Dublin V Donegal

Started by Gareth, June 28, 2018, 07:15:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

omagh_gael

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 15, 2018, 08:12:25 AM
Quote from: redzone on July 15, 2018, 07:50:53 AM
Quote from: Kuwabatake Sanjuro on July 14, 2018, 10:56:27 PM
A diktat to referees to work to rule when teams are taking the piss like that would help. Every time Kilkenny got the ball in that period he took a minimum 6 steps. Most players hit 5 steps without getting called up which is fair enough as it would destroy the game and a referee has to employ common sense but when the piss is taken like that something has to be done.
Not sure if anyone else noticed it but scully took 8 steps for his first goal. Big turning point

I did but over carrying is epidemic across both codes by all teams, I would be aggrieved over the penalty the ref give advantage for and then didn't come back to. Scandalous!

Referee bottled it in front of the hill, the benefits of playing at home include those type of decisions.

I think the advantage was for the late shoulder into the man who played it in towards Brennan (?) rather then the *foul* for the penalty.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: omagh_gael on July 15, 2018, 09:49:33 AM
A diktat to referees to work to rule when teams are taking the piss like that would help. Every time Kilkenny got the ball in that period he took a minimum 6 steps. Most players hit 5 steps without getting called up which is fair enough as it would destroy the game and a referee has to employ common sense but when the piss is taken like that something has to be done.
Not sure if anyone else noticed it but scully took 8 steps for his first goal. Big turning point

I did but over carrying is epidemic across both codes by all teams, I would be aggrieved over the penalty the ref give advantage for and then didn't come back to. Scandalous!

Referee bottled it in front of the hill, the benefits of playing at home include those type of decisions.

I think the advantage was for the late shoulder into the man who played it in towards Brennan (?) rather then the *foul* for the penalty.

Actually looking at the replay contact was just outside to so a penalty would have been harsh, pity we will never find out what the advantage was for.
#newbridgeornowhere

inthrough

Quote from: tonto1888 on July 15, 2018, 09:35:10 AM
Quote from: sligoman2 on July 14, 2018, 10:50:32 PM
Very disappointing to see Dublin play that shtye for the last 10 mins.   I'm getting g fed up with football, time to bring in some changes before the entire entertainment aspect disappears...

More disappointing from Donegal not trying to press them I would say

hadn't No issue with it, Dublin were playing keep ball to conserve energy for a tough game in seven days & Donegal hadn't the energy left at the end of a hard 70 minutes to go chasing round Croke Park after them on a warm evening for exactly the same reason.

This was a league game with nothing decided one way or the other, Donegal's target in the the Super 8's is to beat Roscommon & Tyrone while avoiding getting hammered against Dublin.

Gael85

Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 15, 2018, 07:55:10 AM
Brian Howard man of the match?

I would have said that too. Great engine and great fielder of the ball. Still only 21 and will hopefully keep progressing.

omagh_gael

What are is Murchen? Looks like he could still be playing in the Feile.

Gael85

Murchan is 22.

longballin

Quote from: inthrough on July 15, 2018, 10:05:07 AM
Quote from: tonto1888 on July 15, 2018, 09:35:10 AM
Quote from: sligoman2 on July 14, 2018, 10:50:32 PM
Very disappointing to see Dublin play that shtye for the last 10 mins.   I'm getting g fed up with football, time to bring in some changes before the entire entertainment aspect disappears...

More disappointing from Donegal not trying to press them I would say

hadn't No issue with it, Dublin were playing keep ball to conserve energy for a tough game in seven days & Donegal hadn't the energy left at the end of a hard 70 minutes to go chasing round Croke Park after them on a warm evening for exactly the same reason.

This was a league game with nothing decided one way or the other, Donegal's target in the the Super 8's is to beat Roscommon & Tyrone while avoiding getting hammered against Dublin.

and people pay to watch that.... football is couped

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: shawshank on July 15, 2018, 08:55:37 AM
I can't understand the criticism of Dublin. They are winning the game, the tactic for me was as plain as the nose on your face, keep the ball in the middle and defensive half and draw the defensive team who need the ball to win out and create holes in their defence to attack. Donegal didn't come looking the ball, they did the exact same thing as Tyrone did in the semi last year, could've changed or wouldn't, so we all blame Dublin. A question if that had of been Kerry, do you think they would have sat back in their defensive shape and refused to press full tilt up the pitch on Dublin, not a chance in hell. Ulster football still is trapped in a negative mindset, Donegal who have without doubt developed their attacking game, like Tyrone don't seem to grasp that if your behind sitting in a defensive formation waiting for the opposition to be stupid enough to attack in numbers and loose the ball, you will get what Dublin served everytime from a quality team like Dublin. I fully applaud Dublin, it's Donegal who didn't go for the game

+1
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

yellowcard

Thought Howard was MOTN myself. Fenton in the second half was excellent also but few other Dublin players really excelled. Whoever picked it must have just looked at Scullys 2 goals. I thought Scully done okay but he can be loose with his passes at times and doesn't come close to Paul Flynn of a few years back or Connolly. Not entirely convinced by him.

