The Official World Cup 2018 Thread

Started by Ball Hopper, November 16, 2017, 05:14:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

heganboy

Lost the run of themselves?

It's a smaller could try than our own in a world cup final, Have At It!

Foe context that's the state of Oregon,, or Oman, or Mauritania
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

seafoid

Quote from: sid waddell on July 15, 2018, 02:07:12 AM
Croatia's national television station proclaimed their team "the future world champions" after their semi-final victory.

Now that's an actual example of the supposed arrogance emanating from England that I havent heard any actual examples of before the semi-final.

Should Croatia lose tomorrow, I presume we'll be hearing and reading Ewan MacKenna and all the other online England-hating blowhards laying into Croatia for their actual arrogance, and telling us how they were deluded?

Nah, I doubt it...
Parochial sub local radio or taxi driver behaviour
Might have been aimed at the Serbs. They must be dying for  a French win.
The English thing is much more complex. And familiarity breeds contempt while distance breeds amusement 
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Milltown Row2

Croatia's national television station proclaimed their team "the future world champions" after their semi-final victory.

Now that's an actual example of the supposed arrogance emanating from England that I havent heard any actual examples of before the semi-final.

Should Croatia lose tomorrow, I presume we'll be hearing and reading Ewan MacKenna and all the other online England-hating blowhards laying into Croatia for their actual arrogance, and telling us how they were deluded?

Nah, I doubt it...

You're full of shit, any people from Croatia I've met this week are very ecstatic about being in the final.

I've certainly found conversations with bar men, taxi drivers or ones at the beach have not in any way thought they have won the final.. getting past England was a big deal, but hey you'll get Wrightys in every sports channel..
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

AZOffaly

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 15, 2018, 09:25:38 AM

Nah, I doubt it...

You're full of shit, any people from Croatia I've met this week are very ecstatic about being in the final.

I've certainly found conversations with bar men, taxi drivers or ones at the beach have not in any way thought they have won the final.. getting past England was a big deal, but hey you'll get Wrightys in every sports channel..

And how many English people do we think actually thought they had it wrapped up? Of the English people I know, it was precisely zero.  The football's coming home thing is not a serious indication of their belief, it's now used as a pisstake, or as a 'Come on England' equivalent.

I think we hold the English to higher standards than they deserve to be. At this tournament their team has been honest, hardworking and limited, just as expected. It's easy to like a team like that. Their fans don't appear to have been gobshites, and the people back in England seem to have gone through a cycle of Low Expectations-Relief they didn't lose to PAnama or Tunisia-Ambivalence to the Belgium result - Ecstasy after beating Colombia - Real hope before Sweden - Daring to dream before Croatia - Crushing disappointment allied with a sense that the team overachieved and did well.

That's not a lot different than we would be.

sid waddell

Nah, I doubt it...

That you of all people should have the lack of self-awareness to call anybody else "full of shit" is tremendously amusing.

I've absolutely no problem with the Croatians being excited at the possibility of winning a World Cup, why wouldn't they be. They're in the final. I can't think why anybody else would have a problem with it either.

But then again I can't think why anybody would have a problem with English people getting excited at the possibility of reaching a final when they were in the semi-final.

Now, Croatia's history of Naziism, their refusal to face up to it, and the far right mentality that seems to still infect politics there, I would definitely have a problem with!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: sid waddell on July 15, 2018, 10:02:59 AM

Nah, I doubt it...

That you of all people should have the lack of self-awareness to call anybody else "full of shit" is tremendously amusing.

I've absolutely no problem with the Croatians being excited at the possibility of winning a World Cup, why wouldn't they be. They're in the final. I can't think why anybody else would have a problem with it either.

But then again I can't think why anybody would have a problem with English people getting excited at the possibility of reaching a final when they were in the semi-final.

Now, Croatia's history of Naziism, their refusal to face up to it, and the far right mentality that seems to still infect politics there, I would definitely have a problem with!

If I'm full of shit that's grand, (I don't take this board serious at all) your opinion and other faceless people on here mean absolutely nothing, and if anyone loses a bit of sleep or worry what people on an anonymous discussion board think, then they should catch themselves on..

As for bringing politics into sport then that's a dick thing to do, every county has a past that no one is proud of, or elements within current governments! What that has got to do with a football match is beyond me! But carry on
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

sid waddell

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 15, 2018, 10:14:08 AM

Nah, I doubt it...

If I'm full of shit that's grand, (I don't take this board serious at all) your opinion and other faceless people on here mean absolutely nothing, and if anyone loses a bit of sleep or worry what people on an anonymous discussion board think, then they should catch themselves on..

As for bringing politics into sport then that's a dick thing to do, every county has a past that no one is proud of, or elements within current governments! What that has got to do with a football match is beyond me! But carry on

Indeed you are full of shit, nobody takes you seriously, and your opinion is worth nothing.

