Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

angermanagement

Have to agree Bundy was up there with Shorty two special players, there skill, talent and movement would grace any team in any generation. Shorty was the conductor of a special team whilst Bundy was worth at least 8/9 points a game even when double marked.

To be fair the Islands transfer system was already in full swing at that time so there resources weren't as limited as some would believe.

Pangurban

Bundy was really something special, and had he been fortunate enough to be playing on a better Down team during the 80s, he would now be one of the legends of the game, with a few all star awards. Unlike Shorty Bundy was able to cut it at Co.level and delivered some wonderful displays in the Jersey

centre 3/4s

Shorty is definately the best i have seen.
Any thoughts on this years team of the championship?

Blue Island

Quote from: Pangurban on November 05, 2010, 12:52:59 AM
Bundy was really something special, and had he been fortunate enough to be playing on a better Down team during the 80s, he would now be one of the legends of the game, with a few all star awards. Unlike Shorty Bundy was able to cut it at Co.level and delivered some wonderful displays in the Jersey

I would obviously agree with the first sentiment. I have heard people on occasion point to the fact that Bundy didn't win an All Ireland in 91 as evidence of his lack of pedigree at County Level. However, 91 probably marks his tipping point in his career and his best years were from 84 up to 90. He had bad injury problems in the latter part of his career which ended up requiring a hip replacement in recent years. He was a replacement all star in 86 and he had the record for the highest total score in a season for the Ulster championship that stood for many years. The buzz sent round the ground when he got the ball was something to behold and everyone at Loughinisland always felt it was a privilege to play with him.

I think people are harsh on Shorty and there are a number of reasons why he is remembered as a good county player but not a great one. Things maybe just did not fall right for him. At club level he totally and utterly dominated and was the scourge of our lives for too long. An absolute legend and in my opinion the players that come close to equallying his dominance in recent years  are , Bundy, Benny Coulter, Mickey Linden and Ambrose Sn. Interestingly most are very different types of player.

Ciarian McCabe is another notable in the top club player category. He wasn't as fast as bundy, or Mickey, not as strong as Benny or as cute as Shorty, but in terms of pure skill he was hard to match.

SHEEDY

shorty was definitly the best club player in down and was so for many years. he would have to be closely followed by micky linden, benny coulter, bundy and ambrose snr. all brilliant players.
nil satis nisi optimum

TheClutch

Eddie King who played for Kilclief and Bryansford at club level was one of the best full backs in the county before injury cut his career at both club and county short
2017 Championship Prediction League Winner 8)

dundrumite

Quote from: TheClutch on November 05, 2010, 04:28:43 PM
Eddie King who played for Kilclief and Bryansford at club level was one of the best full backs in the county before injury cut his career at both club and county short

I thought he played half back, though your memory is probably better than mine.

DownFanatic

Quote from: dundrumite on November 05, 2010, 04:48:57 PM

I thought he played half back, though your memory is probably better than mine.

Dundrumite, Id take The Clutch's word on this one.  He would know the man better than you do ;)

mournerambler

He was one dirty b@llix on the field, his sons havn't reached the dizzy heights of their father on the Gaelic pitch from what i can gather ;D

TheClutch

He was a full back for the county, played half back the odd time I believe too, but made his name at full back! Played everywhere for kilclief except nets I believe! And finished up in full forward for the ford! Heard he did get under a few peoples skins alryt, he was hard! wouldnt last two mins on the field today though more than likely!!!
2017 Championship Prediction League Winner 8)

13aside

peter hamill from clonduff was an excellent club player along with a player from longstone who went by the nickname of 'fluff'

Mid Down Gael

Division 1 league simi final

Mayobridge 1-14 Clonduff 0-8

The Bridge well worth their victory, Benny Coulter was amazing at full forward kicking 1-3 well supported by Ryan Brady, Cathal Magee and Noel Sexton. The two Grants where also brilliant in defence. Clonduff where poor, too negative once again. If Benny, Garvey, Sexton and Walsh had have been fit i think we would have different county champions.

Mid Down Gael

Saval crowned division two champions today beating Ballyholland 0-13 to 0-9.

T O Hare

Good win for us today.. though Clonduffs tactics played into our hands... Benny was on fire but Barry Garvey, Darren fegan and Cathal Killen played well when given their chance today.. Burren will be a tough assignment in the final
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: T O Hare on November 06, 2010, 06:08:58 PM
Good win for us today.. though Clonduffs tactics played into our hands... Benny was on fire but Barry Garvey, Darren fegan and Cathal Killen played well when given their chance today.. Burren will be a tough assignment in the final

Yeah they done well for lads that wouldnt normally start. If Bridge have Conor Garvey from the start i can see yous retaining the league title. Walsh was unlucky to get the straight red in a handbags incident started by Clonduffs mr hard man.