Started by orangeman, July 13, 2009, 01:04:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

Quote from: longrunsthefox on July 14, 2009, 05:30:27 PM
Quote from: orangeman on July 14, 2009, 04:04:45 PM
Quote from: longrunsthefox on July 14, 2009, 04:01:26 PM
Is this game on TV live?

Aye RTE

Orangeman -you have lifted my spirits on this 12th week.

It goes without saying that I love the 12th !  ;) :D

Reillers

Biran Gavin is the ref apparently..ffs, give me strength.

heffo

Quote from: Reillers on July 14, 2009, 05:52:55 PM

He's a good ref - best thing all round is for Donal Og to apologise for the earful he gave him a couple of years ago and behave himself.

Reillers

The team were training up in Mallow tonight, and thankfully both Ben and Gardiner took part which is great to see. Hopefully both will be fully fit for the match.
No Cork team announced yet, it usually is by now, wonder what that's about. Anyway, hopefully it'll be the one most of us in Cork are hopeing for, not the one we all expect to see.

Cullinane has, like it's been said all ready, done in his cruciate, pity, from a Galway point of view he was probably going to end up picking up Ben which would have been a great match up. It's desperate news about Cullinane though, wish him a full and quick recovery.

stevetharlear

Quote from: heffo on July 14, 2009, 06:39:15 PM

He's a good ref - best thing all round is for Donal Og to apologise for the earful he gave him a couple of years ago and behave himself.
Gavin would want to apologise to the whole of Cork for his performance that day. He might as well have put the ball over the bar himself for the equalising point.

As for the match this weekend, a lot will depend on selections for Cork. Walsh needs to go for this game, if that means dropping underperforming legends then so be it. The time for reputation and sentiment is gone. I predict Cork to win by 2, finishing the game again with 14 men.

heffo

Quote from: stevetharlear on July 15, 2009, 07:55:33 PM

Gavin would want to apologise to the whole of Cork for his performance that day. He might as well have put the ball over the bar himself for the equalising point.

Mr Siptu fell on the ball - free in - no question.

Reillers

As for the match this weekend, a lot will depend on selections for Cork. Walsh needs to go for this game, if that means dropping underperforming legends then so be it. The time for reputation and sentiment is gone. I predict Cork to win by 2, finishing the game again with 14 men.

Not to mention he did (well tried to anyway) do the same thing the year before, Cork v Waterford in the semi final in 06, we were up a point, there were seconds left, and he gave Waterford a free in for nothing, at all, and when he blew up for the free, he acted like he was blowing for the end of the game like he should have. The only reason Cork won the match was because Donal Og stuck up the hurley and thankfully stopped it going over the bar, and then the whistle should have went straight away he then took an age to blow up, waiting and waiting and waiting.

Twice in two years he had to insist that he wasn't playing for a draw.

Not to mention that apparently he wasnt considered for IC duty last year due to failing a fitness test, he's then handed one of the games of the season to ref.

And Heffo it wasn't the fact that he gave the free in for it alone that annoyed people no end, it was the fact that more then once in the game when the same situation occured he just threw in the ball, no questions asked, not even considered giving a free in.

seafoid

Quote from: Reillers on July 14, 2009, 11:35:33 PM
The team were training up in Mallow tonight, and thankfully both Ben and Gardiner took part which is great to see. Hopefully both will be fully fit for the match.
No Cork team announced yet, it usually is by now, wonder what that's about. Anyway, hopefully it'll be the one most of us in Cork are hopeing for, not the one we all expect to see.

You are not an estate agent, by any chance, Reillers? You do that kind of a job on the Cork hurlers.  Marvellous and sought after hurling team, magificently finished, fully centrally heated throughout, delightful period goalkeeper, definitely a team of note for a quick sale you won't be disappointed.  

Reillers

FFS, apparently Shane Murphy (which I had heard earlier but thought, hoped it was nothing) is a serious doubt for the weekend, while Shane O Neill will apparently be man marking Joe Canning..what a waste. Should be someone like Brian Murphy who would annoy the living God out of Canning, he's one of the best defenders in the country and is incredibly street wise, he would hound him out the gate.

heffo

Quote from: Reillers on July 15, 2009, 09:25:19 PM

Not to mention he did (well tried to anyway) do the same thing the year before, Cork v Waterford in the semi final in 06, we were up a point, there were seconds left, and he gave Waterford a free in for nothing, at all, and when he blew up for the free, he acted like he was blowing for the end of the game like he should have. The only reason Cork won the match was because Donal Og stuck up the hurley and thankfully stopped it going over the bar, and then the whistle should have went straight away he then took an age to blow up, waiting and waiting and waiting.

