The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

five points

Quote from: LCohen on October 09, 2020, 04:07:15 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 09, 2020, 01:03:36 PM
Is this the most toxic thread on the board? I know we have a few ex pats living there and that's fine, but I fail to see the immediate interests of locals here on a country that really plays no large part in our political lives.

It is pretty toxic.

I am very definitely a liberal lefty. I can still see that some on my side of the debate go too far. I can also see that some are driven to it by Trump and his supporters who adopt the same tactics.

Some no doubt do it because they know it will get a reaction.

But genuinely I believe I can stand over my contention that the standard of debate and behaviour is infinitely worse on the right. That is the way the evidence stacks up anyhow

This board, as far as politics are concerned, is by and large dominated by the left, though. And it's still toxic.  :(

Taylor

Quote from: five points on October 09, 2020, 04:40:42 PM
Is this the most toxic thread on the board? I know we have a few ex pats living there and that's fine, but I fail to see the immediate interests of locals here on a country that really plays no large part in our political lives.

It is pretty toxic.

I am very definitely a liberal lefty. I can still see that some on my side of the debate go too far. I can also see that some are driven to it by Trump and his supporters who adopt the same tactics.

But genuinely I believe I can stand over my contention that the standard of debate and behaviour is infinitely worse on the right. That is the way the evidence stacks up anyhow

This board, as far as politics are concerned, is by and large dominated by the left, though. And it's still toxic.  :(

Online, Trump supporters are as toxic as it gets however I have to agree - on here I still be shocked how vociferous the anti Trump supporters are.
Leads to a shitshow in the country thats for sure

Gmac

It is pretty toxic.

all name calling and personal abuse comes from the more liberal side of the argument especially on this thread.

RedHand88

Quote from: Gmac on October 09, 2020, 05:23:28 PM

It is pretty toxic.

all name calling and personal abuse comes from the more liberal side of the argument especially on this thread.

Bear in mind I was called a nazi and that 88 in my username referred to "heil hitler". 

Theres no point even engaging with people like that. The thread is unbelievably toxic.

J70

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 09, 2020, 02:14:54 PM
Quote from: J70 on October 09, 2020, 02:01:34 PM

So don't read it.

There's quite a few of us do live in the states, and like it or not, what happens in the US has repercussions well beyond its shores.

Don't read it could be applied for a lot of comments on other threads on the boards, but hey we have a look and a say anyway.. I've addressed the many ex pats that are on here but the toxic nature (as there is with a bit of your response ;)) of the thread is what i was hinting at, so if your are not going to give me a reason that's fine.

Also not everyone's lives depend on whos in the Whitehouse, really

The US is the most dominant country in the western world, both geopolitically and culturally.

I didn't say everyone's lives "depend" on who is US president. Certainly influenced and affected by it though. Sometimes more, sometimes less. Right now, I don't see how anyone could deny that the presence of Trump in the White House has given encouragement to the far right in many countries.

As for this thread being "toxic", I'd have to see your definition for what that means.

APM

Quote from: Gmac on October 09, 2020, 05:23:28 PM

It is pretty toxic.

This thread is like listening to Nolan or Talkback.  It's about themmuns.  The language used by adversaries in the US debate between liberals and conservatives is pure tribalism and no different to the local discussion between themmuns and usuns.  Some of the stuff on here is embarrassing. 

It's actually weird to see Irish people investing in this tribalism when it could be argued that it isn't their fight.  But I suppose it is if you are living there.  But this talk of Libtards and Rethuglicans, which I have seen on this thread is depressing and its been going on for years. It's like monkey see, monkey do! It's now permeating Irish and UK politics. 

At the extremes, one side is as bad as the other! Because at the extremes, people are burned by their own side for taking a more centrist position, even if that position would have been seen as heavily left or right in a historical context. 

We are seeing this tribalism or balkanisation of global politics and this thread is only a microcosm of it.  People are slipping (or are being manipulated) into taking increasingly extreme views on a whole range of issues, either to the left or right, whether it be on social, economic, gender or health issues. They are increasingly living in echo bubbles where they just want their own views validated and they are increasingly threatened by counter-opinions and the language of their response, is increasingly ugly and less reasoned.  People's perception of where the centre is, has moved significantly, because of these echo bubbles and this, among other factors, leads to disturbing threads like this.

