Fairness & Fear

Started by illdecide, March 23, 2016, 09:28:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blewuporstuffed

Quote"There is nothing offensive in talking about a child's confirmation.
"A cold house arises when the ethos of conversation becomes overwhelming emanating from one side of the community.
"Our members are telling me that they would be afraid, they would be ostracised, possibly victimised if they went in on a Monday morning and started talking about an Orange Order parade.
"The Orange Order is considered a similar organisation to the GAA and that's the difficulty here.
If you excuse the pun, he is comapring apples with oranges.
How is talking about a child's confirmation, in anyway comparable to talking about an orange order parade?  :-\
When he says 'the Orange Order is considered a similar Organisation to the GAA', by whom ????
I don't think there would be a single person who is member of the GAA who would consider it in anyway similar to the Orange order.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

ziggysego

I work with both Protestants and Catholics, never a problem between. Openly talk about our religions, our cultures and our ideologies. Never a problem between us all. Sure didn't one of the wee Protestant work colleague of mine's used to play football for Tyrone Ladies.

Nelson has little to be worried about, but stirring up tensions where there are none.
Testing Accessibility

Tony Baloney

This was based on a survey of 25 (yes 25!) people in 5 civil service Departments. These people are deranged and the BBC are playing lowest common denominator shite on the radio as usual. This crap would be ignored in any sane society.

general_lee

25 out of how many thousands!?

Bigoted cĂșnts.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 23, 2016, 01:44:46 PM
This was based on a survey of 25 (yes 25!) people in 5 civil service Departments. These people are deranged and the BBC are playing lowest common denominator shite on the radio as usual. This crap would be ignored in any sane society.

25 people out of 25000 civil servants.
a sample of 0.1%

I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

blewuporstuffed

johnneycool

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on March 23, 2016, 02:02:40 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 23, 2016, 01:44:46 PM

25 people out of 25000 civil servants.
a sample of 0.1%

I was just about to say that, 25 respondents out of a workforce of 25K, approximately half of which are from a protestant persuasion, so to be fair the sample rate should be 0.2%..

FFS, I'm in trouble, was talking about the wee lad going to get his feet washed on thursday night in mixed company, I may as well go to HR now!!

general_lee

I hope some boys on here have taken note for a few conversation starters for after easter  ;D

Rossfan

If ever proof was needed that the 6 Cos is not a normal place this thread is it.
Jeeesus if you made up a stereotype Orange bigot coming out with that in a comedy sketch ...... People would say you were going over the top.
The old Croppy lie down and keep quiet mentality still to the fore.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

armaghniac

Quote from: Rossfan on March 23, 2016, 02:56:04 PM
Jeeesus if you made up a stereotype Orange bigot coming out with that in a comedy sketch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxpYW_w5pgo
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

muppet

I think it is refreshing that the head of the Orange Order is raising concerns regarding emblems & paraphernalia, associated with only one side of the community, appearing in public places. As a gesture of goodwill I would let him have his Orange mass cards.
MWWSI 2017

bennydorano

As a serving Civil Servant (one of many on here) I've found the Civil Service as an entity is definitely a fairly balanced organisation but in my experience the Religious composition of offices vary greatly and thus the conversations and general feel of an office can vary greatly. There's absolutely no doubt in my mind that the issues that the OO are raising here are 100% genuine in SOME offices, what they are not saying is that there are numerous offices where the Unionist ethos prevails just by force of numbers and it can be a bit of a cold house for Nationalists - it's a mirror image of NI as a whole, I can remember my first posting and in an office of 25/30 people, there were 3 of us who discussed GAA regularly and that was it, it was an office full of whispered conversations, but you just got on with it.

It's a can of worms they'd be safer not opening. All imo of course.

Orior

In my place of work we are recruited on ability as opposed to meeting some balance target. So it is a real mix.

All subjects are up for grabs, because people are confident in their identity and don't carry grudges.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Minder

Quote from: Orior on March 23, 2016, 07:53:26 PM
In my place of work we are recruited on ability as opposed to meeting some balance target. So it is a real mix.

All subjects are up for grabs, because people are confident in their identity and don't carry grudges.

I remember a few recent NICS competitions there was a "male Protestants are particularly under represented at this grade, and applications from this section of the community are welcome/sought" can't remember the exact wording.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

laoislad

Quote from: ziggysego on March 23, 2016, 11:58:32 AM
I work with both Protestants and Catholics, never a problem between. Openly talk about our religions, our cultures and our ideologies. Never a problem between us all. Sure didn't one of the wee Protestant work colleague of mine's used to play football for Tyrone Ladies.

Nelson has little to be worried about, but stirring up tensions where there are none.
Rule 1.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.