Mayo vs Kildare Sat Mar 16th

Started by sans pessimism, March 13, 2013, 04:26:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

Quote from: lynchbhoy on March 19, 2013, 07:48:55 PM
I'm afraid Kildare beat mayo long ago regarding the public ongoing ridicule.
Colm orourke all through the 90's used to slate Kildare, their players, manager, style of play and fans every chance he got whether live game analysis or Sunday game pontification.
Mayo have it easy from brolly et al by comparison.

He was dead right too.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: sans pessimism on March 19, 2013, 09:22:37 PM
Quote from: Crete Boom on March 17, 2013, 12:58:17 AM
Quote from: Ohtoohtobe on March 17, 2013, 12:22:36 AM
Crete Boom the comment I really took exception to on that blog was: "If ever there were a must-win game in the league, then this surely is it: are we really going to let a team like Kildare – all beefy, athletic huffing and puffing but bugger all else – come to our place and relegate us?"
Really sick of that stereotype. Especially when Kildare are quite a high-scoring team and usually play attacking football.
Which is not to say we're world beaters. Or that Mayo won't do better than us in Championship. Just that acting as if Mayo beating Kildare ought to be a foregone conclusion is a bit disrespectful.

Ohtoohtobe I hear you the lazy stereotypes are highly annoying but surely you'll cut us Mayomen a bit of slack because we get hammered with even more insulting stereotypes every year from all angles. At least you don't have all the RTE pundits sniggering and laughing at you live on national T.V. and being the but of manys a crap joke from the supposed sports reporters on RTE! At least Kildare don'thave the other 31 counties in Ireland shake their head in the most annoying condescending sympathy when you mention you like GAA and you are from Mayo. I know none of this excuses what you have quoted above  and we of all counties should show more humility but again that is a highly Mayo centric blog and I'd wager Willie Joe's blood was still up when he penned that piece. I think you can accuse us Mayo folk of a lot of things but composure and keeping our emotions in check aren't on that list ;). The bottom line is until Kildare or Mayo win the big one we are going to suffer from these unfair appraisals of our respective football teams!
Colm orourke all through the 90's used to slate Kildare, their players, manager, style of play and fans every chance he got whether live game analysis or Sunday game pontification.
every crow thinks his own crow is the blackest
Maybe so, but this crow flew in the 90's and apart from riling the flourbag fans up they didn't say a whole lot about it. They shut up and kept taking it (and their beatings).

Jinxy , pot, kettle etc - all anyone would have to say is ballinabracky , Kells or Clonard ....!

From the Bunker

Quote from: Jinxy on March 19, 2013, 09:34:47 PM

He was dead right too.

Ah, sure poor auld Colm has been chewing his jaw (as you'll notice he does when things are not going well) watching Meath for more than a decade now!

Jinxy

At least he has his medals I suppose.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

muppet

Quote from: lynchbhoy on March 19, 2013, 09:54:30 PM
Maybe so, but this crow flew in the 90's and apart from riling the flourbag fans up they didn't say a whole lot about it. They shut up and kept taking it (and their beatings).

Jinxy , pot, kettle etc - all anyone would have to say is ballinabracky , Kells or Clonard ....!

Yea but LB wait till they get the internet!
MWWSI 2017

lynchbhoy

Quote from: muppet on March 20, 2013, 04:36:13 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on March 19, 2013, 09:54:30 PM

Yea but LB wait till they get the internet!
Lol
Maybe so!

Orourke used to use the same phrase every time to denigrate a Kildare performance - he used to as it was a ' terrible scrappy performance by Kildare' - no matter how they played!

I'm guessing there were a few barstools aimed at the TV in the corner of pubs over these comments (invariably they prob missed their target)!!
;)