Twice in two years he had to insist that he wasn't playing for a draw.

Not to mention that apparently he wasnt considered for IC duty last year due to failing a fitness test, he's then handed one of the games of the season to ref.

And Heffo it wasn't the fact that he gave the free in for it alone that annoyed people no end, it was the fact that more then once in the game when the same situation occured he just threw in the ball, no questions asked, not even considered giving a free in.

Well all of that not-withstanding Reillers, are you prepared to put it all behind you and give him the benefit of the doubt?

orangeman

Quote from: Reillers on July 15, 2009, 09:56:42 PM
FFS, apparently Shane Murphy (which I had heard earlier but thought, hoped it was nothing) is a serious doubt for the weekend, while Shane O Neill will apparently be man marking Joe Canning..what a waste. Should be someone like Brian Murphy who would annoy the living God out of Canning, he's one of the best defender in the country and is incredibly street wise, who would hound him out the gate.

Joe Canning would take a fair bit of annoying but you might be right. The Galway FB gave Joe plenty to think about and was soon shifted to right half.

johnneycool

Ah sure Ben and Jerry got plenty back from Gavin when he failed to give frees againt them when playing for Newton a few years back in an AI club semi final against our lads, their feckin keeper near decapitated our corner forward and the hoor played on only to give an easy free for Ben to tap over a few seconds later to take the lead in the dying seconds so I'll not be letting any Cork persecution complex override my own thank you.  >:(

Cullinane will be a huge loss and no replacement readily springs to mind but maybe the Galway lads are more knowledgeable but you'd hope McIntyre doesn't make a dozen positional changes to find a solution as a settled team is the reason they're improving.
Defensively they're going quite well but Clare didn't exactly test them too much but now Lee has been able to command his position less ball is getting in and Kavanagh is doing well apart from a missed lift which cost a goal even if the game was over. Even if Kavanagh doen't clear a ball on saturday evening, he should just spoil the bejaysus out of Aiske, prevent any catching rather than worry about catching himself. Midfield wise they need to be more precise in their delivery into the forwards especially with only the two men in the fullforward line. Donnellan will have his work cut out against Curran and if he can get 1-2 off him I'll be surprised, still takes the odd wild shot which may be better put into the fullforward line. Smith improved from the KK outing and will be kept on as mobility in the middle third is paramount against Cork in particular. Joe has struggled to get into games as the quality in at times hasn't been good, not so sure that the 2 man fullforward line suits him as he needs people feeding off him and that just hasn't happened, but he's still trying his best and doing the donkey work which everyone needs to do IMO.

Cork, are Cork, they may not deemed to be the power that they used to be but no one is writing them off just yet a they've got the hurlers who know how to win tight games even if some are struggling for form. Their defenders know how to defend and that might sound stupid but some of the Waterford defenders in particular don't know how to and lack that bit of savvy in front of their own goals. The Cork lads rarely make big errors in front of their own posts and if you get your score you deserve it.

Hard one to call as form wise you'd say Galway but I hate to say it but I think Cork have the self belief to get them through. Nothing personal gainst Cork there Reillers, i just like to see someone beat the big three.

Galway will be hoping to win, Cork will be expecting to win and therein lies the difference and it was something i was told that by an auld lad from Connemara when at a Munster final a good few years ago

stevetharlear

Quote from: heffo on July 15, 2009, 09:11:25 PM

Mr Siptu fell on the ball - free in - no question.

I'd have another look at it. Thought Dessie Farrell was Mr Siptu?

cicfada

Cork team for Saturday:

1. Donal Óg Cusack 2. Shane O'Neill 3. Eoin Cadogan
4. Shane Murphy 5. John Gardiner 6. Ronan Curran
7. Seán Óg Ó hAilpín 8. Tom Kenny 9. Jerry O'Connor
10. Ben O'Connor 11. Pa Cronin 12.Timmy McCarthy 13. Kieran Murphy
14. Aisake Ó hAilpín 15. Patrick Horgan

cicfada

and the Galway team:
Callinan
Moore
Kavanagh