The ulster rugby trial

Started by caprea, February 01, 2018, 11:45:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CiKe

Quote from: Look-Up! on March 15, 2018, 08:02:11 PM
Was very much on the fence with this trial before the lads testimony. It looked like a case of he said she said but their stories just don't add up. Also while I had been reading the newspaper reports I'll admit I hadn't been following religiously. But just read this today for the first time which is a transcript of texts between the girl and her mate the morning after. It's from the mirror and a month old. I also cannot find the transcript being carried anywhere else by another news site but it's very disturbing reading and ties in with a lot of the other evidence and texts and has certainly got me leaning towards believing the girl.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/rugby-union/rugby-rape-trial-paddy-jackson-12027425

Christ hadn't seen that either.

Must say when I heard Jackson say something about the girl running her nails down his arm downstairs, it sounded a hell of a lot like he had marks on him that could well have come from her trying to fight him off, and that he was trying to explain away. I didn't see these mentioned anywhere or prosecution follow up on this, but maybe just missed it.

CiKe

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on March 15, 2018, 08:56:34 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 15, 2018, 08:31:27 PM
Well it's not going to be unanimous that's for sure.

And to be a majority it has to be 10 out of 11 so I'm not sure if they'll get that.

I'm sure you're right, but an interesting definition of majority...do you have the legal definition?

Not sure they will get 10 either but after reading the lads evidence (or tweets about their evidence) and that article above - I assume they were taken from somewhere and not just invented by the Mirror - leaning ever more towards guilty.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: CiKe on March 15, 2018, 09:05:20 PM

And to be a majority it has to be 10 out of 11 so I'm not sure if they'll get that.

I'm sure you're right, but an interesting definition of majority...do you have the legal definition?

Not sure they will get 10 either but after reading the lads evidence (or tweets about their evidence) and that article above - I assume they were taken from somewhere and not just invented by the Mirror - leaning ever more towards guilty.

Minimum 10

CiKe

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on March 15, 2018, 09:08:56 PM
Quote from: CiKe on March 15, 2018, 09:05:20 PM

Minimum 10

Ta

Asal Mor

Quote from: CiKe on March 15, 2018, 09:02:17 PM
Was very much on the fence with this trial before the lads testimony. It looked like a case of he said she said but their stories just don't add up. Also while I had been reading the newspaper reports I'll admit I hadn't been following religiously. But just read this today for the first time which is a transcript of texts between the girl and her mate the morning after. It's from the mirror and a month old. I also cannot find the transcript being carried anywhere else by another news site but it's very disturbing reading and ties in with a lot of the other evidence and texts and has certainly got me leaning towards believing the girl.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/rugby-union/rugby-rape-trial-paddy-jackson-12027425

Must say when I heard Jackson say something about the girl running her nails down his arm downstairs, it sounded a hell of a lot like he had marks on him that could well have come from her trying to fight him off, and that he was trying to explain away. I didn't see these mentioned anywhere or prosecution follow up on this, but maybe just missed it.
There should have been marks on Jackson if she was scratching him. None were reported. It's actually inconsistent with her evidence about complying and doesn't add up with her ignoring the other girl who walked in on them.

Funnily enough she didn't mention that girl in any of her messages.

Reading the prosecution's closing statement just sounded like more of the same that we've heard from some on this thread. Why would she put herself through all this etc. Nothing new in it from what I could see, maybe you had to be there.

sid waddell

This is an even more complete record of all the text messages that happened.

Both involving the complainant and the defendants.

https://www.joe.ie/life-style/anatomy-of-a-night-out-read-the-whatsapp-and-text-messages-sent-by-jackson-olding-mciiroy-harrison-and-others-as-heard-by-the-jury-618032

sid waddell

Quote from: Asal Mor on March 15, 2018, 09:34:19 PM

There should have been marks on Jackson if she was scratching him. None were reported. It's actually inconsistent with her evidence about complying and doesn't add up with her ignoring the other girl who walked in on them.

Reading the prosecution's closing statement just sounded like more of the same that we've heard from some on this thread. Why would she put herself through all this etc. Nothing new in it from what I could see, maybe you had to be there.

The complainant mentioned Dara Florence walking in to the police. She doesn't have to have mentioned her in her text messages, they're not official statements, they're text messages to a friend.

The complainant didn't claim to have tried to fight Jackson off.

Even if she did, there's no guarantee that Jackson would have had scratches on him two and a half days later.

Was Jackson even examined physically by police? 

whitey

She was throwing up before Olding brought her upstairs, so Im guessing she had a lot of drink on board too.  They are fvckin scumbags for trying it on with a girl whos most likely hammered, but it doesnt make them rapists.

sid waddell

Quote from: whitey on March 15, 2018, 09:42:50 PM

She was throwing up before Olding brought her upstairs, so Im guessing she had a lot of drink on board too.  They are fvckin scumbags for trying it on with a girl whos most likely hammered, but it doesnt make them rapists.

She wasn't. That was Emily Docherty, another woman at the party.

Avondhu star

Extra supplies of K.Y. Gel being prepared for Maghaberry
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Avondhu star on March 15, 2018, 10:21:07 PM
Extra supplies of K.Y. Gel being prepared for Maghaberry

From your supply?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Syferus

So typical and so pathetic. Keep explaining away rape. Most here have seen through your guise of impartiality at this stage.

Asal Mor

I wouldn't claim to be impartial at this point as it looks to me like a case of regret not rape and I hope they are cleared.

Taking your own top off, ignoring a girl that walks into the room while giving head to a lad with his hands at his side is just too modern a version of rape for me to get my caveman brain round.

I'd like to think I was impartial at the start.

You might not believe that but that's grand. If they're found guilty I won't lose any sleep over them either.

Rossfan

Avoided this thread as much as I could  but I wonder do the Jury have to consult Syfīn before reaching a conclusion?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Avondhu star

Quote from: Rossfan on March 16, 2018, 12:13:30 AM
Avoided this thread as much as I could  but I wonder do the Jury have to consult Syfīn before reaching a conclusion?
They can make their own mind up. They're not Shinner T.D.s
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you