J70

Quote from: shawshank on July 15, 2018, 08:55:37 AM
I can't understand the criticism of Dublin. They are winning the game, the tactic for me was as plain as the nose on your face, keep the ball in the middle and defensive half and draw the defensive team who need the ball to win out and create holes in their defence to attack. Donegal didn't come looking the ball, they did the exact same thing as Tyrone did in the semi last year, could've changed or wouldn't, so we all blame Dublin. A question if that had of been Kerry, do you think they would have sat back in their defensive shape and refused to press full tilt up the pitch on Dublin, not a chance in hell. Ulster football still is trapped in a negative mindset, Donegal who have without doubt developed their attacking game, like Tyrone don't seem to grasp that if your behind sitting in a defensive formation waiting for the opposition to be stupid enough to attack in numbers and loose the ball, you will get what Dublin served everytime from a quality team like Dublin. I fully applaud Dublin, it's Donegal who didn't go for the game

Ive no issues with what the Dubs did either. We have done it ourselves in matches in recent years, albeit not to THAT extent. Kerry also did it to us in the closing stages of the 2014 final. Like then, I think fatigue may have played a factor yesterday, but teams should push up on the side throwing it around and either force them back, squeezing the space or make them move it longer. You're losing by four points with five minutes left. There's no point hoping for a slip up - you have to make it happen.

I thought Stephen McBrearty made a mistake in not taking an easy point at the start of injury time - bringing it back to three might have made the Dubs a wee bit more nervous about the keep- ball tactics, but hopefully we will learn from it.

Hound

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 15, 2018, 10:01:01 AM
Quote from: omagh_gael on July 15, 2018, 09:49:33 AM

Actually looking at the replay contact was just outside to so a penalty would have been harsh, pity we will never find out what the advantage was for.
The advantage was definitely for the hit on Murphy earlier. Ref's hand went up there. Not sure that was a free as it was a shoulder. Maybe a tad late but I thought it was harsh. McGrath was definitely fouled, high challenge, but outside the box and ref seemed to let that go. Murphy scored immediately afterwards anyway so didnt matter in the end.

Not sure where people are getting the 8 steps for Scully. Watched it again and it was 5 steps then shoot. Shot on the 6th. Techncially one too many, but it certainly double the allowed steps. Scully wasn't the only one who scored a goal this weekend while taking 1 or 2 steps too many.

From the Bunker

Good solid home win for Dublin. Always had Donegal at arms length. Dublin won the game running the subs bench, not getting injuries, not getting cards and slowing the game down for the last 15 minutes.

The 7pm start is tough on Donegal supporters.

Jez what time did the Donegal supporter get home last night at?

1am?

The expense of travel?

A serious disrespect to Provincial champions!

Hound

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 15, 2018, 03:17:36 PM
Good solid home win for Dublin. Always had Donegal at arms length. Dublin won the game running the subs bench, not getting injuries, not getting cards and slowing the game down for the last 15 minutes.

1am?

The expense of travel?

And same for any Tyrone and Roscommon supporters that stayed on for the second game, and many did.
Dublin playing in Omagh next week at 7pm too. Saturday games should be 3.30pm and 5.30pm or thereabouts.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Hound on July 15, 2018, 07:07:37 PM

1am?

The expense of travel?

And same for any Tyrone and Roscommon supporters that stayed on for the second game, and many did.
Dublin playing in Omagh next week at 7pm too. Saturday games should be 3.30pm and 5.30pm or thereabouts.

Did any of these supporters wait on? I'd presume if they did they were staying the night?

In fairness the Rossies are not as far away!

shantygael

1am?

The expense of travel?

As a dub supporter living in Derry I got home around 1am after a few pints in fagans to let the match traffic ease up. Didn't bother me the 7pm throw in, better than a Sunday hands down. Handier next week for me with game being in Omagh.
you've only had enough to drink when you cant hold onto the ground