Started by seafoid, April 25, 2018, 07:46:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

manfromdelmonte

Joe Canning carried Galway yesterday.
Everytime he got the ball he won a free

johnnycool

Quote from: sid waddell on August 05, 2018, 10:03:48 PM
Quote from: Capt Pat on August 05, 2018, 09:53:54 PM
Clare had 19 wides to 13 for Galway. That statistic shows the difference between the teams. However something I would look at is why Podge Collins was given 63 minutes to score one point while Shanagher was given only the remainder of the game to make an impact. Shanagher at this point in time looks a much more effective scoring forward. I don't really see what Podge offers to be honest.
I'd rate Aaron Cunningham higher than him too - he's in the US at the moment though.

Podge has been living off past glories for a long time. Everything seemed to come together for him in '13 but he's been a shadow of that ever since.

Tony Kelly has too to a lesser extent. Kelly had a bit of a nightmare today. He wasted two balls in the last minute of injury time alone. Instead of calmly working through the field as Clare did for their equaliser at the end of the first game, Kelly just launched it and it went wide. He's a phenomenal player at his best but he's far too inconsistent and Clare don't seem to know how to get the best from him.

Shanagher is only back from a cruciate injury, probably ahead of schedule so if he gets a good winter into his legs and with the likes of Cunningham and Oisin O'Brien to add to the mix then Clare will be no push overs either.

Collins and McGrath seem to have lost their mojo and are hurling at too slow of a pace to compete. Size doesn't seem to bother Shane O'Donnell too much and brushed off Hanbury again yesterday with in close proximity.

Clare still lacking someone in midfield IMO. Kelly needs a horse of a man in beside him if he's playing midfield to do the spade work which Kelly isn't keen on.

Remembering Limerick were third in Munster yet are 70 minutes away from an AI. Still think Galway if they can freshen up and recover will in the next two weeks will have the mark off them. Limerick still a bit green on it at this level.

Minder

Think Hanbury will be targeted by Limerick, thought he was poor yesterday and can be got at.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Milltown Row2

Quote from: johnnycool on August 06, 2018, 09:55:12 AM
Clare had 19 wides to 13 for Galway. That statistic shows the difference between the teams. However something I would look at is why Podge Collins was given 63 minutes to score one point while Shanagher was given only the remainder of the game to make an impact. Shanagher at this point in time looks a much more effective scoring forward. I don't really see what Podge offers to be honest.
I'd rate Aaron Cunningham higher than him too - he's in the US at the moment though.

Podge has been living off past glories for a long time. Everything seemed to come together for him in '13 but he's been a shadow of that ever since.

Tony Kelly has too to a lesser extent. Kelly had a bit of a nightmare today. He wasted two balls in the last minute of injury time alone. Instead of calmly working through the field as Clare did for their equaliser at the end of the first game, Kelly just launched it and it went wide. He's a phenomenal player at his best but he's far too inconsistent and Clare don't seem to know how to get the best from him.

Shanagher is only back from a cruciate injury, probably ahead of schedule so if he gets a good winter into his legs and with the likes of Cunningham and Oisin O'Brien to add to the mix then Clare will be no push overs either.

Collins and McGrath seem to have lost their mojo and are hurling at too slow of a pace to compete. Size doesn't seem to bother Shane O'Donnell too much and brushed off Hanbury again yesterday with in close proximity.

Clare still lacking someone in midfield IMO. Kelly needs a horse of a man in beside him if he's playing midfield to do the spade work which Kelly isn't keen on.

Remembering Limerick were third in Munster yet are 70 minutes away from an AI. Still think Galway if they can freshen up and recover will in the next two weeks will have the mark off them. Limerick still a bit green on it at this level.

Don'y know if two weeks will be enough for the walking wounded in Galway, Canning looks to be carrying a knock and the extra minutes will certainly take it's toll, Galway are letting teams catch them at the end of games and that will hurt them..

Once a team has a bit of momentuem then they are very hard to stop and sticking 5 points without reply wouldnt be difficult for Limerick once Galway go into reverse.. Its going to be a cracking final, tactics will go out the window and it will be end to end, won't be one for the purist's I'd say
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Minder

If it's just knocks and fatigue for Galway two weeks will be fine, a week to come down and a week to get up

seafoid

The new schedule is very hard on players. More matches and less time. Does hurling even need a round robin? It was in response to the Super 8. Did the super 8 work ?  Playing the AIF in mid August is nuts
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

johnnycool

Quote from: seafoid on August 06, 2018, 12:56:47 PM
The new schedule is very hard on players. More matches and less time. Does hurling even need a round robin? It was in response to the Super 8. Did the super 8 work ?  Playing the AIF in mid August is nuts

I'd disagree with most of that.

Players have been crying out for more games and less training. The ratio is now far better in that regard.

AI finals in mid August give club championships an extra two or three weeks of summer time to get played with the likelihood of decent weather and dryer pitches can only be a good thing. Hurling doesn't stop when the IC game comes to an end like Brehony and his ilk think. Start covering the club championships lads of the press. You might find there's an audience out there for it.

Yes, tweak it slightly but what we've seen this summer has been good for hurling in general.

