Galway v Mayo 11/06/17

Started by Duine Eile, May 21, 2017, 11:17:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DJGaliv

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_experiment#2007_onwards

For the most part it's the two year rookie contract and home.

Funny reading through it every lad is compared to tadhg Kennelly in Aussie media when they go over. Obviously Hanley and Kennelly the exception more than the rule.

macdanger2

Quote from: GaillimhIarthair on May 26, 2017, 05:00:07 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on May 26, 2017, 03:45:39 PM
What was the story with TT switching?? Was there something that lead to it or did he just move jobs?
I think John Tobin decided to get of him and a few of the older lads when he took over the Galway Team around 1990 - Tierney was already teaching in Westport for a few years at that point and he transferred to the local club and also threw his lot in with Mayo - he would have been around 29/30 at the time I guess?

Ah right, no real controversy about it so

seafoid

Quote from: Jinxy on May 24, 2017, 11:39:50 AM
I've a feeling Galway will be more desperate dan than fancy dan for this game.
That sounds like the mood in Meath.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

seafoid

The gap between Galway and Mayo has been coming down in recent years and even turned positive last year . Mayo should be the better team but they have been on the go a good while. 

Cunny Funt

Quote from: seafoid on May 26, 2017, 06:29:01 PM
The gap between Galway and Mayo has been coming down in recent years and even turned positive last year . Mayo should be the better team but they have been on the go a good while.
Debatable. It was a one off result last year and Mayo ended up having a better and longer championship. Lets be honest here, Mayo haven't played outside Div one since the nineties while Galway haven't played in Div one since 2011. Mayo have been winning All Ireland quarter finals,semi finals regularly in Croke park over the last number of years while Galway haven't won All Ireland series match in Croke park since 2001?

Last bit i think most would agree with but the lads on the go for a while has a few more years left in them yet.

seafoid

Was it in 2010 that Mayo lost to Longford? Teams can make sudden progress like they did the following year. I think Galway are on the right track. Not as good as Mayo yet but on an upward curve whereas Mayo are ? The big question is what Galway learnt from Tipp last year.
Also I think 8 of the Mayo team against Sligo played in the 2012 final. Most of the Donegal team have retired. If Mayo had won Sam how many of the 2012 lads would be playing?

twohands!!!

Quote from: Cunny Funt on May 26, 2017, 06:42:07 PM
Debatable. It was a one off result last year and Mayo ended up having a better and longer championship. Lets be honest here, Mayo haven't played outside Div one since the nineties while Galway haven't played in Div one since 2011. Mayo have been winning All Ireland quarter finals,semi finals regularly in Croke park over the last number of years while Galway haven't won All Ireland series match in Croke park since 2001?

Last bit i think most would agree with but the lads on the go for a while has a few more years left in them yet.

Mayo were brutal in the game against Galway last year and even then there was only one score in it at the end. Galway's other 3 performances in the championship were the drawn game against Roscommon (both sides were abject), the replay win against Roscommon (Roscommon continued to be abject) and the battering by Tipperary. You can say that Galway did get promotion from Division 2 this year but I think the phrase "best of a bad bunch" has a fair bit of relevance here.

Syferus

Listening to some here you'd wonder what the point of playing the sport at all is.

Crete Boom

Quote from: twohands!!! on May 26, 2017, 06:55:55 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on May 26, 2017, 06:42:07 PM

Mayo were brutal in the game against Galway last year and even then there was only one score in it at the end. Galway's other 3 performances in the championship were the drawn game against Roscommon (both sides were abject), the replay win against Roscommon (Roscommon continued to be abject) and the battering by Tipperary. You can say that Galway did get promotion from Division 2 this year but I think the phrase "best of a bad bunch" has a fair bit of relevance here.

A bit harsh on Galway there twohands ( you'll be popular in Mayo though!! ;D) they still had to take advantage with how brutal we were in the semi and when they Rossies gave them a second chance they put them away in some style!! I think the Tipp game showed up the weakness in the rigidity of Kevin Walsh's defensive system on a wide pitch and the one worry is he used a similar system in the league final this year but it did get them over the hump of winning a senior game in Croker. They also seem to have added to the team this year.

seafoid

Why was D2 this year deemed to be so poor? Ros and Cavan were promoted in the previous 2 years. Hardly galacticos. Kildare are a decent team. Meath and Cork need a bit more work.

moysider

Quote from: Syferus on May 26, 2017, 08:11:41 PM
Listening to some here you'd wonder what the point of playing the sport at all is.

'Kerching'

And the Aidan O Shea stuff too even if you seem to love it. It wasn't even intentional but I've nearly cut this forum out altogether. Not that I'll be missed or anything. Regrets maybe I wasted too much time here.

Manning18

Quote from: blast05 on May 25, 2017, 10:54:57 PM
Quotea foul out the field

Seriously dude, you know in your heart of hearts that that was not a foul.
Terrible call by the ref.
That's up there as one of the hardest fairest shoulders i have ever seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQZemthWLLA&feature=youtu.be

One of the fairest shoulders youve seen?? A fair shoulder isn't hitting an open player before he's even collected the ball, or shouldering to the chest. What's the difference between that, and jumping in shouldering a midfielder while he's in the air contesting a kickout? Neither player has collected the ball. In a more psychical game with massive hits, American Football, Boyles hit would be called hitting a defenseless receiver and would warrant a huge fine. It was a scummy hit against a 20 year old debutant that would lay him out if he got him fairly these days

blast05

Quote from: Manning18 on May 29, 2017, 11:25:45 AM

One of the fairest shoulders youve seen?? A fair shoulder isn't hitting an open player before he's even collected the ball, or shouldering to the chest. What's the difference between that, and jumping in shouldering a midfielder while he's in the air contesting a kickout? Neither player has collected the ball. In a more psychical game with massive hits, American Football, Boyles hit would be called hitting a defenseless receiver and would warrant a huge fine. It was a scummy hit against a 20 year old debutant that would lay him out if he got him fairly these days

Watch from 12 seconds (slow motion clip) .... now tell me, honestly, does the Galway player have the ball before Boyle hits him (yes ... he has his 2 hands out in front of him with the ball before Boyle hits him from what i can see) and is it into his shoulder or chest (shoulder from what i can see).
One of us needs glasses....

From the Bunker

Quote from: blast05 on May 29, 2017, 01:20:13 PM

Watch from 12 seconds (slow motion clip) .... now tell me, honestly, does the Galway player have the ball before Boyle hits him (yes ... he has his 2 hands out in front of him with the ball before Boyle hits him from what i can see) and is it into his shoulder or chest (shoulder from what i can see).

in fairness if you watch it in slow motion. The galway player has the ball and it is shoulder to shoulder. And it matter little or nothing if either of us are correct!

Zulu

Quote from: From the Bunker on May 29, 2017, 01:41:49 PM
Quote from: blast05 on May 29, 2017, 01:20:13 PM

in fairness if you watch it in slow motion. The galway player has the ball and it is shoulder to shoulder. And it matter little or nothing if either of us are correct!

Picture perfect shoulder. The odd thing is a shoulder to the chest is not a free in hurling yet a perfect shoulder that rattles a man is nearly always a free in football. Not sure why that is.