Is Cillian O'Connor Mayo's greatest ever?

Started by Shrewdness, June 17, 2015, 10:42:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is Cillian O'Connor Mayo's greatest ever?

Yes
7 (9.5%)
No
16 (21.6%)
Could yet be,
30 (40.5%)
Never will be
21 (28.4%)

Total Members Voted: 74

Teo Lurley

Quote from: nrico2006 on June 17, 2015, 04:01:28 PM
Quote from: Teo Lurley on June 17, 2015, 03:53:49 PM
Gooch, O'Donoghue, Kelly, Murphy, Clarke, McNamee, Brogan, Lynch, Connolly, McBrearty, Flynn, Kingston, McManus are all ahead of him for a start. He might scrape into the top 20 maybe.

Stick in Bradley, Donaghy, Cavanagh, O'Neill, McBrearty too.

He's probably top 25 then.

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

Crete Boom

Is O'Connor in the top ten worst forwards to win an allstar bearing in mind I think Alan Dillion and Andy Moran both have an allstar?? ;D
He definitely must be the worst forward to finish top scorer in the championship?? ;)
Also here is one for a GAA pub quiz , who is considered the worst forward to win young player of the year 2 years in a row and score back to back hatricks in championship football?? Cillian O'Connor anyone?? ;D

Would O'Connor be in the top ten forwards in Connacht at the moment? Probably not I suppose because you would definitely have , Lundy , Shane Walsh , Danny Cummins , Gary Sice , Creeger , Donie Shine , Murtagh and Murtagh , Senan Kilbride , Enda Smith , Adrian Marren , David Kelly , Mark Brehoney , Emlyn Mulligan , Lorcan Mulvey , Alan O'Hara , PJ Banville , Gary O'Driscoll , the Rosscommon Bus , the Rosscommon bus driver , loosehead prop Denis Buckley , secondrow Ally Muldowney , flanker Eoghan Masterson and I would include Robbie Henshaw but he is a back these days and played minor for Westmeath!!! ;D ;D

One last question what do you do if you manage to stumble upon a Marquee forward?? Do you have to keep it in a shed during the offseason or can you power wash it , spray it down with burt engine oil and throw a good canvas cover over it?? Are they hard on diesel??

Mac2

Quote from: Shrewdness on June 17, 2015, 02:52:27 PM
In the opinion of the Mayo lads here, how does Cillian O' Connor compare at 23 years old, to Conor Mortimer when he was 23??...There was a lot more to Mortimer's game than just freetaking.
I'd say O'Connor's a better speller.

Syferus

Quote from: Mac2 on June 17, 2015, 04:37:40 PM
In the opinion of the Mayo lads here, how does Cillian O' Connor compare at 23 years old, to Conor Mortimer when he was 23??...There was a lot more to Mortimer's game than just freetaking.

COC's Being just a free-taker is a misnomer and based on his first year or two at senior. From 2013 onwards his ability to score from play and pass have been as important as his free-taking. Offers a lot more to a team than Mortimer did.

sligoman

Quote from: Syferus on June 17, 2015, 04:58:46 PM
Quote from: Mac2 on June 17, 2015, 04:37:40 PM

COC's Being just a free-taker is a misnomer and based on his first year or two at senior. From 2013 onwards his ability to score from play and pass have been as important as his free-taking. Offers a lot more to a team than Mortimer did.

I'd be interested on seeing the stats on this if available.

Teo Lurley

I've only got the top scorers list from last year in my search. O'Connor was way out in front with 51 scores to O'Donoghues 36 but when you take away the frees O'Connor only scored 15 from play which puts him well down the list in 10th. He got a score from play once every 30 minutes on average. He played New York as well last year.

Edit: Out of the 40 he got in 2013, 18 were from play. It's a better number but it has to be remembered that Mayo played London in the Connaght final of that year.

Edit: In 2012, of the 28 scores O'Connor got, only 2 points were from play.

So in conclusion, O'Connor has definitely improved from being just a free taker but he's an average enough scorer from play considering the runs Mayo have gone on and some of the teams they've played.

moysider

And who de fkcu do other teams play? Barcelona? Toulon? Patriots?

Rossfan

Is this the daftest title to a thread ever?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

muppet

Quote from: Teo Lurley on June 17, 2015, 05:36:05 PM
I've only got the top scorers list from last year in my search. O'Connor was way out in front with 51 scores to O'Donoghues 36 but when you take away the frees O'Connor only scored 15 from play which puts him well down the list in 10th. He got a score from play once every 30 minutes on average. He played New York as well last year.

Edit: Out of the 40 he got in 2013, 18 were from play. It's a better number but it has to be remembered that Mayo played London in the Connaght final of that year.

Edit: In 2012, of the 28 scores O'Connor got, only 2 points were from play.

So in conclusion, O'Connor has definitely improved from being just a free taker but he's an average enough scorer from play considering the runs Mayo have gone on and some of the teams they've played.

In 2013 he played a total of 89 minutes Championship football. He still was top scorer.

I think this current fascination with O'Connor is because of last sunday. He scored 8 frees and 9 points. The armchair fan probably expected more. But the armchair Gaa fan doesn't seem to know that he recently played only 15 minutes of football for his club and nothing else for months due to yet another injury.

Aiden O'Shea was pummelling the Mitchels a few week ago in a club game.

It wasn't hard to predict who was going better coming into last Sunday's game.

But yerra away off and enjoy yourselves.......
MWWSI 2017

sligoman

Failed to score from play in 2 All Ireland finals.

Teo Lurley

The Mayo fans seem to be taking this personally. O'Connor is the greatest forward ever in the greatest team ever. Happy now?

He's a good player, not a great player. As we've said, he's in the top 25 of forwards currently playing.

muppet

Quote from: sligoman on June 17, 2015, 08:17:24 PM

What is the fascination with bashing O'Connor?

A crocked 21 year old (2 dislocated shoulders that summer) fails to score in a game and you are posting on the internet slaughtering him.

Good man yourself, you must have been some player.
MWWSI 2017

sligoman

Quote from: muppet on June 17, 2015, 08:21:03 PM

A crocked 21 year old (2 dislocated shoulders that summer) fails to score in a game and you are posting on the internet slaughtering him.

Who is bashing him? When Brady comes out with nonsense like the above then he is setting O'Connor up for a fall. I don't think O'Connor is as good as made out in some quarters.

muppet

Quote from: sligoman on June 17, 2015, 08:31:31 PM
Quote from: muppet on June 17, 2015, 08:21:03 PM

Who is bashing him? When Brady comes out with nonsense like the above then he is setting O'Connor up for a fall. I don't think O'Connor is as good as made out in some quarters.

You are.

You then went looking for stats to back up this bashing.

James O'Donoghue has never scored from play or from a free in an All-Ireland Final. By your logic he must be sh*ite altogether.
MWWSI 2017