Dublin V Donegal

Started by Gareth, June 28, 2018, 07:15:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gareth

Why has Dublin two home ties in the Super 8's & how do you come to the conclusion that this is Fair to the other Teams in the same Group?

tonto1888

McBrearty being out takes away any chance Donegal have of winning I reckon

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Gareth on June 28, 2018, 07:15:10 AM
Why has Dublin two home ties in the Super 8's & how do you come to the conclusion that this is Fair to the other Teams in the same Group?

Well according to Alan Brogan Dublin are very hard done by as their never able to train at Croker so 2 home game probably evens itself out.

Rossfan

Quote from: Gareth on June 28, 2018, 07:15:10 AM

Riail 6.28 sa Treoir Oifigiúil.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Gareth

inthrough

Jinxy

I think Joe Molloy came up with a good compromise yesterday evening on Off The Ball.
If you are in a group with Dublin, you have the option of playing them in Croke Park or another venue of your choice, which would probably be Clones for Donegal.
I think it should be Donegal's decision and it might not be the no-brainer some people think it is.
If they did choose Clones in that scenario, then they have no game in Croke Park during the Super 8s.
I think a lot of people are confused about the Super 8s.
It's one game at home, one game away, and one game in Croke Park.
For EVERYONE.
So, if you are in the Galway/Kerry group, you don't play any of your Croke Park games against Dublin.
Don't think this is as big an issue as people are making out, although I still think Donegal should have a choice.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Jinxy on June 28, 2018, 10:20:03 AM
I think Joe Molloy came up with a good compromise yesterday evening on Off The Ball.
If you are in a group with Dublin, you have the option of playing them in Croke Park or another venue of your choice, which would probably be Clones for Donegal.
I think it should be Donegal's decision and it might not be the no-brainer some people think it is.
If they did choose Clones in that scenario, then they have no game in Croke Park during the Super 8s.
For EVERYONE.
So, if you are in the Galway/Kerry group, you don't play any of your Croke Park games against Dublin.
Don't think this is as big an issue as people are making out, although I still think Donegal should have a choice.

If you are swinging towards they would chose CP, I would beg to differ.

To become an inter-county footballer,  you need more than talent, you need attitude and a will to win. If you present them 2 options and one of those options gives up a better chance of winning, like the Kildare footballers and Newbridge, I have no doubt in my mind they would choose Clones.

The attraction of CP has run it's course and Donegal would see themselves above "the day out in Croke Park, all footballers want to play there" brigrade. They have just won an Ulster, they now want an All-ireland and will choose the best opportunity to realise that.
#newbridgeornowhere

Jinxy

Yeah, but with a young up and coming team do you play Dublin in Croke Park when you can afford to lose to them and maybe learn a bit about them and yourselves from the experience?
Otherwise, the only other time you could play them there is the final.
I'm not saying they WOULD pick Croke Park, but if it's up to them where they play, then there's no problem.

Hound

Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 28, 2018, 10:34:25 AM
For EVERYONE.

To become an inter-county footballer,  you need more than talent, you need attitude and a will to win. If you present them 2 options and one of those options gives up a better chance of winning, like the Kildare footballers and Newbridge, I have no doubt in my mind they would choose Clones.

The attraction of CP has run it's course and Donegal would see themselves above "the day out in Croke Park, all footballers want to play there" brigrade. They have just won an Ulster, they now want an All-ireland and will choose the best opportunity to realise that.
I gave (almost) the very same idea as Molloy in a post yesterday.
Although, one important difference, Donegal choose Croke Park - Yes or No. But if No, then it's CCCC not Donegal that choose the venue. It's the "Croke Park game", not the "Donegal game". So CCCC will choose whatever non-Croke Park venue will gross the biggest receipts. In the case of Donegal-Dublin, that may well be Clones. But the likes of Limerick or Thurles might be the choice for others.

I agree that Donegal would most likely choose non-Croke Park, but they should have the choice. I remember when the qualifiers were first introduced, it looked like Roscommon would not get a Croker game despite winning Connacht and there was uproar. 

Rossfan

We played Galway in Castlebar in the Qtr Final that year.
Donegal don't have a choice where they play Dublin at present (6.28) -
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Jinxy on June 28, 2018, 10:41:13 AM
Yeah, but with a young up and coming team do you play Dublin in Croke Park when you can afford to lose to them and maybe learn a bit about them and yourselves from the experience?
Otherwise, the only other time you could play them there is the final.
I'm not saying they WOULD pick Croke Park, but if it's up to them where they play, then there's no problem.

I don't think you can marry development in the heat of championship, you want to win, beat Dublin in Clones, you'd fancy beating them in CP. Lose to Dublin in CP once, mentally that will be suppressive..

Swings and roundabouts but in terms of fairness it should be a choice.

Btw, I think Donegal are too open for Dublin, could be a big defeat, the Ulster Championship is very ordinary and will not be good prep for the blue machine.
#newbridgeornowhere

Hound

If Dublin "did a Kildare" and chose Parnell Park as their home venue for the final Super 8 game (as the hurlers chose for their match with Kilkenny in Leinster group this year), would there still be uproar about Croke Park being used to host matches between provincial champions?

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Hound on June 28, 2018, 10:45:34 AM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 28, 2018, 10:34:25 AM
For EVERYONE.

I gave (almost) the very same idea as Molloy in a post yesterday.
Although, one important difference, Donegal choose Croke Park - Yes or No. But if No, then it's CCCC not Donegal that choose the venue. It's the "Croke Park game", not the "Donegal game". So CCCC will choose whatever non-Croke Park venue will gross the biggest receipts. In the case of Donegal-Dublin, that may well be Clones. But the likes of Limerick or Thurles might be the choice for others.

I agree that Donegal would most likely choose non-Croke Park, but they should have the choice. I remember when the qualifiers were first introduced, it looked like Roscommon would not get a Croker game despite winning Connacht and there was uproar.

CP was in it's pomp. Roscommon's mentality has evolved since then.
#newbridgeornowhere

Jinxy

The non-Croke Park option should be the ground that makes the most sense geographically and capacity-wise.
Realistically, given that this is only an issue when Dublin are involved, that's Clones, The Gaelic Grounds and Thurles.