Hurling championship 2018

Started by seafoid, April 25, 2018, 07:46:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/jackie-tyrrell-cork-concede-far-too-much-to-win-an-all-ireland-1.3547298

A sweeper or seventh defender isn't the Cork way. Never was and never will be. Cork are proud and traditional in their mentality and how they approach the beautiful game. Their attitude is: "We are Cork, boy – we'll take you langers on anyway you want". I love that Cork swagger, that honest, open, refreshing confidence in who they are. They always feel they have a chance even when sometimes they clearly don't.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

AZOffaly

Seafoid, I'm not sure that's correct about Cork's attitude. I always get the impression that Cork will do whatever they feel helps them win, rather than be slaves to 'traditional hurling'. John Fenton's ground stroke is a long time ago now. They practically invented the short running game and they play the game a lot differently than say a Tipp or Kilkenny do.

johnnycool

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 29, 2018, 11:40:31 AM
Seafoid, I'm not sure that's correct about Cork's attitude. I always get the impression that Cork will do whatever they feel helps them win, rather than be slaves to 'traditional hurling'. John Fenton's ground stroke is a long time ago now. They practically invented the short running game and they play the game a lot differently than say a Tipp or Kilkenny do.

That's Tyrells quote Seafoid has put up there.

I'd be in agreement with you that Cork will cut their cloth to suit. Expect to see someone deep in front of John Conlon to protect the fullback line, albeit not as obvious as Limerick. Then they'll all filter down the pitch to plug the gaps and attempt to leave a lot of space for their forwards.
Can't see the Clare defence following them and leaving the back door open.
I can see this being an edgy enough game and if Conlon can create or score a goal or two Clare might do it and secure a semi-final spot.

seafoid

Mr Jackie Tee wrote it, AZ.
I think the "we are Cork, boy " is spot on

AZOffaly

Quote from: seafoid on June 29, 2018, 11:56:52 AM

Apologies, didn't realise you were quoting him. I still disagree with it :) But the 'We are Cork, boy' is spot on. They are famous for being very self confident. However that does not mean they won't adapt if they feel they need to, it's just that they know their plan is way better than yours :)

seafoid

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 29, 2018, 12:25:04 PM

Apologies, didn't realise you were quoting him. I still disagree with it :) But the 'We are Cork, boy' is spot on. They are famous for being very self confident. However that does not mean they won't adapt if they feel they need to, it's just that they know their plan is way better than yours :)
Cork have been off the boil since 2005, which is a long time for them , boy.
The strike was poisonous. They never caught up with Cody after losing the 06 final.
Hurling changed and they weren't at the party. 
They are still a work in progress.

seafoid

Tipp being out is still a shock.

@ShaneSaint

Jun 10

Tipp gone by June 10. Really hard to understand how such a talented bunch can underachieve like this. League wasted, constant changing, incoherent game plan, and this is the culmination of it today

AZOffaly

Quote from: seafoid on June 29, 2018, 12:29:10 PM

The strike was poisonous. They never caught up with Cody after losing the 06 final.

Woah there. Are you conflating a whole load of stuff there? I thought Cork won an All Ireland after the strike? Or am I raving? And I think Cork were instrumental in the way hurling changed back in the mid 00's as they took the fight to Kilkenny for a few years with the O'Connors and their running style etc.

The new breed are definitely a work in progress, but I think a lot of what happened Cork was they were too focussed on styles and such, and forgot the basics. There was a period there where Cork's first touch and striking was the poorest out of any of the serious counties.

I just realised you are talking about the second (or third) strike. I was talking about the one in 2002. Sure you couldn't keep track of all their strikes :)

seafoid

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 29, 2018, 12:32:06 PM
Quote from: seafoid on June 29, 2018, 12:29:10 PM

Woah there. Are you conflating a whole load of stuff there? I thought Cork won an All Ireland after the strike? Or am I raving? And I think Cork were instrumental in the way hurling changed back in the mid 00's as they took the fight to Kilkenny for a few years with the O'Connors and their running style etc.

The new breed are definitely a work in progress, but I think a lot of what happened Cork was they were too focussed on styles and such, and forgot the basics. There was a period there where Cork's first touch and striking was the poorest out of any of the serious counties.

I just realised you are talking about the second (or third) strike. I was talking about the one in 2002. Sure you couldn't keep track of all their strikes :)
You couldn't.
I was at the 2006 final. It felt like the end of an era.
Cork were going for the 3 in a row and full of confidence.  The hurling was savage. Both teams giving it everything.
KK were relentless.

manfromdelmonte

Cork have pace and more pace up front
They'll want to use every blade of grass to give their speedsters space to run into.

I actually think their full back line aren't great. The goalie is poor enough on shots

AZOffaly

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on June 29, 2018, 01:20:32 PM
They'll want to use every blade of grass to give their speedsters space to run into.

I actually think their full back line aren't great. The goalie is poor enough on shots

Young Flanagan from Limerick took the Cork full back line apart. Mind you that was after Gillane got sent off, so maybe the thing to do with them is play a 2 man inside line and run the legs off them. Flanagan isn't in the form of his life either, he wasn't outstanding in any of the other games, and was taken off against Tipp U21s last week.

I can't agree with you about Anthony Nash though. I think shot stopping is normally one of his strong points. That reaction save to Bubble's Dwyer's ground stroke v Tipp was sensational.

johnnycool

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 29, 2018, 01:23:56 PM

Young Flanagan from Limerick took the Cork full back line apart. Mind you that was after Gillane got sent off, so maybe the thing to do with them is play a 2 man inside line and run the legs off them. Flanagan isn't in the form of his life either, he wasn't outstanding in any of the other games, and was taken off against Tipp U21s last week.

I can't agree with you about Anthony Nash though. I think shot stopping is normally one of his strong points. That reaction save to Bubble's Dwyer's ground stroke v Tipp was sensational.

In last years Munster final Clare were so preoccupied with the Cork puck out that their half back line got sucked up the field leaving acres in behind killing their fullback line. They didn't do the same this year in Frank Murphy Park, but allowed too many Cork lads a free run through the middle of the pitch to either take a score or pick spaces to play the ball into.
They look to have sorted that out against Limerick where Lynch was well marshalled plus there's more bulk to their half backs who are more imposing and should stop the likes of Kearney and Cooper getting space.

Conlon to the edge of the square could work if Shane O'Donnell feeds off him and Nash may be needed but the shot needs to be aimed at his weak side. I remember Nash when facing a TJ Reid penalty stood well to one side of the goal showing TJ the larger area to his strong side. TJ took the big side and Nash saved it. In open play Nash mightn't have the time to position himself and the Clare forwards need to shoot smarter.

I can see a Clare win but they'll need goals to do it.

Asal Mor

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 29, 2018, 01:23:56 PM

I would say the one weakness in Nash's game is when a lad is running straight in on him, he doesn't come out and smother the shot.
See Johnny Glynns goal in 2015. Very poor from Nash. The ball bounces at the edge of the small square and he's stuck to his line. Donal Og would have thrown his body in front of it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DwmO-I--ueA