Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ballela-angel

Is the match being broadcast on radio?
That awkward moment - Not sure if you do have free time or if you're just forgetting everything!

ballela-angel

That awkward moment - Not sure if you do have free time or if you're just forgetting everything!

Aristo 60

Kerry are coming to Newry... sure why would ye need a radio!

ballela-angel

Because I will be 3000 miles from Newry on Sunday

PAULD123

Quote from: ballela-angel on February 26, 2016, 04:21:48 PM
Because I will be 3000 miles from Newry on Sunday

Only 3000 miles, That's a lack of commitment as far as I am concerened!  ;)

redzone

Whatever happened Conor Poland from longstone. Mind him at u21 level and thought he would come thru to be a senior star

supersub

Works in England I think. Only came back for Championship/relegation fight last season.

O'Hare and Mallon are named on the bench. As is Jonny Flynn from Loughinisland.

forevergreen

Wouldn't think we are in for a trouncing, players need to go for it, don't stand off Kerry and get wired into them. It would lift the home crowd.

It will take all 20 players giving every ounce they have in them. They are playing for pride as much as points.

forevergreen

Quote from: forevergreen on February 27, 2016, 07:45:29 PM
Wouldn't think we are in for a trouncing, players need to go for it, don't stand off Kerry and get wired into them. It would lift the home crowd

It will take all 20 players giving every ounce they have in them. They are playing for pride as much as points.

Eh, I'll take that back, will we win a game this year??

Mourne Rover

There's not much to be said about today, other than, courtesy of a freak promotion last year, we are in the wrong division. We would have needed our strongest squad to be available if we were to have any chance of being competitive, and even then it would have been an uphill campaign. Kerry won without breaking sweat and the only surprise was that they did not score a goal.

They are realistically at an entirely different level to us, but it has to be a concern that many of our senior players are either missing from the panel or, like McKernan and Poland, struggling to make any impact on the field. Carr went off early, presumably injured,  Maginn, apart from one decent point, was not really involved, and most of the rest are very much on a learning curve.

Cunningham's kick-outs were mixed but still an improvement on Kane the last day, and he also made a couple of fine saves so he deserves another run. The trip to Roscommon, who won by 18 points away to Cork today, looks daunting and after that we have the Dubs in town. These are tough times.

rosskarr

Quote from: JoeBloggs11 on February 26, 2016, 11:14:11 AM
Quote from: redandblackareback on February 26, 2016, 10:30:13 AM
Whats the situation with Nial Mc Parland, is he in the panel? Obviously had prior commitments to the Ranch but he should be back now?

As far as I am aware, Niall along with any of the other Glenn contingent will not be joining the county panel this year as they are committing fully to the club in 2016
With an attaitiude like this it's no wonder we're in trouble.Quite disgusting if true.We all want our own Club to do well along with the County.

mourneman9194

Shocking.

On a serious note though where does this Down team rank in Ulster this year? Absolutely terrible.

snoopdog

Quote from: mourneman9194 on February 29, 2016, 10:55:18 AM
Shocking.

On a serious note though where does this Down team rank in Ulster this year? Absolutely terrible.
8th I'd say . I don't ever recall us being so poor. It's hard to see where they go from here. We are nowhere near a div 1 team. I honestly can't see us winning a game this year unless we draw a really weak team in qualifiers.
I'm not Suprised certain players would prefer to concentrate on the club. Dreading Roscommon and the Dubs 

PAULD123

May seem strange to say but I actually felt our performance was a step in the right direction. Yeah I know I will probably get hammered for that statement.

But I mean for the first time in a couple of years the lads were at least trying to get the ball in quick to the forwards and they were trying to shoot and score. For the last couple of years it has been about 7-8 players bringing the ball up by lateral hand passing to the opposition 45 then not having a clue what to do next and no one taking responsibility to attempt a shot.

Okay a lot of forward ball went astray and a lot of shots did too. But if they stick at quick ball in, our forwards will be better at predicting the supply and better at moving it. Mallon supported well breaking through and McKernan showed signs of a willingness to get forward.

But I have to say that Henry Brown was shocking, his body language was that of an U-12. slapping his hips when he missed a catch while watching the opposition run away from him, giving up on chasing players, and having absolutely no idea where to position himself. It's like he thought his only job was to catch kickouts and if he didn't get it he just turned off. I have to say that I thought Johnny Flynn was very poor also.

Mike Tyson

Quote from: PAULD123 on February 29, 2016, 11:19:34 AM
May seem strange to say but I actually felt our performance was a step in the right direction. Yeah I know I will probably get hammered for that statement.

But I mean for the first time in a couple of years the lads were at least trying to get the ball in quick to the forwards and they were trying to shoot and score. For the last couple of years it has been about 7-8 players bringing the ball up by lateral hand passing to the opposition 45 then not having a clue what to do next and no one taking responsibility to attempt a shot.

Okay a lot of forward ball went astray and a lot of shots did too. But if they stick at quick ball in, our forwards will be better at predicting the supply and better at moving it. Mallon supported well breaking through and McKernan showed signs of a willingness to get forward.

But I have to say that Henry Brown was shocking, his body language was that of an U-12. slapping his hips when he missed a catch while watching the opposition run away from him, giving up on chasing players, and having absolutely no idea where to position himself. It's like he thought his only job was to catch kickouts and if he didn't get it he just turned off. I have to say that I thought Johnny Flynn was very poor also.

Easy to be critical when on here. Not so easy to perform when being brought on for 20mins against Bryan Sheehan & Kieran Donaghy when your team is getting hammered. Henry & Jonny are in their first year on the county panel, Jonny only joined about a month ago, you can hardly expect them to be super stars against arguably the second best team in Ireland.