Club Hurling

Started by BallyroanAbbey, April 16, 2017, 11:40:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zooming around

Quote from: Downtheroad on October 08, 2018, 10:44:25 PM
Quote from: Unlaoised on October 08, 2018, 10:04:00 PM
The camross defeat is shallow ...the 3 players in question should be ashamed i hope they get hammered in the leinster

A lepard never change his spots

Scum
Spoke to a few people today at work and the word that came up more than once was  neanderthal which was used to describe Laois hurling. I think overall this was unfair as most clubs behave themselves as good if not better than in any other county. Since Delaney was  not booked, I think the county board should review the video evidence to see what role he played in the incident.

Was he not booked? Apologies, I could have sworn he was.

Don Draper

Quote from: Jd on October 09, 2018, 08:39:41 AM
Back in the 80s and early 90s every club had certain fellas who could "look after"  a good player it seems  from comments  here that Camross  would appear  that have unearthed  one or two such players  again.  If refs are aware of them then it's easy enough  stamp out but the will doesn't  seem to be there.  I firmly believe that the county board  should  consider  withdrawing  our senior  hurling  representatives  from leinster and send a message  that this thuggery  will not be condoned  and let them f**k off back up the mountains  for the winter
Well that seems a little over the top. I'd be happy for the player to be called before the CCC to explain his actions.

BallyroanAbu

I didn't see what happened but video should be reviewed and sanctions handed out,  if this is deliberate then the sanction should be penal.  We all live in the real world, Ross has to go to work this week.  If it was an accident move on,  if deliberate and nasty it needs to be stamped out.  County Board needs to act if deliberate, short term may hurt Camross long term we are all better off.

Jd

Maybe a strong sanction would stop this though Don .  I wasn't  there but heard it was a deliberate  attack.  Was the king chap wearing  his helmet?? If so it makes  it even more cynical as it sounds like the butt of the hurl was used.   Should that club benefit  from what appears  to be an action to take out  the oppositions  best Forward??  in my opinion  no.  Put your  own club in Rathdowneys place and pick any player from your team to be deliberately  struck and suffer the same horrific  injuries would you feel that my suggestion  is over the top then.  I'm  not from Rathdowneys or even  a hurling club by the way but this has really  angered Me!

LOVEGAA

Quote from: Jd on October 09, 2018, 02:43:48 PM
Maybe a strong sanction would stop this though Don .  I wasn't  there but heard it was a deliberate  attack.  Was the king chap wearing  his helmet?? If so it makes  it even more cynical as it sounds like the butt of the hurl was used.   Should that club benefit  from what appears  to be an action to take out  the oppositions  best Forward??  in my opinion  no.  Put your  own club in Rathdowneys place and pick any player from your team to be deliberately  struck and suffer the same horrific  injuries would you feel that my suggestion  is over the top then.  I'm  not from Rathdowneys or even  a hurling club by the way but this has really  angered Me!

I don't think getting him to explain his actions is anyway near good enough. You need to remember who you're dealing with here.  They wouldn't care if that's all that happened

the lesson for all other clubs was quite clear on Sunday.  Do whatever needs doing.

HURLING1

Surely at this stage the video of the incident has been reviewed by CB.

Blow-in

It's disgraceful the comments by other hurling referees towards John O'Brien on Facebook.

blueandwhite1

Just a few thoughts, some of which won't be popular.

I don't think that this Camross team are particularly dirty. In fact, by their standards, this is probably the least dirty one I have seen over the years. I don't think they made a pre-meditated decision to take out Ross King. However, when the opportunity presented it, several players struck out viciously and should have been punished. At least one should have been red carded and suspended for a long time. Because that ref doesn't pull any dirty play in some misguided opinion that the game should be allowed to flow, players take chances. One thing is for certain, it changed the game. Rathdowney Errill were well ahead on the scoreboard and in general play. Losing Ross and Shane Dollard swung the game. There was a huge crowd at the match and the officials and county board have a responsibility to players and to kids watching the game. It's not Camross' fault that the ref didn't send one of them off but for sure, it was a very bad mistake by the ref.

Seemingly Alan Doheny told the ref to send off one of the Camross players and he refused to even though he was very close to the incident. That to me is complete incompetence. How he got a county final with his very poor displays in his first year in the county is a disgrace. Had seen him ref 3 or 4 games before this one and in each one his tendency to 'let play go' regardless of how blatant or dangerous a foul was very worrying.