Some of the principal contributors on this thread could do with taking time away from the computer and TV.  If for six months, the same time went into reading reading decent literature, philosophy and political science, they would come back with a whole new world view.  Perhaps a whole lot more nuanced and a lot less black and white. 

Instead, they are reading the wrong stuff right now and many won't have the wit to realise that I'm talking about them and not themmuns.   

Milltown Row2

Quote from: J70 on October 09, 2020, 06:02:50 PM

So don't read it.

There's quite a few of us do live in the states, and like it or not, what happens in the US has repercussions well beyond its shores.

Don't read it could be applied for a lot of comments on other threads on the boards, but hey we have a look and a say anyway.. I've addressed the many ex pats that are on here but the toxic nature (as there is with a bit of your response ;)) of the thread is what i was hinting at, so if your are not going to give me a reason that's fine.

As for this thread being "toxic", I'd have to see your definition for what that means.

toxic behaviour  represents an inability to feel genuine understanding and compassion for the other person.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Rossfan

Are the resident  right wing Trumpites on this forum upset over the FBI foiling the terrorist plot of their fellow Trumpites in Michigan?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

GiveItToTheShooters

Quote from: J70 on October 09, 2020, 06:02:50 PM

So don't read it.

The US is the most dominant country in the western world, both geopolitically and culturally.

I didn't say everyone's lives "depend" on who is US president. Certainly influenced and affected by it though. Sometimes more, sometimes less. Right now, I don't see how anyone could deny that the presence of Trump in the White House has given encouragement to the far right in many countries.

Lol.

I agree with MR2, he is spot on. I couldn't give a bollocks whether Trump is president again or not, because it will have little or no impact on me or anyone else in ireland.
Toxic to the extent that irish people will literally insult each other on this thread on a daily basis because of their opinions on the politics of a country on the other side of the world, that has fk all to do with our own. Who cares. Its hilarious and a bit embarrassing really.

Taylor

Quote from: Rossfan on October 09, 2020, 06:22:33 PM
Are the resident  right wing Trumpites on this forum upset over the FBI foiling the terrorist plot of their fellow Trumpites in Michigan?

;D ;D ;D

Thats right Ross - proving many of the last posts correct.

You dont even have to support Trump in this thread to get insulted.

If you support no one/remain neutral or even try to see someones else point of view then anti Trump supporters see you as a viable target

Gmac

the ringleader of that bunch of idiots is not a trump supporter and is on tape insulting Trump so maybe trump was going to be their next victim or maybe they don't like politicians, dont believe the first version of things you hear from the USA at the moment a lot of subversion going on .

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Gmac on October 09, 2020, 06:39:10 PM
the ringleader of that bunch of idiots is not a trump supporter and is on tape insulting Trump so maybe trump was going to be their next victim or maybe they don't like politicians, dont believe the first version of things you hear from the USA at the moment a lot of subversion going on .

I challenge you to condemn the terrorists who plotted to kidnap and kill a democratically elected governor. Go to it, Gmac.

Rudi

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on October 09, 2020, 07:23:19 PM

I challenge you to condemn the terrorists who plotted to kidnap and kill a democratically elected governor. Go to it, Gmac.

An anonymous poster asking another anonymous poster on an Irish gaa site to condemn a terrorist attack in the US state of Michigan, Jaysus wept. Some lads really have lost the run of themselves.
Yout spot on MR2.

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: Rudi on October 09, 2020, 07:40:23 PM

An anonymous poster asking another anonymous poster on an Irish gaa site to condemn a terrorist attack in the US state of Michigan, Jaysus wept. Some lads really have lost the run of themselves.
Yout spot on MR2.

Both lads live in California

Rudi

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on October 09, 2020, 07:42:45 PM
Quote from: Rudi on October 09, 2020, 07:40:23 PM

Yout spot on MR2.

Both lads live in California

Ok thanks, that changes things.