Derry v Kerry AISF Sunday 16th July 4pm

Started by JoG2, July 03, 2023, 10:30:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: yellowcard on July 16, 2023, 10:37:31 PM
Looking at the replay of the Kerry keeper clattering into McGuigan and he knew exactly what he was doing. Another faux pas by McQuillan.

Yep, as cynical a piece of taking a player out as you'll see -- the Ciarraí buachaillí know well what they're at.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

marty34

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 16, 2023, 08:31:25 PM
Quote from: marty34 on July 16, 2023, 08:26:57 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on July 16, 2023, 08:16:31 PM
Quote from: passedit on July 16, 2023, 07:33:26 PM
Nothing about the systematic targeting of Mc Guigan? Also soft yellow for Mc Caigue and Kerry full back gets a tick after fouling all day? Mc Quillan is a firms man. Looked bad for Mc Kinless at the end. Stonewall red for O Shea, not even booked.

Mccaigue was more for persistent fouling I thought. Did O'Shea not just flick the ball away and then get an almighty boot?

Kerry were clearly targeting mcguigan but that will never be highlighted.

That was not like yesterday. McKinless fists one or two of those runs over the bar game over. Also again at a key moment the refs decision went with the big team. O'brien's was not a foul. That was a bad decision at a very key time that had a massive impact on that game.

All that being said Derry need a stronger squad. Mcgrogan being injured didn't help. (And tbh they didn't show it much on replay but i thought that was a dirty enough act too).

Hope dubs win the final...

O'Shea's foul at the end stopped Mc Kinless hitting the quick free.

He knew what he was at.

As cynical as you'll see.

Of course and you'd do exactly the same thing if playing!

As a player we were conceding stupid goals, just ones when the ball was in and around the house, as a corner back it's frustrating, but we decided to just stop the play by whatever means, those daft goals stopped and we won more games, is it cynical or smart?

I didn't say it was a red card.

I'm just saying Kerry are cynical, when the media etc. make them out as whiter than white.

tyssam5

Good game engineered by two Tyrone coaches. A few missed from Derry about 55-65mins cost them.

If an Ulster team put the hits on Clifford that Kerry put on McGuigan we'd never heard the end of it. Derry need to learn that you can't soft with those Kerry animals.

tyssam5

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 16, 2023, 05:50:27 PM
Quote from: AustinPowers on July 16, 2023, 05:48:37 PM
Quote from: Aaron Boone on July 16, 2023, 05:30:31 PM
Joe has been given his orders.

Mc quillan is the  most infuriating referee  I've ever seen .  I'm all for having respect for official s , but by Christ  he makes it so hard  for people to do that.  Those two very soft frees  effectively won Kerry the game . I ain't from Derry but I am absolutely raging . I dunno how Derry folk are feeling

Is a soft free a free or not?

Depends on how well known the forward or county is - McQuillan wasn't too bad at all, but I don't think Derry got those 'soft frees' as quickly.

tyssam5

Quote from: rrhf on July 16, 2023, 07:21:52 PM
Thoroughly enjoyed the game. Felt Derry bottled it with the couple of wides at crucial times. Felt 2 Kerry tackles should have been straight reds and lead to serious looking injuries, really enjoyed the battle between the full forwards and their men.. mc Faul brought sosmething they really didn't have last year and I feel Derry still need at least another player or 2 to be serious contenders so meenagh and Co will have a busy winter looking for another mc faul for next year...

They never showed a replay of the first Derry injury after he scored a point. Was it a late hit?

clarshack

Quote from: tyssam5 on July 16, 2023, 10:58:38 PM
Quote from: rrhf on July 16, 2023, 07:21:52 PM
Thoroughly enjoyed the game. Felt Derry bottled it with the couple of wides at crucial times. Felt 2 Kerry tackles should have been straight reds and lead to serious looking injuries, really enjoyed the battle between the full forwards and their men.. mc Faul brought sosmething they really didn't have last year and I feel Derry still need at least another player or 2 to be serious contenders so meenagh and Co will have a busy winter looking for another mc faul for next year...