I always struggle watching Camross winning titles anyway for one reason only, their poor commitment to Laois hurling. Looking at the Rathdowney Errill team that lined out on Sunday, everyone on the Rathdowney team either plays for Laois or played for Laois for an extended period except Noel Brennan in goal. Camross never provide the same numbers. There are several of that team that should or could make a huge difference to Laois. No disrespect to Dwayne Palmer, Joe Phelan or Mark Dowling who were involved in the last couple of years. Imagine if Ross King, Paddy Purcell, Eric Killeen, Jack Kelly, Paddy McCane, Mark Kavanagh, James Ryan or Jake Creagh decided to focus on club hurling this year and not bother with county - I can't see Camross being county champions today if they did.

burdizzo

Quote from: Jd on October 09, 2018, 02:43:48 PM

Yes, he was wearing his helmet. However, I don't think it was a premeditated plan to 'do' him. It was a scrap, and it went too far. Personally, I was a bit surprised there was no red card. There was a similar shemozzle in the Camross v Borris semi-final, and the same ref was no way on top of the situation then, either. Something similar could easily have happened that time. It's certainly a tough job - refereeing - and I wouldn't want to do it, but I did wonder at him getting the final gig. However, as we all know, he does do inter-county, and we do need to freshen up the pool of referees in this county.

redsetanta

I think it's plain to see that there would be far less of an outcry against O'Brien if he had given a red card. It was warranted and we probably wouldn't still be talking about it if the Camross player was sent off. And I would agree reffing is a thankless task.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Jd

Fair  enough so the player  seems to have taken an opportunity to get a dirty dig at the chap.  I seem to have been  unfair to that Camross  team as a whole so. Apologies!  Like I said I wasn't  at the game so was depending  on  second hand info.  Can the player  responsible be  identified  and dealt with.  Why did ref book him.  If ref sees the alleged incident on tape can he say that he would have dealt  with  it differently  and the card be upgraded.  Seems  unfair  if he plays on the rest of the year  while the victim is probably  out for six months

LOVEGAA

If John of brien had dealt with the Borris Kilcotton game properly this probably wouldn't have happened.  A Camrose mentor pulled a helmet straight off one of the b/know lads head which defiantly deserved a punishment. Most dangerous act.
I wouldn't fully agree that it wasn't the plan. Same player had put the butt of hurl into Shane Dollar where no man wants to get a belt.
I think it was a case of doing someone/anyone

Blow-in

Fair play LOVEGAA, I thought I was the only one who witnessed the Camross Mentor v Borris/Kilcotton. Shocking carry on and no punishment AGAIN. The Shane Dollard incident was a disgrace and he was a very lucky man and seemingly was told by the play to get on with it.
Rumour has it that the ref in question is employed by a Camross players wife's company and does all challenge games for the club.

Also the refs as a whole are afraid to make any decisions throughout the county. The treatment of Aaron Bergin and Cahir Healy in Snr A semi final was shocking and yet the in charge of that game is being a "keyboard warrior" abusing other refs the whole time. I as a mad Laois GAA person am I completely disillousioned with the place. All they will care about is how much they will make from the final and brush this incident under the carpets. Why would you bother promoting GAA within the county.

LOVEGAA

There should have been at least 1 red card in that match but yet again O'brien bottled it. If this continues we are heading back to the good old days of a free for all.
If r/email had to do that to a Camrose player you can be sure it would have got out of hand completely

the championship this year had to be the poorest in a long time and Iin my view I can't see any glory in the way it was won.

Laois Rising

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/gaa/laois-player-reveals-stripped-soccer-scholarship-sneaking-off-play-hurling-weekends-123189

Ross King has given 100 percent commitment to his club and county the last number of years. He sacrificed a scholarship in UCD for love of county and club. Lads like that deserve the upmost respect from the Laois GAA public-not a cowardly and thuggish attack on the field of play. Any normal person would consider winning a final in that way tainted, embarrassing and not worthy of celebration. Listening to interview with Camross manager after game you'd swear he pulled a tactical masterstroke to turn the game. Highly embarrassing and infuriating to listen to. Furthermore, a manager of any class would be quick to wish King a speedy recovery as it was clearly evident that the young man was badly injured.

Eddie Brennan should run now. He's in a lose lose situation. If he doesn't bring in some of the Camross players (when we have such a small pick already) it will be detrimental to our chances of progress in 2019. However, having them there next year isn't likely to develop a harmonious team environment (toxic would be the word that springs to my mind). Hard to ask lads to hurl together and function as a team when certain clubs can't leave insular, backward approaches to hurling where they belong (in the past). Play hard but play fair. Teams that cross the line need to be made an example of and appropriately punished. In Laois we hand them back to back county titles.