The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - Jurgen walks - Stallion vindicated

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedHand88

Quote from: bamboo on March 20, 2020, 09:34:36 PM
Decent topic to pass the time though, what got you hooked on a team?

My uncle was a Utd fan(father had no real heed in sport)  and I remember the 85 final as an 8yr old and followed them since - through the initial years when they were winning feck all.

I got my younger brothers hooked and actually had a season ticket for 2 years- I'd moved to London by then(from Monaghan). Seen them win 2 titles with Teves, Berbatov and that crew.

I'm still every bit as supportive today but they've taken a back seat to work, family etc these days so just a couch fan really. Been up there once in 2 years.

Robbie Fowler, Steve mcmenamin, John Barnes, Jamie redknapp and that night where.....

Collymore closing in!!!!!!

manfromdelmonte

Great to see Sean Cox back home

quit yo jibbajabba

Tis delmonte.

Interestin few posts above also, what is this madness, utd pool and everton fans having a discussion without it ending in a slanging match (early days yet lol)

Im kinda likin this new gaaboard 😃😃

Capt Pat

I started following Liverpool from the 1985 season. The fa cup semi final loss to united and then the Heysel disaster, neither put me off supporting Liverpool.

From the Bunker

Started in the 1979/80 Season.

Them were the days when you got 3 minutes League highlights on Match of the Day on a Saturday night.

Only found our many many years later that Kevin Sheedy was part of that squad.

Liverpool won Leagues, League Cups and European Cups. But they never reached FA Cup finals. That was the big Saturday Soccer day at the end of the season. It used to really piss me off.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Capt Pat on March 20, 2020, 11:40:11 PM
I started following Liverpool from the 1985 season. The fa cup semi final loss to united and then the Heysel disaster, neither put me off supporting Liverpool.

The Whiteside final!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Cunny Funt

Quote from: From the Bunker on March 20, 2020, 11:49:17 PM
Started in the 1979/80 Season.

Them were the days when you got 3 minutes League highlights on Match of the Day on a Saturday night.

Only found our many many years later that Kevin Sheedy was part of that squad.

Liverpool won Leagues, League Cups and European Cups. But they never reached FA Cup finals. That was the big Saturday Soccer day at the end of the season. It used to really piss me off.

Former Coventry great Steve Ogrizovic there had forgot he played briefly for Liverpool.

Tony Baloney

An Watcher

I remember the 1985-1989 finals much more than recent ones. As someone posted, the whiteside final in 85, a couple of Merseyside ones and then the classic Coventry v spurs in 87. 88 was the big shock with Wimbledon, probably akin to Wigan v man city a few years back. The finals were a bigger deal back in the day though. Team buses, chats on the pitch, talking to fans etc etc

Dire Ear

Steve Heighway tearing down the wing,  always stuck in my mind for some reason....

ardtole

Quote from: laoislad on March 20, 2020, 11:22:48 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on March 20, 2020, 10:53:38 PM

Robbie Fowler, Steve mcmenamin, John Barnes, Jamie redknapp and that night where.....

Jaysis you're only a youngfella.
Believe it or believe it not my first ever piece of football merchandise was a Manchester United scarf. My Dad brought it back for me from a game he went to with lads he worked with, he wasn't a United fan himself but just brought it back for me, I was probably only 4 or 5 at the time. He also brought back the programme from the game and I actually still have it at home, no way would I throw it out either. It was circa 1983 or thereabouts Man United vs West Ham.
Wasn't enough to make me a United fan though thank god! ;)
First proper Liverpool memory is 1986 FA Cup Final v Everton, though I do have a very hazy memory of Heysel.

I remember the night of the Heysel incident surprisingly clearly. I was 10 or 11 playing an u12 game in Loughinisland. I remember Brendan Mason (a loughinisland and county player at the time) with his arm in a sling and practicing his frees. No idea why it stuck in my head so long. Also remember one of my mates hearing about the riots (presumably on a car radio) and mad to get home to watch the riots on tv.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: ardtole on March 21, 2020, 02:56:05 PM
Quote from: laoislad on March 20, 2020, 11:22:48 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on March 20, 2020, 10:53:38 PM

Jaysis you're only a youngfella.
Believe it or believe it not my first ever piece of football merchandise was a Manchester United scarf. My Dad brought it back for me from a game he went to with lads he worked with, he wasn't a United fan himself but just brought it back for me, I was probably only 4 or 5 at the time. He also brought back the programme from the game and I actually still have it at home, no way would I throw it out either. It was circa 1983 or thereabouts Man United vs West Ham.
Wasn't enough to make me a United fan though thank god! ;)
First proper Liverpool memory is 1986 FA Cup Final v Everton, though I do have a very hazy memory of Heysel.

I remember the night of the Heysel incident surprisingly clearly. I was 10 or 11 playing an u12 game in Loughinisland. I remember Brendan Mason (a loughinisland and county player at the time) with his arm in a sling and practicing his frees. No idea why it stuck in my head so long. Also remember one of my mates hearing about the riots (presumably on a car radio) and mad to get home to watch the riots on tv.

Was in Brussels that summer, was with Euro Children. Stayed with a family for four summers, best times ever, though that summer things were very different, we lived just outside Brussels but headed in every day on our bikes, headed to the stadium, through a hole in the gate was able to see the area where the wall had collapsed and the rubble was still there.

Obviously had watch the game at home but actually being there was very strange, the local kids who'd picked up I spoke English thought it be alright to give off to me because of what happened before during and after that final. I explained I was Irish, though didn't really sway them. Odd looking back at it, I was only 13 and possibly conditioned to acts of violence and the aftermath of these things. Which doesn't sound healthy
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Armamike

First match I saw them play was the 78 European Cup final.  Had no interest in football before then. Was hooked ever after.
That's just, like your opinion man.

Boycey

I don't actually recall a conscious decision to support United I just always did so I'm guessing it came from my father. He was a casual soccer fan rather than the obsessive I became from the age of 8 or 9. He did pass on to me a love of all sports from GAA through cricket, soccer, athletics, rugby to well basically anything...

Dire Ear

Quote from: laoislad on March 21, 2020, 07:41:44 PM
In a parallel universe we have just beaten Crystal Palace to win the title....
VVD header ?