I think you're in denial about how seriously you take yourself though, which seems to be very.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: sid waddell on July 15, 2018, 10:22:50 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 15, 2018, 10:14:08 AM

Nah, I doubt it...

Indeed you are full of shit, nobody takes you seriously, and your opinion is worth nothing.

I think you're in denial about how seriously you take yourself though, which seems to be very.

I'm not looking friends Sid, I'm not looking to be taken seriously either.. but laughing at your posts makes me smile..

BennyHarp

Nah, I doubt it...

I live in England and I can tell you that not one person I spoke to actually believed England had won the World Cup after making the semi final. Yes they believed they could beat Croatia but ffs so would Ireland if we played them at that stage. Irish people so want the English to be arrogant so they can laugh at them when the fail and don t really care if what they believe is true or not. .The whole footballs coming home thing was tongue in cheek. But sure that doesn't fit the narrative that people want to portray. It's interesting that Irish people's view can still be driven by people in the English media, your Wrightys etc.
That was never a square ball!!

shark

Quote from: BennyHarp on July 15, 2018, 10:38:24 AM

Nah, I doubt it...

I live in England and I can tell you that not one person I spoke to actually believed England had won the World Cup after making the semi final. Yes they believed they could beat Croatia but ffs so would Ireland if we played them at that stage. Irish people so want the English to be arrogant so they can laugh at them when the fail and don t really care if what they believe is true or not. .The whole footballs coming home thing was tongue in cheek. But sure that doesn't fit the narrative that people want to portray. It's interesting that Irish people's view can still be driven by people in the English media, your Wrightys etc.

That's pretty much it from my experience too. Irish people projecting arrogance on to the English fans. Tying to create something to knock down, that in reality isn't there.

sid waddell

Quote from: longballin on July 15, 2018, 12:09:42 PM
spent a few years in England as well and the arrogance around the national team is unreal. They need to ditch that song for starters like they have some ownership on the game and entitlement.
Why on earth would they ditch it?

It's a brilliant song - full of self-deprecation and humour.

World In Motion is another classic.

Do you think it's time Irish supporters ditched the "Put 'Em Under Pressure" song?

Containing as it does the line "we'll really shake them up them up when we win the World Cup, cause Ireland are the greatest football team"?

Which obviously showed that the whole Irish nation was drunk on its own sense of arrogance, entitlement and delusion, like.

England is rightly proud of its status as the home of football. Why wouldn't they celebrate that history?

They have a football culture that is unrivalled anywhere in the world, with huge attendances and full stadiums all the way down the divisions, right down to non-league level, every single week during the season. No other country has anything close to that. Go to Italy or Spain or Germany and see how many people attend second division matches.

And it's a football culture that is followed religiously here. English football is Ireland's de facto national sport, like it or not. It's far more widely followed on a regular basis than either hurling or Gaelic football is.

imtommygunn

Put em under pressure has been ditched for a long time sid...

sid waddell

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 15, 2018, 12:30:29 PM
Put em under pressure has been ditched for a long time sid...
Really?

I'm a regular attendee at Ireland matches and you're dead wrong about that.

longballin

Quote from: sid waddell on July 15, 2018, 12:24:39 PM
Quote from: longballin on July 15, 2018, 12:09:42 PM
spent a few years in England as well and the arrogance around the national team is unreal. They need to ditch that song for starters like they have some ownership on the game and entitlement.
Why on earth would they ditch it?

It's a brilliant song - full of self-deprecation and humour.

World In Motion is another classic.

Do you think it's time Irish supporters ditched the "Put 'Em Under Pressure" song?

Containing as it does the line "we'll really shake them up them up when we win the World Cup, cause Ireland are the greatest football team"?

Which obviously showed that the whole Irish nation was drunk on its own sense of arrogance, entitlement and delusion, like.

England is rightly proud of its status as the home of football. Why wouldn't they celebrate that history?

They have a football culture that is unrivalled anywhere in the world, with huge attendances and full stadiums all the way down the divisions, right down to non-league level, every single week during the season. No other country has anything close to that. Go to Italy or Spain or Germany and see how many people attend second division matches.

And it's a football culture that is followed religiously here. English football is Ireland's de facto national sport, like it or not. It's far more widely followed on a regular basis than either hurling or Gaelic football is.

Has also been toxic with racism and thugs while England supporters have been the bain of other countries only this time they knew what would happen if they put a foot out of step in Russia. They don't own the game. Was great to see the hures beat.  That song is triumphalism and arrogant and the football coming home nonsense was really tapped into by Crotia if you listen to their interviews after. Home me arse

gallsman

Quote from: longballin on July 15, 2018, 12:32:45 PM

Has also been toxic with racism and thugs while England supporters have been the bain of other countries only this time they knew what would happen if they put a foot out of step in Russia. They don't own the game. Was great to see the hures beat.

What's that got to do with a comedy song that takes the piss out of themselves?