'd leave anything else to the players themselves, bar James McClean obviously  :)

Defensive? There's still a guy here today defending it  ;D and nobody's called him on it but they're annoyed at other people bringing it up.

So call him out on it.

And I'm not annoyed. I was just interested in your opinion about at what point it becomes acceptable for Liverpool FC to make a positive move in this area.

supersub

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 02, 2020, 08:21:00 PM
It's done move on, they (this new team) have no baggage with the past.

I know why posters will look at this and have a pop but the ones complaining (pool lads) about it need to take a look at themselves, cause if shoe was on the other foot, they would do the same.

Aw lads. This is descending into a farce and a dangerous discussion. I complained about it, and rightly f**king so. I would not berate another club for supporting a message against racism. No matter who they are. It means sweet fa as it's a point scoring exercise. Can't believe it's been used to do so on this forum. Gutter stuff. As I said before, disgusting.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: J70 on June 02, 2020, 11:17:56 PM
Quote from: Boycey on June 02, 2020, 10:53:49 PM

So call him out on it.

And I'm not annoyed. I was just interested in your opinion about at what point it becomes acceptable for Liverpool FC to make a positive move in this area.
Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on June 02, 2020, 01:48:49 PM
The mancs and the bitters and the fans of basically every other club will stop at nothing in order to get a dig in at Liverpool, even bringing up Suarez, a player who Liverpool had every right to back throughout who wasn't even proved guilty.
Shameless individuals, but sure that's to be expected. The fume is delicious.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Boycey

J70 I never said you were annoyed. Read what I said again, I'm just explaining my personal views on such statements, annoyance was probably the wrong word in fairness.

It's always acceptable for Liverpool to move on, I did say that it was the reaction from gobshites that grinded with me.

Do I have to be the one that calls him out? Are the battle lines that clear?

I've just seen supersub post, am I reading it right and youre reporting something that was said?

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on June 02, 2020, 09:09:08 PM
also,
also
Highbury
Liverpool fans threw bananas at their own player at Highbury on Barnes' debut

And if you don't know that, you haven't a clue about the clubs history