Is Cillian O'Connor Mayo's greatest ever?

Started by Shrewdness, June 17, 2015, 10:42:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is Cillian O'Connor Mayo's greatest ever?

Yes
7 (9.5%)
No
16 (21.6%)
Could yet be,
30 (40.5%)
Never will be
21 (28.4%)

Total Members Voted: 74

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: Shrewdness on June 17, 2015, 10:09:05 PM
Iolarcoiscuain, i'm not trying to back out of anything. As for your comments about O'Connor and Roscommon, stop talking bullshit.

Ah now lookit. There's no need for corner-boy language in a friendly discussion like this. I'm surprised at you.

sans pessimism

Quote from: sligoman on June 17, 2015, 09:21:26 PM
James O'Donohoe played very deep in one All Ireland final. O'Connor was deployed as an out and out full forward in two. They are not really comparable.

I think you are taking things too much to heart if you are deeming what I'm saying about O'Connor as bashing. I feel he is overrated and I feel that he has a lot to prove yet, he has plenty of time on his hands to do so.
put down that shovel and step away from the hole
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

sligoman

Quote from: sans pessimism on June 17, 2015, 10:46:05 PM
James O'Donohoe played very deep in one All Ireland final. O'Connor was deployed as an out and out full forward in two. They are not really comparable.

I think you are taking things too much to heart if you are deeming what I'm saying about O'Connor as bashing. I feel he is overrated and I feel that he has a lot to prove yet, he has plenty of time on his hands to do so.

You've managed to get things arseways here as the only one digging the holes for themselves are those who are imagining  O'Connor being bashed, God help us if someone called him rubbish in this thread! Valid points have been raised as to his all round game in line with his reputation. That is not bashing.

muppet

Quote from: sligoman on June 17, 2015, 10:54:36 PM

You've managed to get things arseways here as the only one digging the holes for themselves are those who are imagining  O'Connor being bashed, God help us if someone called him rubbish in this thread! Valid points have been raised as to his all round game in line with his reputation. That is not bashing.

You are the one running him down.

QuoteFailed to score from play in 2 All Ireland finals.

QuoteI don't think O'Connor is as good as made out in some quarters.

QuoteDo you think he is Mayo's greatest every player?

QuoteDo you think he is one of the top 10 forwards in the game right now?

QuoteI don't think he contributes enough from open play, I don't think defenders or managers would worry about him as much from open play as some of the other top forwards in the game.

Mayo fans know exactly how good he is from play. If we could spare him inside, he is by far and away our best passer and he would start every game at 11. He is a fantastic tackler, ask Neil Magee. Has has an unbelievable attitude, which explains his quick returns from bad injury, and scored 6 goals, including 2 hatricks the year he only played 89 minutes.

Incidentally none of his hatricks were from frees.

He won YPOTY twice, top scored in the Championship twice and is a current All-Star.

But in Sligo that would be sh*te.
MWWSI 2017

Farrandeelin

To answer Shrewdness's original question, I voted 'No'.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

sligoman

Quote from: muppet on June 17, 2015, 11:09:56 PM

QuoteI don't think he contributes enough from open play, I don't think defenders or managers would worry about him as much from open play as some of the other top forwards in the game.

Mayo fans know exactly how good he is from play. If we could spare him inside, he is by far and away our best passer and he would start every game at 11. He is a fantastic tackler, ask Neil Magee. Has has an unbelievable attitude, which explains his quick returns from bad injury, and scored 6 goals, including 2 hatricks the year he only played 89 minutes.

He won YPOTY twice, top scored in the Championship twice and is a current All-Star.

I fail to see how I am running him down. I haven't said he is a bad player or useless. I said I think he has been overrated. I don't have the stats at hand but I don't think his scoring record from play is too hot for a player of his reputation, there was a post a few pages back that seemed to back that up. I don't think he is particularly quick or a particularly good ball winner or able to get scores out of nothing from play. Having an opinion on O'Connor not being a good a player as some allude to is not bashing him. I don't think O'Connor would make the Dublin or Kerry forward lines if I'm being honest. I don't think he is that good a tackler either, he fouls a lot but he gets away with it. The Cork backroom team brought attention to it last year before the quarter final.

moysider

Quote from: sligoman on June 17, 2015, 11:30:18 PM

I fail to see how I am running him down. I haven't said he is a bad player or useless. I said I think he has been overrated. I don't have the stats at hand but I don't think his scoring record from play is too hot for a player of his reputation, there was a post a few pages back that seemed to back that up. I don't think he is particularly quick or a particularly good ball winner or able to get scores out of nothing from play. Having an opinion on O'Connor not being a good a player as some allude to is not bashing him. I don't think O'Connor would make the Dublin or Kerry forward lines if I'm being honest. I don't think he is that good a tackler either, he fouls a lot but he gets away with it. The Cork backroom team brought attention to it last year before the quarter final.

They would, wouldn't they  ::)

Jaysus you have some set on him.
Far from being overrated, this thread shows that a lot of people underrate him. But you re judgement is you re judgement and good luck to ye.

moysider

muppet

Quote from: moysider on June 17, 2015, 11:50:03 PM
Quote from: sligoman on June 17, 2015, 11:30:18 PM

They would, wouldn't they  ::)

Jaysus you have some set on him.
Far from being overrated, this thread shows that a lot of people underrate him. But you re judgement is you re judgement and good luck to ye.

Cillian must have stolen his girlfriend.

Cork complaining about tactical fouling does not mean he is not a good tackler.  :D In fact Cork management targetting a 22 year in the media tells you all you need to know about how highly they rated him.
MWWSI 2017

moysider

Lets see if sligoman is so dissy of O Connor after they beat the Rossies ;)

muppet

Quote from: moysider on June 18, 2015, 12:13:45 AM

In fairness if they get past the holy trinity of Connacht's finest forwwards, he would be right to be confident.
MWWSI 2017

moysider

Quote from: muppet on June 18, 2015, 12:21:59 AM

In fairness if they get past the holy trinity of Connacht's finest forwwards, he would be right to be confident.

Sheesh. That's true  :(

The holy trinity and 3 saint patricks as impact subs.

weareros

Quote from: moysider on June 18, 2015, 12:37:19 AM
Quote from: muppet on June 18, 2015, 12:21:59 AM

Sheesh. That's true  :(

The holy trinity and 3 saint patricks as impact subs.

ye can keep the Saint Patrick's. Unlike ye, we don't steal Mayomen.

INDIANA

Good player but David Brady must have been on the piss. Not at Mc Donald's level.

I mean has Brady ever watched Keith Higgins ? Higgins is head and shoulders the best Mayo player since Mc Donald.

I think Brady is involved with Castleknock down here. God help them.

Hardy

This is becoming one of my favourite threads.

Feckit, is it the greatest ever?