Armagh next steps

Started by bennydorano, July 03, 2023, 10:37:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrotherMore6592

They beat them fair and square and had more desire to go through

Armagh filled the togs with plenty of chances to win it and put Monaghan away

A losers mentality still evident after 9 years of Geezzaaa

balladmaker

Whatever happened to plans for the training centre in Portadown, still on track or stalled?

marty34

Quote from: balladmaker on July 18, 2023, 06:20:47 PM
Whatever happened to plans for the training centre in Portadown, still on track or stalled?

Where do Armagh currently train?

Throw ball

Quote from: marty34 on July 18, 2023, 10:58:52 PM

Where do Armagh currently train?

Callanbridge. Armagh City

tonto1888

Quote from: armaghniac on July 16, 2023, 06:50:39 PM
Quote from: SouthDublinBro on July 16, 2023, 03:47:15 PM
Quote from: illdecide on July 14, 2023, 05:59:07 PM
At the time you be raging Armagh get beat but when you have time to think about it I think most of Armagh ones forget the pool of players we have available to us and the size of our County. Armagh are one of the smallest Counties in Ireland which approx 50% kicks with the other foot and halve that again for females, if anything I believe we punch consistently above our weight.

How is this an excuse when you were beaten by Monaghan?

When did Monaghan last beat Armagh at Gaelic football? They did marginally win a penalty taking competition.

A couple of weeks ago. Don't you remember? Before that 2021 Ulster semi final?

Harold Disgracey

Work is due to start shortly I believe.

naka

Donaghy step down ?
See rumours on the Armagh forum
Any news ?

rrhf

Mickey Harte would do some job with Armagh.

BrotherMore6592

Has geezer signed up for another rattle at the McKenna cup yet

An Watcher

Lol, the most unsuccessful manager in GAA history

bennydorano

Quote from: naka on July 24, 2023, 08:12:50 PM
Donaghy step down ?
See rumours on the Armagh forum
Any news ?
Just read something that he's returning to Basketball for one last season so id say there's legs to the rumour ok.

twohands!!!

Quote from: An Watcher on July 26, 2023, 12:03:05 AM
Lol, the most unsuccessful manager in GAA history

The most successful (at keeping his job) unsuccessful manager in GAA history.

The fact that Armagh didn't get rid of him years ago is a a fairly dammng indictment of the Armagh County Board.

statto

Quote from: BrotherMore6592 on July 25, 2023, 11:56:07 PM
Andy Watters in Irish News reporting that clubs will vote on this.  Could be Kildare all over again for Geezer.  If it is up to the clubs I think will be voted out, but the players would want him to stay. 

ARMAGH clubs will decide whether Kieran McGeeney remains as manager for another season.
The Irish News understands that a meeting of the county's clubs was hosted by the Armagh County Board last Monday night at which a full and frank discussion of the 2023 season took place. The upshot of that meeting was that delegates were asked to return to their clubs and discuss the merits of the current management. They will reconvene (probably within the next fortnight) and vote on whether Mullaghbawn native McGeeney should continue as Orchard county bainisteoir.
With nine seasons behind him, McGeeney is Ireland's longest-serving manager.
The 2002 All-Ireland-winning captain guided Armagh from Division Three to Division One and, despite relegation to the second tier this season, the Orchardmen came agonisingly close to make a definitive Championship breakthrough.
Armagh beat Antrim, Cavan and then Down to reach their first Ulster Championship final since 2008 and took on Anglo-Celt Cup holders Derry at Clones. Despite falling behind to a fortuitous Brendan Rogers goal, Armagh battled back and came within a whisker of winning before the Oak Leafers forced extra-time and then a penalty shootout. With goalkeeper Odhran Lynch outstanding, they won to retain their title.
In the wake of that disappointment, Armagh's form dipped in the subsequent All-Ireland group phase and they scraped past Westmeath and lost to Tyrone before producing arguably the best display of the McGeeney era to beat 2022 All-Ireland finalists Galway in Carrick-on-Shannon.
Armagh progressed to a second All-Ireland quarter-final in succession with that win and their front-foot football against Galway raised hopes that a semi-final was within their grasp. They met Monaghan at Croke Park but lacked the attacking intent they had displayed a fortnight previously and the Farney County prevailed on a penalties – the third Championship shootout in succession that Armagh have lost.
The 2023 season was a tale of what might have been for McGeeney and his Armagh side. There has been criticism of his team's inability to get over the line in big games and of McGeeney's style of play but it is understood that the Orchard county players remain united behind their manager and want him to remain in the role he has held since 2015.
McGeeney is prepared to stay on for another season and the Armagh clubs will decide if that is to be the case.

yellowcard

Quote from: statto on July 27, 2023, 04:15:36 PM
Quote from: BrotherMore6592 on July 25, 2023, 11:56:07 PM
Andy Watters in Irish News reporting that clubs will vote on this.  Could be Kildare all over again.  If it is up to the clubs I think will be voted out, but the players would want him to stay.

I'd agree it could well be a case of deja vu now. Before now I'd thought Geezer would be back in post next season, now I'm not so sure.             

bennydorano

I could see this ending acrimoniously, a lukewarm vote of confidence from the clubs and McGeeney could well say let someone else at it. I really don't see the need for a vote if he's one year left but i assume it's to try and get a ringing endorsement, I'm not so sure it'll be forthcoming.