Return of the Cannings?

Started by GalwayBayBoy, January 10, 2007, 12:34:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

its me again

wot happened over the stamping incident not up to speed on this 1 ?

AZOffaly

The younger Canning, Joe, got an awful doing by all accounts in the Galway county final against Loughrea. Even by Galway club standards, it was pretty severe apparently. There was a photo in a few papers the week following, after Portumna had complained, which showed Canning lying spreadeagled, after one of the many belts he got, on the ground, while a boot was travelling downwards in a stamping motion onto his face, which had a face guard.

Unfortunately it seems as if the face guard broke when he was stamped on, and he ended up getting stitches as the metal grill cut into his face.

Some of the Galway lads can give more exact details, but that's what I remember, and I hasten to add I wasn't at the game in question.

mouview

Real shame IF Ollie calls it a day. Undoubtedly the best defender in hurling over the past decade. Even though it looked as if he had lost a bit of pace over the past year or two it would be a real pity if Galway won an AI and he not to be part of it.

GalwayBayBoy

Quoteterrible about ollie- just to mi-louth about joe-that's all a smokescreen-i've ruled galway out already the reality is the galway county board caused this mess by allowing a young man to be stamped in the face and allowing the perpretrator away with it.

It is a
Quoteterrible thing they allowed to happen, and not to punish the offender. Unreal.

Lads as has been said on here before there is no concrete evidence available to punish the offender. The officials didn't see it and it's not visible on the recording of the match. All the county board had to go on was heresay and conjecture and that isn't enough to hand a ban to someone let alone making sure they had the right person in the first place. You can't hand out punishments on the word of people in the stands or people on the sidelines.

GalwayBayBoy

Canning calls it quits

Ollie Canning Galway
31 January 2007

Much decorated Galway hurler Ollie Canning has finally called time on his inter-county career. A three times All-Star, the Portumna clubman has decided to quit the top level because he has lost his enthusiasm for playing inter-county hurling.

He has scotched any notion that his retirement was prompted by the controversy which raged over his club's SHC final meeting last year with Loughrea.

"Associating my retirement with the county final of last year is wide of the mark and I refuse to entertain this suggestion," Canning declared.

"I have played for many years with Galway and have enjoyed the journey. I am grateful for the friends I have made, the people I have been involved with, both players and management, and the many ups and downs that I have experienced in my career.

"Sadly, my enthusiasm for the game at inter-county level has dropped considerably. I feel that if there are doubts in my mind whether to return or not, this really brings into question my desire to continue.

"Bearing in mind the huge sacrifices that are required in the modern game, I would not be happy returning to the squad fearing my commitment may fall short of what is required.

"I have been involved for a long time and maybe the consistent training and competition has finally caught up with me."

AZOffaly

I understand what you are saying GBB, but that photo of the stamp was pretty graphic. I know it was just a foot, but surely they could have idenfied the stamper?

GalwayBayBoy

Anyway a real pity to see Ollie gone as he was arguably the best corner-back of recent times. His form had dipped a bit over the past year but he still had a year or two left in him I think. Certainly Eoin Kelly will be glad to see the back of him.

Bud Wiser

QuoteThat is one of the oddest posts I've ever read here Bud.

Was my post that odd now???????

youbetterbelieveit

Homepage| Counties | Search | Message Board | Results 
Interesting insight on the Cannings episode, i will be wondering what hurling clubs in America will be getting the cash out and trying to lure joe to play for them in the summer. If his travels take him that direction!

Loughnane explains Cannings' absence
14 February 2007

Galway hurling supremo Ger Loughnane has explained the reasons offered to him by Ollie and Joe Canning for not linking up with the Tribesmen this year.

Loughnane says that for Ollie's part at least the controversial county final last year was an episode that helped make him decide to call it quits on the intercounty front.

"The Cannings were very dissatisfied, not alone with what went on the field, but what action went on afterwards and that was the biggest killer for them," Loughnane opined.

"Ollie had made up his mind to retire before that, but this was the thing that pushed him over the edge.

"I talked to Ollie a good few times and found him very intelligent and articulate, but found him with no desire to play for Galway this year.

"He was so hurt by what happened in that investigation that he had no heart to go back and play hurling for Galway. When he hasn't got the heart for it then there's no point in him going back."

Meanwhile Loughnane explained that younger brother Joe intends to take a summer out this year and spend time travelling.

"He told me that this is the only year that he'll do a bit of travelling and have a life outside of hurling because the chances are from next year on that he'll be involved with Galway and he might be for the next ten or twelve years."

Croí na hÉireann

Seen the "tackle" on the news last night and while the camera is a fair distance off and you can't actually see the boot coming in context with the helmet it is clear for all to see that the Loughrea player in the white helmet runs towards Joe Canning who was up ended on the ground and his body movement after is consistent with someone who has just stood on something, similar movement to what de wimin do with them "step up, step down" exercises... Outragous that your man got away with that, should have been banned for a year.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

aontroim abu

can anyone post the picture from the paper?