Quote from: tbrick18 on July 31, 2023, 11:27:48 AM
Quote from: lenny on July 31, 2023, 11:20:22 AM
1. Beggan
2. McCluskey.  3. Fitzsimmons. 4. T O'Sullivan
5. O'Connell 6. J McCarthy. 7. White
    8. Fenton.  9. Rogers
10. P Clifford.  11. Basquel.  12. Smith
13. Clifford.  14. McGuigan. 15. Costello

Can't see Beggan getting in over Cluxton/Ryan/Lynch tbh.
As much as I'd like to see mcluskey in, 3 for an Semi-finalist probably won't happen.
I could see McManus getting one.
But I'd say you're not too far away in general there.

Mc Carthy of Monaghan will get one.

Very possibly, I think it'll be between him and O'Connell. If there's one from outside the semifinalists it'll be between Enda Smith and D Canavan both of whom had great seasons.

Andy Murnin was the best player outside of the 4 semi finalists. Smith had a great season as well and it would be hard to begrudge him an award though I don't think he'll get it.

A 19 year old rookie easily dealt with Murnin.
Murnin had a great year (whether that is enough to get an All-Star given how the system works is debatable) Trying to deny that is simply madness. One arm wrestle of a match does not ruin a whole season for him.
It was the one on one duals he lost with McEvoy that stood out for me, in Murnin's biggest game of the year. Hard to get an all star after that. I agree he had a good season otherwise, but who of the following does he get in the all star ff line ahead of: Clifford, McGuigan, Costello, Mannion, Basquel, Con, McManus?
I don't remember him losing out on any one-on-one duels against ANYONE all year. The All-Star system would have got him in ahead of some of those players you list if Armagh had have made an AI semi.  Not many of those players you list had to come the field and be a ball-winning option the way Murnin was used this year. A colossus.

Christ you boys over hype him something serious!

AustinPowers

All star selections are very  strange because if Team X won the All Ireland, they usually    get about 8 all stars .  Team Y loses the final and usually get  3 or 4. Yet,  if a kick of a ball  decided the AI , team Y would get 8, team X would get 3 or 4 . Very weird that  a kick of a ball decides  that many awards

Usually semi finalists will share 2 or 3.  With Quarters finalists getting token  nominations to keep their fans  happy.

restorepride

Quote from: Walter Cronc on July 31, 2023, 01:31:09 PM
Quote from: mackers on July 31, 2023, 01:12:22 PM
Quote from: Mario on July 31, 2023, 12:57:24 PM
Quote from: mackers on July 31, 2023, 12:53:05 PM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on July 31, 2023, 12:40:52 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on July 31, 2023, 12:17:22 PM
Quote from: lenny on July 31, 2023, 12:11:31 PM
Quote from: marty34 on July 31, 2023, 11:29:12 AM
1. Beggan
    8. Fenton.  9. Rogers

As much as I'd like to see mcluskey in, 3 for an Semi-finalist probably won't happen.

Very possibly, I think it'll be between him and O'Connell. If there's one from outside the semifinalists it'll be between Enda Smith and D Canavan both of whom had great seasons.

Andy Murnin was the best player outside of the 4 semi finalists. Smith had a great season as well and it would be hard to begrudge him an award though I don't think he'll get it.

Murnin had a great year (whether that is enough to get an All-Star given how the system works is debatable) Trying to deny that is simply madness. One arm wrestle of a match does not ruin a whole season for him.
It was the one on one duals he lost with McEvoy that stood out for me, in Murnin's biggest game of the year. Hard to get an all star after that. I agree he had a good season otherwise, but who of the following does he get in the all star ff line ahead of: Clifford, McGuigan, Costello, Mannion, Basquel, Con, McManus?
I don't remember him losing out on any one-on-one duels against ANYONE all year. The All-Star system would have got him in ahead of some of those players you list if Armagh had have made an AI semi.  Not many of those players you list had to come the field and be a ball-winning option the way Murnin was used this year. A colossus.

