County Manager Merry go round

Started by Rossfan, July 13, 2016, 10:14:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 07, 2016, 12:02:26 PM
Quote from: mrdeeds on September 07, 2016, 12:00:49 PM
Quote from: oliverkelly on September 07, 2016, 09:43:44 AM
On Jack Cooney I know he is highly taught off in Celbridge but has done very little with them. Paul Curran I would steer clear off.

On our own situation joint managers don't work and thankfully the right decision has been made.

Sorry to be ignorant but who is Jack.Cooney and what's his pedigree?

I think he used to play with Westmeath. Has lovely hair. Got sent off against Kildare in Tullamore I think. That's about it :)

He was involved in various backroom teams in Westmeath and other counties I think.

Was in the hay-penny's place compared to Noel Lynch's.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Cunny Funt

Quote from: oliverkelly on September 07, 2016, 03:59:02 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on September 07, 2016, 03:40:22 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on September 07, 2016, 10:20:07 AM
What were McS/McH doing all year so?
Who didn't "aloud" them to do anything?
What does joint manager mean - Obviously in this case it was " you take the shit" and I'll stay back and be the goodie two shoes.
Who will be hung next year?

If they had all resigned and let Co Board or clubs propose someone incl outgoing people it would be fairer.
Of course the nasty oul clubs mightn't do what the puppet master wants.

Always has to be a scapegoat when things go wrong. This was meant to be a 3 year project and management to be judged after that. It's unlikely any good will come from forcing Roscommon football men to core out after one year against their will. To put this into context a Kerry man John Evans was given a full three years and wanted to stay for a 4th year.

He wasn't forced out, The joint management wasn't working both looked for the job outright ,no point continuing in joint management when its not working and one side having no say . Players backed McStay and when O'Donnell realised county board were to give it to McStay fergal withdrew.

Joint management was working fine when Roscommon reached the div one semi final beating the likes of Kerry,Cork,Donegal along the way. This summer was the first time in 5 years that Roscommon reached a provincial final. For me no management should be judged on one year and especially when managing a team that are work in progress.

You seem to be individual that has agenda against one side of the now former management team. Am I expected to believe your side of events?

Avondhu star

Quote from: Cunny Funt on September 07, 2016, 05:38:22 PM
What does joint manager mean - Obviously in this case it was " you take the shit" and I'll stay back and be the goodie two shoes.

If they had all resigned and let Co Board or clubs propose someone incl outgoing people it would be fairer.

Always has to be a scapegoat when things go wrong. This was meant to be a 3 year project and management to be judged after that. It's unlikely any good will come from forcing Roscommon football men to core out after one year against their will. To put this into context a Kerry man John Evans was given a full three years and wanted to stay for a 4th year.

He wasn't forced out, The joint management wasn't working both looked for the job outright ,no point continuing in joint management when its not working and one side having no say . Players backed McStay and when O'Donnell realised county board were to give it to McStay fergal withdrew.

Joint management was working fine when Roscommon reached the div one semi final beating the likes of Kerry,Cork,Donegal along the way. This summer was the first time in 5 years that Roscommon reached a provincial final. For me no management should be judged on one year and especially when managing a team that are work in progress.

You seem to be individual that has agenda against one side of the now former management team. Am I expected to believe your side of events?

It wasn't the management that fannied around in the last five minutes against Galway instead of showing leadership and going for a win
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

oliverkelly

Quote from: Cunny Funt on September 07, 2016, 05:38:22 PM

No you don't need to take me an unknown to you poster word for it. Ask the players. I have already spoken to players from north south east and west of the county and not many have shed a tear. The players could well have done a Mayo on it had today's decision not been made. Just ask a few of the panel

Rossfan

What exactly were the player's/players' problem(s)?
Why could they not have taken these to the team captain and ask him to take them to management?Or was it one of two bucks running to daddy with their moans and daddy in turn going to the Hatch/plotters to try and shaft Fergal?
Why are unelected non officials deciding who should and shouldn't manage our County team?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Cunny Funt

QuoteNo you don't need to take me an unknown to you poster word for it. Ask the players. I have already spoken to players from north south east and west of the county and not many have shed a tear. The players could well have done a Mayo on it had today's decision not been made. Just ask a few of the panel

Maybe when you go back chating with those Roscommon players you can remind them that some of their performances over the years would have made a grown loyal supporter cry as for Mayo they have a seasoned and experienced panel of players that have won numerous Connacht titles,All Ireland quarter semi finals and earned the voice to seek a change.

