All-Stars 2023

Started by Blowitupref, July 18, 2023, 11:55:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Saffrongael on July 30, 2023, 07:47:02 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on July 30, 2023, 07:13:17 PM
Quote from: Champion The Wonder Horse on July 30, 2023, 07:02:59 PM
Rogers and McGuigan are absolute certainties.

McCloskey and McKinless also more than decent shouts.

Sort the rest out among less worthy options.

McCarthy and Clifford have both played themselves out of at least POTY.
Who else was in the running? one of them should still win that award.

Clifford poor in QF & Final and still POTY?

Even when "poor" David Clifford has the ability to create big moments like the goals as was seen in the Quarter final and All Ireland final.  Yesterday when I checked odds it was a two horse race for POTY between McCarthy and Clifford and I doubt the odds will change much after today's final.

Derryman forever

Quote from: Captain Obvious on July 30, 2023, 08:36:53 PM
Quote from: Saffrongael on July 30, 2023, 07:47:02 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on July 30, 2023, 07:13:17 PM
Quote from: Champion The Wonder Horse on July 30, 2023, 07:02:59 PM
Rogers and McGuigan are absolute certainties.

McCloskey and McKinless also more than decent shouts.

Sort the rest out among less worthy options.

McCarthy and Clifford have both played themselves out of at least POTY.
Who else was in the running? one of them should still win that award.

Clifford poor in QF & Final and still POTY?

Even when "poor" David Clifford has the ability to create big moments like the goals as was seen in the Quarter final and All Ireland final.  Yesterday when I checked odds it was a two horse race for POTY between McCarthy and Clifford and I doubt the odds will change much after today's final.

I have no problem with Clifford, but why would mc Carthy be in the running?

tbrick18

Ordhan Lynch has to be I  the reckoning for gk all-star.
At least a nomination.

Has been excellent all year.

BrotherMore6592

Not a chance he's probably up there as one of the worst on the ball when coming out

Good shot stopper and kickouts not bad but he's well behind others in terms of the modern goalkeeper. He doesn't exactly install confidence when he comes out. Derry fans have their hearts in their mouth

JoG2

Quote from: BrotherMore6592 on July 30, 2023, 09:29:37 PM
Not a chance he's probably up there as one of the worst on the ball when coming out

Good shot stopper and kickouts not bad but he's well behind others in terms of the modern goalkeeper. He doesn't exactly install confidence when he comes out. Derry fans have their hearts in their mouth

How many times was Lynch turned over this year considering how often he is on the ball?

Define a modern keeper... Is Cluxton one?

Wildweasel74

Lynch done well this year but his slow gaint coming up the field (unlike McCloskey) and all day trying to line up a shot in the semi wasn't great, fell apart on the kickout at the end. I like to see Derry try out a few new players in the league, one of which is a bck up keeper.

BrotherMore6592

Better keepers than lynch around that's for sure

He wouldn't even be the in the top 3 goalkeepers in ulster never mind AI

mrdeeds

Quote from: BrotherMore6592 on July 30, 2023, 11:06:54 PM
Better keepers than lynch around that's for sure

He wouldn't even be the in the top 3 goalkeepers in ulster never mind AI

He's in the top three keepers this year though.

tbrick18

Quote from: JoG2 on July 30, 2023, 09:42:26 PM
Quote from: BrotherMore6592 on July 30, 2023, 09:29:37 PM

How many times was Lynch turned over this year considering how often he is on the ball?

Define a modern keeper... Is Cluxton one?

Lynch is excellent in the role he is given.
Rarely turned over.
Yes he got caught out a couple of times in the sf and got blocked, but his distribution is top drawer, he's scored from open play in key moments, and he's a fantastic shot stopper.

Not many better keepers imo. Only 2 who I think are better are the 2 on show today.

BrotherMore6592

Morgan
Beggan
Both of the above have been around longer and would be counted as more dependable than lynch,

Debatable - Patton

Rafferty

Ryan and cluxton today

But yes lynch was part of a team that got to the semi final and probably should have reached a final so he is in the spotlight more. Certainly not all star material . At best he'd be 3rd choice behind Cluxton and Ryan

Blowitupref

James McCarthy the Sunday game panel footballer of the year.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

mrdeeds

Quote from: BrotherMore6592 on July 30, 2023, 11:21:10 PM
Morgan
Beggan
Both of the above have been around longer and would be counted as more dependable than lynch,

Debatable - Patton

Rafferty

Ryan and cluxton today

But yes lynch was part of a team that got to the semi final and probably should have reached a final so he is in the spotlight more. Certainly not all star material . At best he'd be 3rd choice behind Cluxton and Ryan

That's all historically not this year though.

BrotherMore6592

Cluxton and Ryan above lynch though ?

tbrick18

Quote from: BrotherMore6592 on July 30, 2023, 11:45:13 PM
Cluxton and Ryan above lynch though ?

Possibly but not definitely
Ryan and Lynch play a similar role, I'd argue over the year Lynch has been better but I haven't seen as much of Ryan.
Cluxton plays a different type of game so difficult to compare.
I'd imagine cluxton will get the all-star.

JoG2

You're having a mare here , the back tracking is of top level modern goalkeeping though  8)