They never showed a replay of the first Derry injury after he scored a point. Was it a late hit?

I thought he was taken out but would need to see it again.

Mario

With everything that happened it's easy to forget but McGrogan injury was a massive loss for Derry as well

redzone

Rodgers was brilliant, love watching him play. Glass was poor I thought and when Kerry pushed up on the kickouts in the last 10 they won them. Derry had chances but couldn't take them and just are not good enough to win Sam

tyssam5

Quote from: Mario on July 16, 2023, 11:06:19 PM
With everything that happened it's easy to forget but McGrogan injury was a massive loss for Derry as well

Easy to forget because the panel never even mentioned it.

Derryman forever

Quote from: tyssam5 on July 16, 2023, 11:11:09 PM
Quote from: Mario on July 16, 2023, 11:06:19 PM

Easy to forget because the panel never even mentioned it.

It was a mysterious injury.
Forgotten in the blink of an eye.
And TSG analysts didn't notice at all.
Padraic's replacement immediately coughed up 2 scores.

But no commentator anywhere has even noticed.

rrhf

Quote from: NotedObserver on July 16, 2023, 08:00:35 PM
What was craic with Clifford letting mccloskey go in the first half? Kerry fairly poor throughout and still don. Derry have several players that rarely touch the ball which probably isn't enough to win an AI
Bang on.. including some of their subs. As they break away from Gallagher's system things are improving... might be a better team next year

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: tbrick18 on July 16, 2023, 10:26:19 PM
Quote from: passedit on July 16, 2023, 07:33:26 PM
Nothing about the systematic targeting of Mc Guigan? Also soft yellow for Mc Caigue and Kerry full back gets a tick after fouling all day? Mc Quillan is a firms man. Looked bad for Mc Kinless at the end. Stonewall red for O Shea, not even booked.

Couldn't agree more.
Mcgrogan hit with a late dangerous sliding tackle as he scored early and had to go off injured immediately weakening our bench for the later stages.
Mcguigan was half killed.
How that charge by the keeper wasn't at least a free I do not know.
Mckinless block while trying to hit a quick free at the end was so dangerous and should have been a red.
Mcquillan gave frees against derry which he didn't give against kerry the while game.
All that said, we should still have won. Some poor decision making in last 10.
Better team lost today and I think kerry will account for Dublin easily enough.

Gutted as we definitely left it behind today.

Mckinless, Rogers, mcloskey, mcguigan, mcfaul, mcevoy I thought were immense. Better than anything kerry had with the exception of Clifford who is at another level.

Very proud of achievements this year and hopefully with another minor all Ireland this year the future is bright.

Agree with all that, except the bolded!

Kerry's defence wouldn't inspire confidence when you run directly down the middle, as Derry showed today.   I'd be confident of a goal or two if Eoin Murch or Jack Mc can exploit those spaces.   

screenexile

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on July 16, 2023, 11:18:12 PM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on July 16, 2023, 10:40:30 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on July 16, 2023, 10:37:31 PM
Looking at the replay of the Kerry keeper clattering into McGuigan and he knew exactly what he was doing. Another faux pas by McQuillan.

Yep, as cynical a piece of taking a player out as you'll see -- the Ciarraí buachaillí know well what they're at.
What would you do him for?
Not a thing wrong with it for me. He can't stop gravity bringing him back to the ground.

Note: he jumped to collect the ball, not into the challenge.

He jumped and then turned mid air to get his hip into McGuigans face when he saw McGuigan coming... it was 100% a free the other way and a yellow card!

Jell 0 Biafra

Absolutely.   

I wonder if he had that decision on his mind when, a few minutes later,  he gave Clifford a yellow for a perfectly executed shoulder.

Wildweasel74

Dirtiest bunch of pricks we played in years, and we played everybody past 4yrs.Understand why Tyrone detest them so much. Hope Dublin beat them out of the field.