Jinxy

O'Donnell always came across as a gentleman.
Sounds like he was blackguarded here.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Syferus

Quote from: Cunny Funt on September 07, 2016, 07:24:38 PM

QuoteNo you don't need to take me an unknown to you poster word for it. Ask the players. I have already spoken to players from north south east and west of the county and not many have shed a tear. The players could well have done a Mayo on it had today's decision not been made. Just ask a few of the panel

Maybe when you go back chating with those Roscommon players you can remind them that some of their performances over the years would have made a grown loyal supporter cry as for Mayo they have a seasoned and experienced panel of players that have won numerous Connacht titles,All Ireland quarter semi finals and earned the voice to seek a change.

No panel earns a voice to shaft managers they don't like. Mayo's nonsense was far more agregious and arrogant. At best a couple of disaffected lads would have checked out next year if Fergal was back. Comparing two very different situations there.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Jinxy on September 07, 2016, 07:36:17 PM

Would agree with this.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Rossfan

Quote from: Farrandeelin on September 07, 2016, 08:41:57 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on September 07, 2016, 07:36:17 PM

Would agree with this.

He's one gentleman alright as I know from personal experiences.

oliverkelly

Quote from: Rossfan on September 07, 2016, 06:40:40 PM
Why could they not have taken these to the team captain and ask him to take them to management?Or was it one of two bucks running to daddy with their moans and daddy in turn going to the Hatch/plotters to try and shaft Fergal?
Why are unelected non officials deciding who should and shouldn't manage our County team?

Team captain had no communication with management all year no more than the rest of the squad, they never rang him once outside of training to seek his opinion on anything so pretty pointless asking him to approach them. One the main issues was lack of communication from management no body what was going on. Where they stood in panel what tactic were been played. Lads were no let express themselves a lot of the feedback was given out about any time a player tried take a man on someone on line was roaring into him saying he should be fisting ball back out.
Not enjoying training, the whole atmosphere was extremely negative compaired with what was starting to become a positive mood in camp from previous year or two.

He is a gentleman and I wish him all the best In future wherever that is. He is heist not the right fit at the moment

Rossfan

If players weren't happy they should have approached management or demanded a " clear the air" meeting.
Suggests a serious lack of leadership among the panel.

If what you say is true - sounds like an army unit rather than an amateur sports team.
Officers know best and foot soldiers will be dealt with on a need to know basis.

oliverkelly

Quote from: Rossfan on September 07, 2016, 09:15:42 PM
If players weren't happy they should have approached management or demanded a " clear the air" meeting.
Suggests a serious lack of leadership among the panel.

If what you say is true - sounds like an army unit rather than an amateur sports team.
Officers know best and foot soldiers will be dealt with on a need to know basis.

Who could have approached them though? Most of the leaders on the panel were not given a fair shot this year and to approach management would have looked like sour grapes.
I agree it sounds like an army unit. One of the lads said it was like a cult and everyone was afraid say or do anything. Obviously there are a few lads not happy Fergal is gone but majority are. Think players didn't agree with joint management as they felt Fergal had the upper hand and they were a bit surprised by mcstays lack of input whether that was because he wasn't let or didn't bother is anyone's guess but that's what happened as far as I am concerned.

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: Rossfan on September 07, 2016, 06:40:40 PM

What's all this about a hatch?

Rossfan

Ros GAA open for nominations for new Senior team manager.
Macs gone or just a technicalityy to get McStay officially appointed???

Ya couldn' t make it up..... :-[

PS Wonder could I nominate Strokestown man. He seems to be a lucky chap ;)