Eighth Amendment poll

Started by Farrandeelin, May 01, 2018, 03:36:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you in favour of repealing the 8th amendment?

Yes
47 (21.8%)
Yes but have no vote
73 (33.8%)
No
40 (18.5%)
No but have no vote
36 (16.7%)
Undecided
20 (9.3%)

Total Members Voted: 216

Voting closed: May 24, 2018, 03:36:55 PM

macdanger2

Quote from: sid waddell on May 17, 2018, 10:11:09 AM
Quote from: macdanger2 on May 16, 2018, 10:43:20 AM

You can't hold the position that data from another jurisdiction is irrelevant if you then choose to use similar data to further your own argument
The No campaign is based around false data from one particular other jurisdisction which has a different law to what is being proposed in this country.

They have cherry picked one other country, they have advanced false data.

And yet it's apparently offside to mention actual general worldwide trends.

I'm afraid this attitude from the No side does not compute on any level of logic whatsoever.

Sid, you've been very strong on the point of inaccurate or misportrayal of information by the No side. After you made this statement: "And a key fact: Abortion rates in countries where abortion is banned or highly restricted have a higher abortion rate than countries where it is safe and legal.", you posted a couple of links to back this up. These are a selection of quotes from two of those links:

QuoteExperts could not say whether more liberal laws led to fewer procedures, but said good access to birth control in those countries resulted in fewer unwanted pregnancies

QuoteDr Sedgh said there was a link between higher abortion rates and regions with more restrictive legislation, such as in Latin America and Africa.

QuoteEasier access to birth control drives down abortion rates, the report also finds.

QuoteThe report finds about 56 million abortions occur every year — nearly 50 million of them in developing countries. About a quarter of all pregnancies end in abortion.

Quote"Improved contraceptive use, and in turn, declines in unintended pregnancy rates are the likely driver behind the worldwide decline in abortion rates,"

QuoteThe report found abortion rates vary greatly region by region. Much of the reduction in abortions overall follows changes in the former Soviet Union, with policies encouraging contraception over abortion.
The highest abortion rates are now found in Latin America and the Caribbean, where abortion is strongly restricted legally.

So I would again have to question the relevance of your statement considering that you (and I) don't think that the UK figures are particularly important.

Do you consider what you said to be "false data"?

trailer

I don't have a vote. But I would ask that you trust women and vote Yes.

sid waddell

Quote from: macdanger2 on May 17, 2018, 11:18:19 AM
Quote from: sid waddell on May 17, 2018, 10:11:09 AM
Quote from: macdanger2 on May 16, 2018, 10:43:20 AM

You can't hold the position that data from another jurisdiction is irrelevant if you then choose to use similar data to further your own argument
The No campaign is based around false data from one particular other jurisdisction which has a different law to what is being proposed in this country.

They have cherry picked one other country, they have advanced false data.

And yet it's apparently offside to mention actual general worldwide trends.

I'm afraid this attitude from the No side does not compute on any level of logic whatsoever.

Sid, you've been very strong on the point of inaccurate or misportrayal of information by the No side. After you made this statement: "And a key fact: Abortion rates in countries where abortion is banned or highly restricted have a higher abortion rate than countries where it is safe and legal.", you posted a couple of links to back this up. These are a selection of quotes from two of those links:

QuoteExperts could not say whether more liberal laws led to fewer procedures, but said good access to birth control in those countries resulted in fewer unwanted pregnancies

QuoteDr Sedgh said there was a link between higher abortion rates and regions with more restrictive legislation, such as in Latin America and Africa.

QuoteEasier access to birth control drives down abortion rates, the report also finds.

QuoteThe report finds about 56 million abortions occur every year — nearly 50 million of them in developing countries. About a quarter of all pregnancies end in abortion.

Quote"Improved contraceptive use, and in turn, declines in unintended pregnancy rates are the likely driver behind the worldwide decline in abortion rates,"

QuoteThe report found abortion rates vary greatly region by region. Much of the reduction in abortions overall follows changes in the former Soviet Union, with policies encouraging contraception over abortion.
The highest abortion rates are now found in Latin America and the Caribbean, where abortion is strongly restricted legally.

So I would again have to question the relevance of your statement considering that you (and I) don't think that the UK figures are particularly important.

Do you consider what you said to be "false data"?
What I posted is the truth.

What you're doing is trying desperately to find something to claim otherwise in order to suit your agenda.

And here's the thing.

In a previous post, you admitted that what I posted is correct.

Now, you've backtracked and are trying to claim otherwise.

Why are you trying to claim what I've posted is "false data" when you previously admitted it is correct?

sid waddell

Can anybody make a case as to how the 8th Amendment has helped women in any way since 1983?

