Retirements

Started by Maroon Manc, July 09, 2018, 01:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 26, 2019, 07:38:18 PM
Thanks for the memories Andy. Pity he didn't get the All Ireland medal he craved.
There were structural reasons behind that.
The future will probably look on now differently.
He lost 5 all Ireland finals but it's different to say DB .

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

moysider

Quote from: seafoid on August 26, 2019, 09:39:40 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 26, 2019, 07:38:18 PM
Thanks for the memories Andy. Pity he didn't get the All Ireland medal he craved.
There were structural reasons behind that.
The future will probably look on now differently.
He lost 5 all Ireland finals but it's different to say DB .

A bit cryptic there seafóid?
You'll have to break that down for me.

Gold

He shouldn't retire. He should've started v Dublin

Irreplaceable

Shouldn't be let retire
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Gold on August 27, 2019, 12:07:50 AM

Irreplaceable

Shouldn't be let retire

I think the last game he started was against Armagh. Given the impact role since then for a reason and why he's decided to retire (mileage on the clock)

fearsiuil

Irreplaceable

Shouldn't be let retire

100%

Had the debate tonight in local and would say he could go on no bother. Most influential Mayo forward of my near enough half century . 

One of all time Mayo greats.

From the Bunker

Quote from: fearsiuil on August 27, 2019, 01:27:26 AM

Irreplaceable

Shouldn't be let retire

100%

Had the debate tonight in local and would say he could go on no bother. Most influential Mayo forward of my near enough half century . 

He's nearly 36. Running a successful business. Has a young family. Sometimes you have to put your family first.

fearsiuil

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 27, 2019, 01:55:42 AM
Quote from: fearsiuil on August 27, 2019, 01:27:26 AM

Irreplaceable

Shouldn't be let retire

100%

He's nearly 36. Running a successful business. Has a young family. Sometimes you have to put your family first.
His business thrives on his profile - more power to him. Thought he was underused this championship. 

GaillimhIarthair

An absolute Mayo stalwart down the years.  I didn't think he would get near the player he turned out to be when he came on the IC scene first.  His hard work and dedication in achieving that would be a great lesson to any young lad starting out today.  I wish him well in his retirement and hope he has a few years left in him to enjoy with his club.

Gold

Quote from: Captain Obvious on August 27, 2019, 12:56:30 AM

Irreplaceable

Shouldn't be let retire

I think the last game he started was against Armagh. Given the impact role since then for a reason and why he's decided to retire (mileage on the clock)

My point about him having to start v Dublin was that there is no point bringing on your goal getter or goal or score maker after the game is gone and your 12 points down. He HAD to start

Very very poor by Horan

Him and Star Donaghey best players to watch for me in recent years... Love a ball winner from ball kicked in early... Electric atmosphere, the football we all love

"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Rossfan on August 26, 2019, 07:23:04 PM
He can go back to being a Rossie again now.

Can he really? Such scummy comments on stolensheep about him I'm not sure he would.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Rossfan

He is a Rossie to start with ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

TheGreatest

Good player, a servant of 17 years to the cause is to be admired. I am being genuine here, in his prime, would he make the Dublin team in the 6 forwards? Or Kerry or Tyrone forward 6 of the noughties?

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Gold on August 27, 2019, 08:10:52 AM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on August 27, 2019, 12:56:30 AM

Irreplaceable

Shouldn't be let retire

My point about him having to start v Dublin was that there is no point bringing on your goal getter or goal or score maker after the game is gone and your 12 points down. He HAD to start

Very very poor by Horan

Him and Star Donaghey best players to watch for me in recent years... Love a ball winner from ball kicked in early... Electric atmosphere, the football we all love

Mayo tactics 1st half wasn't based on goal creating, scoring or kicking the ball in early. Their focus was on defending in numbers, intensity in the tackle, ball retainment and the majority of their points taking came from long range shooting.

Horan wasn't that poor in that regard, afterall they led Dublin by 2 points and held them to 0-6 in the 1st half.

Blowitupref

Quote from: TheGreatest on August 27, 2019, 01:51:20 PM
Good player, a servent of 17 years to the cause is to my admired. I am being genuine here, in his prime, would he make the Dublin team in the 6 forwards? Or Kerry or Tyrone forward 6 of the noughties?

Seeing that his prime was probably two years ago when named footballer of the year and scored 3-24 from play that summer the short answer would be yes.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

The Trap

Always thought Andy Moran was fantastic and loved seeing how he created space for himself even when he lost a bit of space. One of my favourite players. However I was disappointed with how he threw in the towel in his last appearance. I know he was put on too late but he literally didn't try a leg!