Started by corn02, September 24, 2008, 01:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

corn02

Quote from: corn02 on September 24, 2008, 03:25:58 PM
Quote from: red hander on September 24, 2008, 03:07:21 PM
Quote from: corn02 on September 24, 2008, 02:59:34 PM
Quote from: red hander on September 24, 2008, 02:57:59 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on September 24, 2008, 02:43:34 PM
Bummer what is this fixation with the two Brians? One of them lives beside me and I see him every day and will tell him there is a Tyrone geek who is obsessed with him.

There is no analogy between M Harte and the two Brians. M Harte had won one real All Ireland and one back door All Ireland yet there was practically universal clamour for his removal after the Tyrone defeat by Down this year.

The two Brians won two Ulster Championships and had failed (unluckily) in two All Ireland semi finals, hence the clamour (mainly from S Armagh) for their heads.

As I said no comparison whatsoever

'there was practically universal clamour for his removal after the Tyrone defeat by Down this year'. BULLSHIT   The people calling for Mickey's head were a small minority, the same sort of people who abused his son when he played for the county. The Irish News had a front page plug jumping to its 'off the fence' column at the time (it may even have used the word clamour)... when you turned to read all about this 'clamour' it amounted to TWO phonecall to the IN calling for MH's head  ... TWO!    The vast majority of Tyrone fans backed MH after the Down games, this, afterall, was the man to who had brought us two All-Irelands (now three, which is TWO more than youse have) ...

Or maybe they just printed two.

Well, why hype something up on the front page if you're then going to sell the reader short?  Off the fence has many times in the past dedicated itself to one subject with several  people's views printed, why not then?

In all my years reading off the fence I can never recall them covering just one subject

. Would you want them to dedicate eight pages to it if there actually was acouple 100 calls about it?

Just had a qucik scan through the Tyrone - V Down last few pages. A lot of qauestioning of Harte, so it was hardly two people.

the Deel Rover

was definitely shouting for Galway in 1998 just wanted some team from connacht to bring SAM across the Shannon however a part of me was jealous of them considering they had finished the job and we couldn't in 1996 , 1997 i was still shouting for them in 2001 but not as loudly ;) as regards the minors was up for roscommon in 2006 and galway last year so I'd definitely would be shouting for a team from the province even though sligonian has put me off ever shouting for sligo again  :P ;) :D
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Doogie Browser

Quote from: 5 Sams on September 24, 2008, 03:24:17 PM
Quote from: Goats Do Shave on September 24, 2008, 03:04:08 PM
Quote from: corn02 on September 24, 2008, 02:59:58 PM
Quote from: Goats Do Shave on September 24, 2008, 02:59:03 PM
QuoteI did think Ross Carr made himself look a right dick on TV on Saturday night.

Totally agree, couldn't believe he came out with that!

Missed it , what happened?

He was asked who he thought would win, and he said with the straightest face & the most dreariest voice I've ever heard -

"I've recently met Paul Galvin, & sincerely hope that Kerry beat Tyrone." - or something like that... can't remember the exact wording now!  ::)
Quote from: Doogie Browser on September 24, 2008, 03:07:12 PM
No, he basically said Paul Galvin is the long lost son he wish he had or words to that affect  :-[, I was cringeing, thank god Grainne Seoige was there to help me through it.

Why let the truth get in the way of a good story hey lads???

In fact what he said was that he had got quite friendly with Paul Galvin over the last 18 months and that he would like to see him lift Sam on Sunday.

What wrong with that? Is he not allowed an opinion....just because he didnt go along with all the other sheep and say "Come on Tyrone"...he has made a dick of himself in your eyes....wise up FFS. :-\

You were watching a different programme than me then as I would say the majority of people on the night opted for Kerry much the same as on the Road to Croker on Thurs night.  So most of the sheep went for Kerry too, unless ewe are kidding?

red hander

Quote from: corn02 on September 24, 2008, 03:41:45 PM
Quote from: corn02 on September 24, 2008, 03:25:58 PM
Bummer what is this fixation with the two Brians? One of them lives beside me and I see him every day and will tell him there is a Tyrone geek who is obsessed with him.

There is no analogy between M Harte and the two Brians. M Harte had won one real All Ireland and one back door All Ireland yet there was practically universal clamour for his removal after the Tyrone defeat by Down this year.

The two Brians won two Ulster Championships and had failed (unluckily) in two All Ireland semi finals, hence the clamour (mainly from S Armagh) for their heads.

'there was practically universal clamour for his removal after the Tyrone defeat by Down this year'. BULLSHIT   The people calling for Mickey's head were a small minority, the same sort of people who abused his son when he played for the county. The Irish News had a front page plug jumping to its 'off the fence' column at the time (it may even have used the word clamour)... when you turned to read all about this 'clamour' it amounted to TWO phonecall to the IN calling for MH's head  ... TWO!    The vast majority of Tyrone fans backed MH after the Down games, this, afterall, was the man to who had brought us two All-Irelands (now three, which is TWO more than youse have) ...

Well, why hype something up on the front page if you're then going to sell the reader short?  Off the fence has many times in the past dedicated itself to one subject with several  people's views printed, why not then?

In all my years reading off the fence I can never recall them covering just one subject

. Would you want them to dedicate eight pages to it if there actually was acouple 100 calls about it?

Just had a qucik scan through the Tyrone - V Down last few pages. A lot of qauestioning of Harte, so it was hardly two people.

'A lot of questioning of Harte' There's a big difference between 'questioning' someone's tactics and a 'universal clamour for his removal' do you not think?

