NFL Division Two 2022

Started by Blowitupref, January 15, 2022, 09:05:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

westbound

Quote from: screenexile on March 29, 2022, 11:16:53 AM
Agree with above.

I think Roscommon/Derry/Kildare are maybe just a small step below the other 8 teams when it comes down to it.

Who are you including as the 'other' 8? I assume the top 6 in Div 1, plus Dublin & Galway?

Champion The Wonder Horse

Quote from: Rossfan on March 29, 2022, 11:24:19 AM
Quote from: Champion The Wonder Horse on March 29, 2022, 11:09:43 AM
Congratulations to Roscommon on their promotion. No sour grapes here. I don't think Derry are a div 1 side and I don't think they will be one this time next year.

It would have been interesting to see what would have happened if the last two sets of fixtures had been reversed, or if the Galway / Roscommon game had been winner takes all like Monaghan / Dublin.
But they weren't and it wasn't. Sin é.

The two promoted teams fully deserved to go up and best of luck to both next season.
Fair play and as I said before there was no acrimony among the players on the field after the final whistle.
In the 3 team mini league we got 3 pts, Galway 2 and Derry 1.
The gap between the top 3 and the rest was surprising in this normally tight Division. (If the Hurley crowd ran the NFL they'd make it a 12 team 1st Division!)
Derry's 11 points would have seen them promoted most years.

Every season before this one in every division apparently.

The hurling thing is a good point. I'd actually think about two leagues of 11 and one of 10, with three up and three down. Mirrors senior / intermediate and junior club set ups and means five home and away matches for everyone in the top divisions.

oakleaflad

Agree with the above. We didn't get the results to be promoted and so be it. In all honesty I think most fans would agree that whilst we've made serious progress over the last few years since relegation to Division 4, we're still probably just outside the top 10 teams in the country. This means that we may well miss out on promotion next year again with Dublin and Kildare coming down.
I'd still be hopeful we have the ability to take a scalp in the championship. An Ulster would be a tough ask as there are 4 other very strong teams you'd have to rank ahead of us. That being said it's good to have the majority of the best players in the county committed and some good underage teams recently to filter through over the next few years.

Best of luck to Roscommon and Galway in Div1 next year. It's a tough one to stay in and helps massively with the development of a team if they can do so.

David McKeown

Quote from: Armagh18 on March 29, 2022, 11:07:28 AM
I see the Offaly keeper may be asked to apologise for his social media posts, as they may be in breach of the GAA's social media policy? Since when has this been a thing?

I saw this. Interesting what he said that referees clearly don't know the rules. I've noticed that a few times this year but what I've also noticed is the rule book is far from clear. Kerry got away with the same thing that he was complaining about twice against Kerry and whilst I knew it was an offence I'd no idea what the sanction for it was. Even after consulting the official guide I'm still not sure.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

yellowcard

Quote from: David McKeown on March 29, 2022, 11:49:04 AM
I see the Offaly keeper may be asked to apologise for his social media posts, as they may be in breach of the GAA's social media policy? Since when has this been a thing?

I saw this. Interesting what he said that referees clearly don't know the rules. I've noticed that a few times this year but what I've also noticed is the rule book is far from clear. Kerry got away with the same thing that he was complaining about twice against Kerry and whilst I knew it was an offence I'd no idea what the sanction for it was. Even after consulting the official guide I'm still not sure.

Either way he has every right to feel hard done by. If the same incident is treated differently within the same match then there is a major problem. If both incidences had been penalised with the same penalty then it wouldn't be a major issue. A rare example of where 2 wrongs make a right. Instead Offaly were shafted by incompetent officials.

Armagh18

Read that the earlier offence was that the kickout was too short, not that the ball was played back to the keeper. A tap over free seems harsh enough for playing the ball back to the keeper I think.

Either way, how on earth do the GAA think they have a right to control what anyone posts on social media.

yellowcard

Quote from: Armagh18 on March 29, 2022, 01:13:08 PM

Read that the earlier offence was that the kickout was too short, not that the ball was played back to the keeper. A tap over free seems harsh enough for playing the ball back to the keeper I think.

Either way, how on earth do the GAA think they have a right to control what anyone posts on social media.

That's not what he stated in the article.

"So I chose the '50/50 ball instead of a 45 (free shot at goal) obviously. But the referee then gave a free in from the 14 for the same rule they called earlier in the game as a throw ball.''

clarshack

Quote from: Armagh18 on March 29, 2022, 01:13:08 PM

Exactly, we aren't living in China.

screenexile

Quote from: westbound on March 29, 2022, 11:40:10 AM
Agree with above.

I think Roscommon/Derry/Kildare are maybe just a small step below the other 8 teams when it comes down to it.

Who are you including as the 'other' 8? I assume the top 6 in Div 1, plus Dublin & Galway?

Correct

Blowitupref

Agree with above.

I think there is a top five at the moment with Mayo,Tyrone,Kerry,Donegal,Dublin. The latter two one is in transition and the other probably should have brought in a new manager with new ideas.

Not a lot between Derry/Kildare/Roscommon/Armagh/Monaghan/Galway games that could go either way if they are to fare off this summer.

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

manfromdelmonte

Agree with above.

Roscommon are getting stronger again due to some very good players coming into the adult squad
Probably will have new management too
I think if they target the league next year they can stay up, similar to 2016

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: Blowitupref on March 29, 2022, 02:08:28 PM
Agree with above.

I think there is a top five at the moment with Mayo,Tyrone,Kerry,Donegal,Dublin. The latter two one is in transition and the other probably should have brought in a new manager with new ideas.

Not a lot between Derry/Kildare/Roscommon/Armagh/Monaghan/Galway games that could go either way if they are to fare off this summer.

There is a top 4 and Donegal aren't in it. Donegal keep getting put up in the top contender category, they have failed in every big championship match in recent years.

oliverkelly

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on March 29, 2022, 02:30:42 PM
Quote from: Blowitupref on March 29, 2022, 02:08:28 PM
Agree with above.

There is a top 4 and Donegal aren't in it. Donegal keep getting put up in the top contender category, they have failed in every big championship match in recent years.
Couldnt agree more

Captain Obvious

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on March 29, 2022, 02:30:42 PM
They haven't reached All Ireland semi final since 2014. Tipperary has reached two Semi finals since then.

They have a squad that should be a contender. Fresh approach is needed and I'm not sure why Bonner was kept on this year. Dublin are not the force they once were and may well be beaten in All Ireland quarter final this year. Mayo,Kerry,Tyrone will reach the last four unless drawn against each other in the quarter final.

tbrick18

If Derry had gone up, I think we'd be going straight back down next year and personally I dont think that's good for the development of a team.
As it is, being in a division with Dublin and Kildare (no disrespect to the other Div2 sides) will give us plenty of opportunity to progress further next year.

As far as top teams go, I'd have Mayo/Kerry/Tyrone as the top 3 with Galway being a real dark horse. I think if they had everyone fit with Joyce as manager they could give anyone a game. Donegal are on the slide and recently we've seen that they have too much of a reliance on murphy. Age is catching up on him and so Donegal are on the slide. Plus, I don't rate Bonnar as a good manager.

Dublin could slide further back......it really depends on how they react to relegation and whether or not they can find some new young players to develop into the side. Not sure about management credential here either, but in saying that, whoever came in after Gavin was always going to be a failure in comparison.