Gaels amalgamations

Started by The Monument Road, December 02, 2016, 01:18:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the sash

While i do agree that amalgamations are the way forward in the laois senior football championship. Think there should be a limit or so on the areas that are amalgamating. I mean clonaslee is a good half hour n the rest away from vicarstown. These ones don't make sense to me.

les Antiques

Amalgamations make sense in some ways if the clubs are somewhat nearby each . Clonaslee and Annanough does not make since . I'd love to know the logic behind this one .. I was at the match last year when they tore lumps out of each and the game had to be stopped . So what's stopping Graigue joining up with Emo just for hearsay .?! There has to be certain rules and stipulations to how clubs amalgamate .

Don Draper

I don't begrudge Donal Miller senior football at this stage of his career. He's been incredibly loyal to Annanough, and has been blackguarded by the system. That its come to an amalgamation with Clonaslee to give him senior football is an indictment of Laois GAA. It shouldn't have had to be like this. But it is, and people shouldn't be trying to put rules in place to stop it. Perhaps rules to make this thing easier would be more apt.

I wish him and the rest all the best.

les Antiques

Well if the sole reason for this amalgamation is to give Donal Miller senior football it's a sad indictment of how the club scene is run in Laois . I concur that he  deserves to be playing Senior football and has showed tremendous loyalty to his club which sadly has lacked with some players in this county particualary neighbouring clubs to Annanough . But there are many other lads in Donals position also who should be looked after and they system in place has undoubtedly prevented this .
It's just a pity this didn't happen for Miller 8-9 years ago but alas better late than ever . The rules don't make this easy .

Don Draper

Quote from: les Antiques on January 18, 2017, 01:53:01 PM
Well if the sole reason for this amalgamation is to give Donal Miller senior football it's a sad indictment of how the club scene is run in Laois . I concur that he  deserves to be playing Senior football and has showed tremendous loyalty to his club which sadly has lacked with some players in this county particualary neighbouring clubs to Annanough . But there are many other lads in Donals position also who should be looked after and they system in place has undoubtedly prevented this .
It's just a pity this didn't happen for Miller 8-9 years ago but alas better late than ever . The rules don't make this easy .
The club scene is in a sad state. Thats pretty obvious. Annanough lost a good one to their neighbours in recent years, I don't blame them for trying to give an outlet to prevent it happening again. But it shouldn't be up to them or other clubs to do this, there should be some outlet there. Sadly there isnt.

les Antiques

The reality is that clubs are been forced to act whereas in ideal or somewhat ideal circumstances the county board should grab the  bull by the horns and create a more accessible policy for clubs and players to achieve and or play at the level they deserve .
Anyway best of luck to Miller always had time for him ! Pure as they say

O moore parklife

Best of luck to all the teams who go down this road. One of the many negatives I see with this is the club's who try and go alone senior heath o dempseys portarlington etc and could get beaten by these hybrid teams and find themselves in a relegation situation because they backed there own club players. Plenty of players from other counties stick with there teams and try and get them up to a higher level. It's a vicious cycle

Uisce

Quote from: O moore parklife on January 18, 2017, 02:16:30 PM
Best of luck to all the teams who go down this road. One of the many negatives I see with this is the club's who try and go alone senior heath o dempseys portarlington etc and could get beaten by these hybrid teams and find themselves in a relegation situation because they backed there own club players. Plenty of players from other counties stick with there teams and try and get them up to a higher level. It's a vicious cycle

To be fair, on the teams you mentioned, O'Dempseys were relegated 2 years ago without any of these 'hybrid' teams. The Heath were desperate to become a 'hybrid' team with Timahoe and Port should have enough resources in their town to not become involved in a relegation fight.

SCFC

Quote from: Ballyroan Abbey on January 17, 2017, 09:01:04 PM
Was wondering if camross would be picked up alright, they seem to have a few at minor level well capable of playing at a higher level and although camross are now a junior a team the likelyhood of them training or putting much of an effort into the football is minimal
I'd say it's just young Tyrell. Doubt if anyone else from Camross would go about playing senior football.

Keyser Söze

Clonaslee-Annanough should not be allowed, I hear Ballinakill & Slieve Bloom is also going ahead. Have they dropped Slieve Margy then?
Neither of these involve "connected" clubs and I don't know how this fits in with the GAA ethos.
Baffled to be honest.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

clonadmad

I'm hearing that Ballinakill are taking in Slieve Margey and Ratheniska Juvenile  Hurlers and that Spink and Ratheniska are amalgamating at Juvenile Football level.

When's the deadline for all these amalgamations?

SpeculativeEffort

I used to think certain amalgamations like Ballyfin and Mountmellick at juvenile level etc were a bit unseemly as they are in different parishes. Well 2017 is proving that same parish, neighbouring clubs etc means nothing when it comes to joining up. The county board loosened rules to allow players access to higher level. Its a good idea but needs regulation. TG4 used to have a Western season on saturday nights well Laois GAA are running their own cowboys and indians season for 2017. A pure farce.

Keyser Söze

Quote from: clonadmad on January 18, 2017, 07:52:48 PM
I'm hearing that Ballinakill are taking in Slieve Margey and Ratheniska Juvenile  Hurlers and that Spink and Ratheniska are amalgamating at Juvenile Football level.

When's the deadline for all these amalgamations?

They better call it soon or the County Secretary will end up in St Fintan's trying to sort out fixture and competition clashes.
O' Neills might do well out of this!

Keyser Söze

Quote from: SpeculativeEffort on January 18, 2017, 07:57:29 PM
I used to think certain amalgamations like Ballyfin and Mountmellick at juvenile level etc were a bit unseemly as they are in different parishes. Well 2017 is proving that same parish, neighbouring clubs etc means nothing when it comes to joining up. The county board loosened rules to allow players access to higher level. Its a good idea but needs regulation. TG4 used to have a Western season on saturday nights well Laois GAA are running their own cowboys and indians season for 2017. A pure farce.

I believe that CCC has the right to reject any proposed "merger" that it feels is not appropriate.

clonadmad

Quote from: Keyser Söze on January 18, 2017, 08:19:58 PM
Quote from: SpeculativeEffort on January 18, 2017, 07:57:29 PM

I believe that CCC has the right to reject any proposed "merger" that it feels is not appropriate.

I presume this can be appealed as well.

No doubt there will some fun with regrading all juvenile amalgamations also,I expect to see the A grades packed for the coming year