Galway v Mayo 11/06/17

Started by Duine Eile, May 21, 2017, 11:17:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crete Boom

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on May 23, 2017, 04:02:33 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on May 23, 2017, 03:19:50 PM
Galway need to find a capable goalkeeper,full back and centre half back before they can start challenging for a senior AI again at the moment they are making progress with Walsh's blanket defence but individuals in that defence can be exploited as Tipp proved last summer. Some good underage defenders coming through but a lot of promising underage players struggle to make the step up to senior level.

Every time I see Daithí Burke having another stormer for the hurlers a small part of me wishes we weren't a dual county, I think he'd be a top class half back for the footballers if available.

If Molloy , McDaid and Seán Andy come through as expected Galway will be challenging for Sam soon enough!!

magpie seanie

I think Galway will win this. I don't think Mayo will be as motivated. I think Rockford is doing the same as he did last year, aiming for Aug/Sep. 

Lar Naparka

Quote from: magpie seanie on May 24, 2017, 10:30:17 AM
I think Galway will win this. I don't think Mayo will be as motivated. I think Rockford is doing the same as he did last year, aiming for Aug/Sep.
He was damn lucky that Mayo survived their passage through the qualifiers which is always more complicated than the full frontal approach. Unless he's extremely confident that Mayo will get through safely where every game is a knock out, he'd be best advised to put the heron chokers in their place for once and for all time! ;D
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Jinxy

I've a feeling Galway will be more desperate dan than fancy dan for this game.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Crete Boom

Quote from: Jinxy on May 24, 2017, 11:39:50 AM
I've a feeling Galway will be more desperate dan than fancy dan for this game.

Would all the other fancy Dans not team up with our fancy Dan in solidarity and give desperate Dan a hiding though??

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Blowitupref on May 22, 2017, 04:52:12 PM
I know he won All Star last year but who would Harrison replace in the Mayo back six of Barrett,Cafferky,Higgins,Boyle,Keegan,Durcan which is arguably their strongest defence.

AOS replacing his younger brother will probably be the only change to the starting 15 from yesterday.

Galway should be wary of the media taking them up. Many Galway supporters have the opinion they are better this year but I'm not sure what this is based on? The division 2 they got promoted out of was weaker than 2016 IMO and it remains to be seen how Galway will now fare in the much higher level of division one football.

Mayo to win for me because they will have a better goalkeeper starting this game a better defence,stronger midfield and D O Connor will be fit to start this game unlike last year

I'd imagine the majority of pundits will predict a Mayo win, there's bound to be one or two of them who will predict a Galway win but thats hardly a huge surprise given Galway are 7/4.

Galway are in a better place then they were this time 12 months ago, there's certainly a lot more options on the bench too. The majority of Galway fans are realistic about where this team is at and are certainly not getting carried away, its well documented Galway have plenty of issues in that backline which won't be resolved this summer.

As for the match Mayo are favourites and rightly so, they'll have more motivation for a match within the province then they've had in a long time given last years result.

Captain Obvious

I'd say his aim was August and September but through the front door.
The truth is Mayos average league form was brought into the Galway game last year and then got ideal qualifer draws and avoided a division one teams until the All Ireland final.

If Mayo play like they did last Sunday Galway will beat them again however last years defeat will have Mayo more motivated than ever to win this game and in Donegal,Tyrone and Kerry they have already beaten three teams this year that are better than Galway.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Captain Obvious on May 24, 2017, 06:00:20 PM
The truth is Mayos average league form was brought into the Galway game last year and then got ideal qualifer draws and avoided a division one teams until the All Ireland final.

If Mayo play like they did last Sunday Galway will beat them again however last years defeat will have Mayo more motivated than ever to win this game and in Donegal,Tyrone and Kerry they have already beaten three teams this year that are better than Galway.

Yeah but if they were playing Galway last week or a properly organised Sligo they would have lost.

Farrandeelin

I predicted Galway to win Connacht. Nothing has changed my opinion yet anyway.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Syferus

Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 24, 2017, 07:27:05 PM
I predicted Galway to win Connacht. Nothing has changed my opinion yet anyway.

You'll be right, at minor.

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: Syferus on May 22, 2017, 08:45:19 PM
The only 'great backs' Mayo have are Keegan and Higgins. Boyle tries hard but the legs are going and he's a bit wild now. Durcan looks like one for the future. Mayo's FB line is there for the taking imho.

Comer is exactly the sort of bull-strong FF that would give Caffreky/Keane/Vaughan nightmares.

In fairness Syf you've put your finger on it there. None of the Mayo backs are likely to have a night's sleep between now and June 11 worrying about Comer.

https://youtu.be/MQZemthWLLA

Tubberman

Quote from: magpie seanie on May 24, 2017, 07:00:38 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on May 24, 2017, 06:00:20 PM

Yeah but if they were playing Galway last week or a properly organised Sligo they would have lost.

Yeah but they weren't and they knew that.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Syferus

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on May 25, 2017, 09:30:26 PM
Quote from: Syferus on May 22, 2017, 08:45:19 PM
The only 'great backs' Mayo have are Keegan and Higgins. Boyle tries hard but the legs are going and he's a bit wild now. Durcan looks like one for the future. Mayo's FB line is there for the taking imho.

Comer is exactly the sort of bull-strong FF that would give Caffreky/Keane/Vaughan nightmares.

In fairness Syf you've put your finger on it there. None of the Mayo backs are likely to have a night's sleep between now and June 11 worrying about Comer.

https://youtu.be/MQZemthWLLA

You're using a foul out the field by a HB to defend your FB line from criticism they're weak against big, strong FFs - whaa?

I'd love to see Colm Boyle try to win a high ball deep in Mayo's FB line against Comer. I could do with a good laugh. Ye let Star extend his career by three or four seasons by being brutal at FB - probably the dirtiest deed a Mayo team has ever inflicted on gaelic football.

blast05

Quotea foul out the field

Seriously dude, you know in your heart of hearts that that was not a foul.
Terrible call by the ref.
That's up there as one of the hardest fairest shoulders i have ever seen. Up there with Tom Cunniffe a few years ago. Or the greatest one i ever saw (can any other Mayo folk remember this one!) ... Noel Connelly versus Galway in league winter 1995 - he nearly broke 6' 4" Fergal Gavin in front of the stand in McHale Park

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: blast05 on May 25, 2017, 10:54:57 PM
Quotea foul out the field

Seriously dude, you know in your heart of hearts that that was not a foul.
Terrible call by the ref.
That's up there as one of the hardest fairest shoulders i have ever seen. Up there with Tom Cunniffe a few years ago. Or the greatest one i ever saw (can any other Mayo folk remember this one!) ... Noel Connelly versus Galway in league winter 1995 - he nearly broke 6' 4" Fergal Gavin in front of the stand in McHale Park
Damien Burke fairly emptied McDonald in Salthill one year and Tomas Tierney shipping a bit of punishment in McHale Park in the early 90s come to mind!!