Totally - nowhere near an All Star.  Some of his kamakazi leaps seem to lack judgement and co-ordination.  Lucky not to injury himself badly a few times this year.  Bravery no doubt but needs to be more controlled.

mackers

Quote from: Walter Cronc on July 31, 2023, 01:31:09 PM
Quote from: mackers on July 31, 2023, 01:12:22 PM
Quote from: Mario on July 31, 2023, 12:57:24 PM
Quote from: mackers on July 31, 2023, 12:53:05 PM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on July 31, 2023, 12:40:52 PM
1. Beggan
    8. Fenton.  9. Rogers

It's a game of opinions and you Derry boys aren't shy about giving yours.  Not just Armagh people that were giving him rave reviews all year but whatever you're having yourself........
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

trueblue1234

Quote from: yellowcard on July 31, 2023, 12:35:22 PM
Quote from: Mario on July 31, 2023, 12:21:05 PM
1. Beggan
    8. Fenton.  9. Rogers

Murnin had a poor Ulster final

You picked out his worst game of the season but that was a cagey arm wrestle of a match and even Clifford would have struggled with the lack of supply that game. Otherwise he was excellent all season, Canavan didn't play near the level of Murnin over the course of the season.
There was nothing between Canavan and Murnin this year. I'd actually have slightly sided with Canavan tbh (might be the Tyrone glasses but that's my opinion). But either way, neither is going to be within an ass's roar of an all star.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

NotedObserver

Canavan right up there in scores from play in the championship. Both won't get allstars and rightly so

marty34

I think no one outside of the semi-finals and final should get one.

Unless they link it in to the league.

square_ball

Quote from: AustinPowers on July 31, 2023, 01:33:21 PM
All star selections are very  strange because if Team X won the All Ireland, they usually    get about 8 all stars .  Team Y loses the final and usually get  3 or 4. Yet,  if a kick of a ball  decided the AI , team Y would get 8, team X would get 3 or 4 . Very weird that  a kick of a ball decides  that many awards

Usually semi finalists will share 2 or 3.  With Quarters finalists getting token  nominations to keep their fans  happy.

Yeah if Gough had allowed Kerry one more attack, kicked in a Hail Mary and there was a flick on it to the back of the net the whole narrative of who gets what changes.

Not connected to the All Stars but similar. I had to laugh at Steven Poacher on Twitter saying it was a tactical masterclass from Dublin and they won comfortably. Again if Kerry had have got a last minute goal to win the whole narrative changes again. These coaches on Twitter love to make out that they see something us mere mortals just don't understand.

Blowitupref

Quote from: AustinPowers on July 31, 2023, 01:33:21 PM

How journalists select them nowadays. I'd expect around 11 given to the finalists and the rest to the All Ireland semi-final losers.

In the past was more focus on individual performances and how players did in the league and their provincial championship was considered in the overall selection
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

yellowcard

Quote from: marty34 on July 31, 2023, 03:47:21 PM

Unless they link it in to the league.

Given the amount of games in the GAA season we should be moving away from this train of thought. Give it to the players who performed consistently well throughout the season regardless of how their county fared. All Stars are a bit of a nonsense anyway with the lack of positioning now prevalent in gaelic football. A player like Conor McCarthy for instance would not have been considered All Star level if he had kept playing  him in his natural forward position. But because he was re-positioned to half back and ghosted in for a lot of scores he is now considered to be an All Star defender. 

samuel maguire

Rian O'Neill defiently won't be considered now going by the video currently circulating on social media of him at the weekend...

Walter Cronc

Quote from: samuel maguire on July 31, 2023, 04:14:18 PM
Rian O'Neill defiently won't be considered now going by the video currently circulating on social media of him at the weekend...

Fire it up sur!

Rossfan

Quote from: marty34 on July 31, 2023, 03:47:21 PM

They seldom do anyway.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

square_ball

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on July 31, 2023, 04:32:35 PM
Quote from: samuel maguire on July 31, 2023, 04:14:18 PM
Nah, he's not that type of player and indeed it is he who is targeted.

The guards need to be doing more to protect that type of player. Or at least that's what they'll be saying on the GAA social this week anyway.

Wildweasel74

Maybe he and his buddy got twins in the same clothes running round Dublin lol. I have Canavan and, Enda Dolan over Murnin but none will get a all star. Instead of team of the year it should be called team of the last. 8.