5 Sams

Quote from: Doogie Browser on September 24, 2008, 03:43:38 PM
Quote from: 5 Sams on September 24, 2008, 03:24:17 PM
Quote from: Goats Do Shave on September 24, 2008, 03:04:08 PM
Quote from: corn02 on September 24, 2008, 02:59:58 PM
Quote from: Goats Do Shave on September 24, 2008, 02:59:03 PM
QuoteI did think Ross Carr made himself look a right dick on TV on Saturday night.

Totally agree, couldn't believe he came out with that!

Missed it , what happened?

He was asked who he thought would win, and he said with the straightest face & the most dreariest voice I've ever heard -

"I've recently met Paul Galvin, & sincerely hope that Kerry beat Tyrone." - or something like that... can't remember the exact wording now!  ::)
Quote from: Doogie Browser on September 24, 2008, 03:07:12 PM
No, he basically said Paul Galvin is the long lost son he wish he had or words to that affect  :-[, I was cringeing, thank god Grainne Seoige was there to help me through it.

Why let the truth get in the way of a good story hey lads???

In fact what he said was that he had got quite friendly with Paul Galvin over the last 18 months and that he would like to see him lift Sam on Sunday.

What wrong with that? Is he not allowed an opinion....just because he didnt go along with all the other sheep and say "Come on Tyrone"...he has made a dick of himself in your eyes....wise up FFS. :-\

You were watching a different programme than me then as I would say the majority of people on the night opted for Kerry much the same as on the Road to Croker on Thurs night.  So most of the sheep went for Kerry too, unless ewe are kidding?

I'm talking about the sheep on here Doogie
The Aristocrat Years

bennydorano

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on September 24, 2008, 03:26:06 PM

Seems to me like a lot of it is just basking in reflected glory.

How does that work then?  I was genuinely delighted for Holmes and Tyrone on Sunday, but it had wore off by 6 O' clock & I wouldn't have lost any sleep if they'd lost.  

downredblack

I remember the aul fella telling us to follow your county then your Province .  Obviously this was pre backdoor , so the winner of the Ulster championship would be the sole representative of Ulster football left in the Championship . I don't find anything strange in supporting your Province and certainly don't feel like a sheep for doing so .

under the bar

Quotethe crowing done after they got a soft free to win the AI Semi Final oin 2005.

So Armagh wouldn't have "crowed" if they had beaten Tyrone to go on & win Sam in 2005??

QuoteSimilarly I can't be doing with Down crowing about 5 Sams either.

5 Sams is some achievement and one that Armagh would crow about forever.  Thankfully we in Down & Tyrone are very unlikely to see it in our collective lifetimes.

Your endless rants and attempts to undermine the success of your considerably superior neighbours would indicate that it is you who has the problem dealing with the success  of Down & Tyrone, not the fans of those superior neighbouring counties.  

Keep the posts coming, they are keeping us in entertainment.  

;D :D

T Fearon

Actually I know a lot of people from Armagh who  were  not supporting Tyrone on Sunday last but were rooting positively for Kerry, so this is not just indifference but a case of ABT (Anybody But Tyrone). As I say the gloating after 2003 and 2005, the whinging done after their manly defeat in that year's (2005) Ulster Final, Marsden getting sent off after being set up by Jordan, the failure to provide a guard of honour in the NFL Game in Omagh in 2003 etc all adds up. Also many of us remember hundreds of Tyrone flags greeting every Laois score in the 2003 qtr final with Armagh

I never thought I would see the day when I saw eye to eye with 5Sams but there you go.

naka

tony most of my mates were rooting for tyrone on sunday but by 6pm it had worn off with the hope that they win no more and armagh put in place a management team that might get us another crack at sam( but that is for another day)

red hander

'Also many of us remember hundreds of Tyrone flags greeting every Laois score in the 2003 qtr final with Armagh'
And Armagh fans weren't cheering on Fermanagh for the two minutes they were competitive on that very same day?

T Fearon

Agreed Naka, here's hoping for a meeting with the Backstreet sorry Backdoor Boys in next year's Ulster Championship ;)

Puckoon

Most people support teams with which they have connections once their own team is knocked out.

That connection may be friends, family, or a healthy respect for players they played against at school/colleges level.

I have no qualms about seeing any ulster team win, if Tyrone are not to be in the honours.

Whats the big deal - or do you all enjoy being a bunch of begrudging grumpy crabbit auld hewers?

under the bar

My aunt and uncle were a at threshing fair near Mullabawn on Sunday.  At it they had 2 big screens up and described the cheers that went up when Tyrone won.   I've head similar stories about clubs & pubs from other neighbouring counties, in areas where decent Gaels live.  Thankfully the minority bone-idle buckfast swillers from Craigavon / Lurgan don't represent the whole of the county of Armagh.

We feel your pain Tony, We love your pain!   Keep hurting!  ;D :D   ;D

TYRONE ALL IRELAND CHAMPIONS 2003, 2005 & 2008!   - Live with it!!

SidelineKick

Quote from: under the bar on September 24, 2008, 04:33:59 PM
My aunt and uncle were a at threshing fair near Mullabawn on Sunday.  At it they had 2 big screens up and described the cheers that went up when Tyrone won.   I've head similar stories about clubs & pubs from other neighbouring counties, in areas where decent Gaels live.  Thankfully the minority bone-idle buckfast swillers from Craigavon / Lurgan don't represent the whole of the county.

We feel your pain Tony, We love your pain!   Keep hurting!  ;D :D   ;D

TYRONE ALL IRELAND CHAMPIONS 2003, 2005 & 2008!   - Live with it!!

i fully supported tyrone on sunday but now im rememberin why i used to take pleasure in them losing. i still admore the team but cant understand why red hander wont admit that there was a large section of "supporters" wanting mickey harte to go. in case u hadnt noticed the irish news can only print so much and im sure they wudnt want to dedicate the entire off the fence to putting down one individual. unless maybe red hander u were one of the non believers after the down game??
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.