Maybe run the other lower championship games off as precursors to the main events would also give hurling down the ranks a bigger boost on the back of the elite game.

Whether the Super 8 works in football or not is immaterial to hurling where the two round robin championships worked well IMO.

AZOffaly

Quote from: johnnycool on August 06, 2018, 02:29:33 PM

Players have been crying out for more games and less training. The ratio is now far better in that regard.

AI finals in mid August give club championships an extra two or three weeks of summer time to get played with the likelihood of decent weather and dryer pitches can only be a good thing. Hurling doesn't stop when the IC game comes to an end like Brehony and his ilk think. Start covering the club championships lads of the press. You might find there's an audience out there for it.

Yes, tweak it slightly but what we've seen this summer has been good for hurling in general.

Maybe run the other lower championship games off as precursors to the main events would also give hurling down the ranks a bigger boost on the back of the elite game.

Whether the Super 8 works in football or not is immaterial to hurling where the two round robin championships worked well IMO.

Johnny, I think this may be a first on this site, but I agree with *all * of your post. Not most of it, all of it.

The tweak I would insert is a week in the middle of the round robin to ensure all teams have at least one week off. Some teams would have two, which is one of the vagaries of an odd number round robin, but at least if all teams were guaranteed one week off, it would help teams like Tipperary and Waterford who ended up playing 4 weeks on the spin.

seafoid

Quote from: johnnycool on August 06, 2018, 02:29:33 PM

Why do counties not in the final need to hold off club hurling until September anyway?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

imtommygunn

They will need to align with the other counties for the provincial series. Playing a championship off early would mean champions with no meaningful games which would leave them at a disadvantage. Leagues can still play off.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 06, 2018, 07:20:05 PM
They will need to align with the other counties for the provincial series. Playing a championship off early would mean champions with no meaningful games which would leave them at a disadvantage. Leagues can still play off.

Exactly.. clubs who are there or thereabouts peak for championship and Provincial titles, championships are at least a week or two before September this year here in Antrim
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: johnnycool on August 06, 2018, 09:55:12 AM

Shanagher just back from cruciate and playing him at all was high risk.  He got the goal the previous week but did struggle a bit rest of time.  He needs to work on striking off his left.  Being one sided was okay underage because of his sheer size and power.  Skehill left his whole goal open by committing to block, Shanagher should have tipped ball to other side.  He was still desperately unlucky.  Also Shane O'Donnell thought it was gone in and jumped to celebrate, missing his chance of rebound.  That's the breaks though as if it went in I think they would have won pulling up.   Shanagher will be a huge player for Clare going forward.

I was at the game and Podge had a great game is some ways.  His tackling, pressure and link play kept Clare in it during first half.   Score return I agree with.  McGrath since injury has lost pace and confidence.   Time is against him to get it back.  It's a shame that his best days were spent scrabbling around midfield rucks to suit Davy's systems and one man forward lines.   The way Clare play now would really suit McGrath's game.

Midfield, I agree.  For all the bleating about Malone, his presence was missed Sunday, he made a difference when he came on.

Limerick did well against Cork, twice but both games were very open.  Galway will be a lot tighter.  When Limerick met tight marking against Clare in Ennis, they didn't like it.  I hope they can play their game against Galway but they will find it hard I suspect.   Aches and pains should disappear for an All-Ireland final so I don't think that will hold Galway back.

On subject of injuries, Clare team wasn't named until just before throw-in because John Conlon had a bad ankle injury.  After all the talk about Dáithí Burke marking him, Conlon was touch and go.  Only played after injection.

This one will sting Clare players as they had Galway on the rack but couldn't hit that killer blow.  It was similar to Tipp game before Galvin goaled.  An almost psychological fear of going ahead of  a punch-drunk opponent.  That said the Clare team that lost Sunday are streets ahead of 2016 Davy vintage that limped out to Galway in quarter-finals.  So longer term when pain eases, if they can find that extra little bit they will continue to be in the teams coming on of Munster round-robin and will compete well in All-Ireland series.

/Jim.

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: mrdeeds on August 05, 2018, 04:22:47 PM
You can't overcarry on advantage.

They reset the step count at point advantage is given.  In a practical sense, how a ref can watch and decide on all those factors I have no idea.

But on balance I think O'Donell's goal was fair to stand.  Calling it back to give him a free would be rewarding Galway for dragging him back.

/Jim.

Zulu

Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on August 07, 2018, 12:43:43 PM

They reset the step count at point advantage is given.  In a practical sense, how a ref can watch and decide on all those factors I have no idea.

But on balance I think O'Donell's goal was fair to stand.  Calling it back to give him a free would be rewarding Galway for dragging him back.

/Jim.

Sorry where in the rule book does it say you reset the steps when giving advantage? I'm pretty sure that's not the case and I've never heard that before from either refs or on the referee courses I attended.

Minder

Quote from: Zulu on August 07, 2018, 02:17:18 PM
Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on August 07, 2018, 12:43:43 PM

/Jim.

Sorry where in the rule book does it say you reset the steps when giving advantage? I'm pretty sure that's not the case and I've never heard that before from either refs or on the referee courses I attended.

So what is the advantage rule in relation to steps ?