Farrandeelin

Couldn't be bothered reading back. Anyway Sid, are you pro abortion?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

sid waddell

Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 17, 2018, 11:58:10 AM
Couldn't be bothered reading back. Anyway Sid, are you pro abortion?
I'm pro-choice, not pro-abortion.

Nobody is pro-abortion. They are pro-access to abortion.

That's the whole point.

I'm not telling anybody what to do. The Yes side is not telling anybody what to do.

The No side are very definitely telling people what to do. They are demanding that others have NO say over their own bodies, demanding that women have no access to treatment to protect their health.

The No side should more accurately be called the "anti-health" side, or the "pro-death" side, given that they are more than prepared to accept the deaths of women to keep their views imposed on women.

macdanger2

Quote from: sid waddell on May 17, 2018, 11:39:21 AM
What I posted is the truth.

What you're doing is trying desperately to find something to claim otherwise in order to suit your agenda.

And here's the thing.

In a previous post, you admitted that what I posted is correct.

Now, you've backtracked and are trying to claim otherwise.

Why are you trying to claim what I've posted is "false data" when you previously admitted it is correct?

I hadn't read the links you posted Sid, I took what you were saying in good faith. For the record, I did not "admit" what you posted was correct, I simply said I did not dispute it (as I hadn't read up on it and it's not something I have much knowledge on). It was only when I took the time to look at the links that it appeared to me that you were being disingenuous.

I am not trying to claim anything, I'm simply posting up direct quotes from the links that YOU posted. You say that figures from the UK don't matter but it turns out that the facts you posted are related to Africa & Latin America. Those quotes are what those articles stated and yet it seems to me that you were misrepresenting what they said i.e. you were inferring a causal link between lower abortion rates and more liberal abortion laws when the data in those links don't actually back up that and instead point to wider availability to contraception as being the reason for lower abortion rates. What you said was factually correct (i.e. "Abortion rates in countries where abortion is banned or highly restricted have a higher abortion rate than countries where it is safe and legal.") but the links you posted don't prove a relationship between the two.

So I'll ask you again, what is the relevance of your statement that "Abortion rates in countries where abortion is banned or highly restricted have a higher abortion rate than countries where it is safe and legal."?

Avondhu star

Quote from: magpie seanie on May 17, 2018, 10:37:31 AM
No campaign have defaced Benbulben in Sligo this morning. That'll help tourism. Thanks.

Nearly as good an idea as murdering the elderly member of the Royal family and a young boy up the road.
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

easytiger95

I've no idea how the likes of Sid and Seanie do it, but fair play lads, you have done an amazing job putting forward the case for a Yes vote.

I don't envy your bosses though  ;D

Itchy

Quote from: sid waddell on May 17, 2018, 10:05:25 AM
Quote from: Itchy on May 16, 2018, 06:55:56 PM
Quote from: Avondhu star on May 16, 2018, 06:29:21 PM
Bob Geldof is appealing on men to vote Yes.  Krusty the clown wasn't available.
Why the f**k do people think we will allow Geldof Bono etc influence how we vote

Those two pricks should have been aborted so maybe that's a good reason to vote yes alright
There's the famous "respect" that the No side pride themselves on.

I'm probably voting YES buddy, but if you dont like my respect then maybe you should now vote NO?
No apologies from me for having zero respect for those two embarrassing hypocrites.

Syferus

https://www.rte.ie/news/connacht/2018/0517/964129-ben-bulben-sligo-sign/

QuoteIt was put up by men and there were women there as well, he said, making  tea and sandwiches.

I think it perfectly encapsulates the no side's attitudes that they didn't even let women build the monstrosity. Landmarks shouldn't be politicised like this, commonage or not. The law needs to change to prevent this in future.

whitey

Quote from: Syferus on May 17, 2018, 02:43:18 PM

QuoteIt was put up by men and there were women there as well, he said, making  tea and sandwiches.

I think it perfectly encapsulates the no side's attitudes that they didn't even let women build the monstrosity. Landmarks shouldn't be politicised like this, commonage or not. The law needs to change to prevent this in future.

Do you not think the part about making tea and sandwiches was tongue in cheek. How the fvck would you boil a kettle half way up a mountain?

Syferus

Quote from: whitey on May 17, 2018, 03:11:59 PM

Do you not think the part about making tea and sandwiches was tongue in cheek. How the fvck would you boil a kettle half way up a mountain?

You're some yoke.

screenexile

John Waters stormed out of the Dunphy interview. . . hilarious!!!!

magpie seanie

Quote from: whitey on May 17, 2018, 03:11:59 PM

Believe me. It wasn't tongue in cheek.