Galway v Antrim NHL

Started by milltown row, February 13, 2007, 03:36:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GaillimhIarthair

As you requested milltown -

A Ryan - new to the team
D Joyce - solid defender over the past few years
S Kavanagh - has revolved between 3 & 6 over the past few years, not very consistent up to now
F Moore - didn't feature under Conor Hayes' reign, not sure if this is his best position
D Forde - centre half forward last year, interesting switch
J Lee - an outstanding minor (we have loads !!!) winner a few years back, this his best position
D Collins - was superb 2 years ago and poor last year, well capable of leading by example when in form

Galway should be chomping at the bit for this one.  Might be closer than most people think as I'm sure Loughnane is running the hole of the Galway lads this time of year and legs will be heavy !

milltown row

cheers, GaillimhIarthair. there has been no word on the training Ger has put in with the squad, but coming on and saying he will be disappointed not to win the all ireland is strong words

mouview

Not entirely true to state that Moore didn't play under Hayes, he did until '04, then opted out. Biggest surprise IMHO is the non-inclusion of Diarmuid Cloonan at FB, when you consider that Loughnane is trying to steel up the Galway squad. On the other hand he has included both Broderick (hopefully a Galway manager will at last recognise his ability) and Hayes in the FF line. Will be a lot of interest in seeing how Lee plays at CHB, while Eoin Lynch gets a chance to translate good club form into county appearances. The bench is starting to look strong now as well with guys like Greg Kennedy, Tony Og (might be best place for him), Ger Mahon (needs to improve), John Culkin, Alan Kerins, Niall Healy, Ger Farragher and Kerril Wade on standby. A large crowd will surely be in Salthill on Sunday to see the glorious dawning of a new era in Galway hurling!

BottleOfStout

Quote from: theskull1 on February 16, 2007, 02:05:20 PM
And while were on the subject of full backs Syd, what about Oran Scullion ? Do you know if he is going to join the panel at some stage?

Do not know if he will join the panel.  He tends to travel a lot and may not be able to commit.  He was on panel and had a few games a couple of years ago but really did not cut it then

BottleOfStout

Quote from: theskull1 on February 16, 2007, 01:56:53 PM
Johnny Campbell is just not a number 6. It's not a snipe at the man, I'm was never a number 6 either. He works better on the wing.

I would not have anything personal against him either as I do not know him, but he is simply not good enough for county level, whether no. 5, 6 or 7

Syd The Sailor

I dont think Scullion would cut it at inter county level, i dont think his hurling ability is up to it. I would play Mickey Mc Cambridge at full back as we have enough half backs and the need is greater at full back i think.
"I coulda been a contender.....i could've been somebody"

GalwayBayBoy

Syd The Sailor

slow corner back

If correct that score is appalling

Baile an tuaigh

Just goes to show how limited Antrim really are. Its going to be another long Season for them. They are clearly out of their depth at this level. The gap between the first rate and secound rate teams in Hurling is massive.

Syd The Sailor

If the score has right we are as far behind, or further, the big teams down south as ever. Be interesting to see what the managers put this down to, Sambo was always ultra critical of beatings like this under Cahill & Jingos management.

GalwayBayBoy

Yeah that's the final score.

The Truth

So much for the dawning of a new era under Sambo & Woody.........I wonder what spin will be put on it by management
"We serve neither King nor Kaiser"

Blue Boy

RTE said it was 3-23 to 0-12???

Anyone hear the Cork Offaly result?

slow corner back

Syd, under jingos management the only heavy beating they got was against limerick when they froze badly. Other than that the national league form was excellent. Loosing by this much is a return to the "dont try in the league" era of Dinny