Retirements

Started by Maroon Manc, July 09, 2018, 01:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGreatest

Quote from: Blowitupref on August 27, 2019, 02:45:39 PM
Quote from: TheGreatest on August 27, 2019, 01:51:20 PM
Good player, a servent of 17 years to the cause is to my admired. I am being genuine here, in his prime, would he make the Dublin team in the 6 forwards? Or Kerry or Tyrone forward 6 of the noughties?

Seeing that his prime was probably two years ago when named footballer of the year and scored 3-24 from play that summer the short answer would be yes.

I dont think he deserved it that year. There was a bit of a campaign to give it to him.

His average per game was 3.3, O Connor's was 7.5 and Rocks 6.7, Mayo played a lot of games that year against weak opposition. And its not always about the players who score, James McCarthy should of won it.

rodney trotter

The commentators frequently mentioned his age this year, 35,like it was incredible he was playing County football at that age. Bernard Brogan is the same age. Aidan O Mahony and Marc O Se played with Kerry at 36..

imtommygunn

Quote from: TheGreatest on August 27, 2019, 03:30:32 PM
Good player, a servent of 17 years to the cause is to my admired. I am being genuine here, in his prime, would he make the Dublin team in the 6 forwards? Or Kerry or Tyrone forward 6 of the noughties?

Seeing that his prime was probably two years ago when named footballer of the year and scored 3-24 from play that summer the short answer would be yes.

I dont think he deserved it that year. There was a bit of a campaign to give it to him.

His average per game was 3.3, O Connor's was 7.5 and Rocks 6.7, Mayo played a lot of games that year against weak opposition. And its not always about the players who score, James McCarthy should of won it.

The other two are free takers.

whitey

Quote from: rodney trotter on August 27, 2019, 03:33:59 PM
The commentators frequently mentioned his age this year, 35,like it was incredible he was playing County football at that age. Bernard Brogan is the same age. Aidan O Mahony and Marc O Se played with Kerry at 36..

How many of them had a torn crucial knee ligament and came back even stronger

Tubberman

You can't just say fair play to him, and wish him well in retirement?
You have to try to tarnish what he achieved? 
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Blowitupref

I don't know where to start with such a reply. Was a debate about some recent winners but Andy Moran fully deserved his footballer of the year award in 2017.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

rodney trotter

Quote from: whitey on August 27, 2019, 03:58:09 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on August 27, 2019, 03:33:59 PM

How many of them had a torn crucial knee ligament and came back even stronger

It's not a dig at Moran.
Brogan is back from a cruciate. He isn't starting for Dublin but would be starting for most Counties. Brogan was hardly impressed busting himself to back into shape and Connolly strolls into the panel for the final 2 months of championship ,and was included in the 26 man panel v Mayo, ..

imtommygunn

Brogan was apparently injured for that match though.

rodney trotter

Don't recall any mention of him being injured for the Mayo game. He came on the previous week against Tyrone and impressed..

imtommygunn

He got a big hit end of that Tyrone game(it was accidental by the look of it) which apparently took him out of the Mayo game. I think I read it here  mind you rather than a "reputable" source but wouldn't be surprised as he took a big enough knock.

seafoid

Quote from: moysider on August 26, 2019, 11:57:55 PM
Quote from: seafoid on August 26, 2019, 09:39:40 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 26, 2019, 07:38:18 PM
Thanks for the memories Andy. Pity he didn't get the All Ireland medal he craved.
There were structural reasons behind that.
The future will probably look on now differently.
He lost 5 all Ireland finals but it's different to say DB .

A bit cryptic there seafóid?
You'll have to break that down for me.
I think the x in a row all Irelands will come with an asterisk

Other Mayo stalwarts lost serial finals when the team wasn't good enough but
you couldn't say  the last 3 losses lacked quality players .

Gaelic football is currently down a rabbithole managed by the Bodach,
a very long way from business as usual.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

dublin7

Quote from: rodney trotter on August 27, 2019, 04:49:10 PM
Don't recall any mention of him being injured for the Mayo game. He came on the previous week against Tyrone and impressed..

Brogan took an elbow to the jaw right at the end of the Tyrone game. It swelled up so much he wasn't considered for the Mayo game.

Moran has done brilliantly to come back from a cruciate injutty at his age to play as long and as successfully as he has. Worrying thing for Mayo is that they tried to move on from him, but they had to keep going back to him even in the last few years. Not only has he been Mayo's best forward but he also has been a real leader in the forwards for them and wil be badly missed for that alone.

I personally thought he was lucky to get POTY in 2017, but the media story was all about Mayo falling short yet again that year so I can see why he got it.  For me James McCarthy was outstanding in both league and championship that year and I think should have won it. Last 15 min of the final he was immense and led Dublin that year.

Sportacus

I wish Andy Moran well.  I saw him three times this year and his movement transformed the Mayo attack when he was on the field.  They will miss him.  Played in 6 All Ireland Finals which is more than most of us ever dreamed of.  I always thought he got hauled ashore a bit too quickly in recent seasons. ( same with Boyle).

macdanger2

Class player. Thanks for the memories Andy, enjoy your retirement

Ball Hopper