Casement Park in line for major overhaul - 40,000 all seater Stadium.

Started by Joxer, October 06, 2010, 02:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

Yup, cut their losses. Build a smaller stadium.

Stop wasting time and millions of pounds. Get it feckin' built.

Maroon Manc

How much are the GAA & the Britsh taxpayer going to contribute towards the project?

RadioGAAGAA

Its not just cut the GAA losses, where do the fools that advocate this spending think the govt money is coming from?

A fukking magic money tree in Westminster?

Boris Johnson is not going to hand it over in one hand without taking a lot of it back in the other hand.

Folk need to fukking get real. Would you rather the money wasted on a white elephant at Casement, or put into the RVH?
i usse an speelchekor

Evil Genius

Quote from: screenexile on February 14, 2020, 10:55:50 AM
Quote from: ck on February 14, 2020, 10:54:03 AM
Excuse my ignorance but what, precisely, is the delay on Casement getting built? I know there were planning problems and objections from residents but how long does it take to resolve and/or revise plans?? This delay is nothing short of an utter disgrace and shocking!

Stalemate usually comes from incompetence. Is that the problem here?

No Stormont was a big part of it.
Who exactly at Stormont, and how?

Fact is, the GAA alighted on a plan for a 40k seater super stadium, with corporate facilities and the ability to host concerts etc, without considering the need for Planning Permission.

And their design was never going to get PP, since Safety concerns (esp evacuation in an emergency) over the site were patently inadequate. I'd have thought it pretty basic not to have taken into consideration such an essential aspect before drawing up firm plans and spending millions.

Nor did they help themselves by failing hopelessly to anticipate the feelings of many local residents who, far from seeing "regeneration" for their area, saw only "blight" instead

Worse still, when PP was refused specifically on those grounds, instead of accepting it and coming back with a revised plan which could meet H&S concerns, they came back with a Casement Mk.II which still didn't pass.

Now you might understand this if there were an overwhelming need for an all-singing, all-dancing 40k stadium in Belfast, but as many people on here have pointed out, this is highly questionable. And maybe in "another jurisdiction", it might have been more feasible for the GAA to override Planning considerations? (I'm being mischievous here, btw  ;))

Meanwhile if there were no other suitable location for same in NI, why not go for a more modest proposal which would cost a lot less overall, meaning the GAA could be able to build it solely with Government money and re-direct their own £15m contribution elsewhere?

Finally, if there was political interference from Stormont, the chief source of this was actually SF, who hoped to gain political credit from being associated with this, but clearly never appreciated that it mightn't be much of a vote-winner, if at all.
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Evil Genius

Quote from: Maroon Manc on February 14, 2020, 12:36:44 PM
How much are the GAA & the Britsh taxpayer going to contribute towards the project?
The original agreement was that if the GAA would come up with £15m, then the government would stretch to £62m.

And £77m was considered adequate to build the 40k stadium which the GAA wanted (but was unable to get Planning Permission for).

Since then, when you factor in additional legal and other professional costs already incurred/spent (and more still to come?), plus general construction industry inflation, the cost for the GAA's latest proposal is coming in somewhere north of £100m.

It seems that the GAA are hoping that the shortfall, which stems basically from their own incompetence, will be made up by Stormont. But the government's original contribution was ring-fenced from the Maze money (only) and there should be no provision to increase it. (The IRFU and IFA would also have cause to complain).

Though I say "should", since I expect the new Sports Minister may try to, er, finesse the budget in this direction. She'll need a strong wind behind her, I'd say.

"Hurricane Deirdre"?
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Evil Genius on February 14, 2020, 12:40:28 PM
Meanwhile if there were no other suitable location for same in NI, why not go for a more modest proposal which would cost a lot less overall, meaning the GAA could be able to build it solely with Government money and re-direct their own £15m contribution elsewhere?

Indeed.

£15m from the govt (approx equivalent of Ravenhill) would be comfortably enough to renovate Casement into a 20K, single stand, one cover terrace stadium; suitable to Antrim's needs and fit to act as a neutral venue for all but Ulster finals and big Ulster semi-finals.

Then that £15m of the GAA's could be put into paying coaches within Antrim (in a similar manner as the money put into Dublin).

i usse an speelchekor

Main Street

I'm partial to a 30k comfortable modern seated stadium with all the facilities in Belfast. If there's easy enough access from the motorway and parking is available. Such a stadium would get good usage.

I've lost the thread of the discussion, is there a nutshell summary of what's a realistic Casement project now?

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Main Street on February 14, 2020, 01:15:32 PM
I'm partial to a 30k comfortable modern seated stadium with all the facilities in Belfast.

All seated?

If so, what about those that don't fancy paying the ticket price of a seat?
i usse an speelchekor

illdecide

Is there something wrong with some of your heads, like is it not clear and precise by now after all these years about this proposal what's happening and why. No matter what is discussed someone keeps posting "why can't it do this or that, why not build it here or there instead".

It's in Casement...no where else.
It's not 20,000 or 10,000 or we don't need it...it's 35,000 (after slight reduction)
The funding is for Casement only and can't be moved elsewhere
We don't need it or it'll never be full...Bullshit, Antrim need it, Ulster need it and West Belfast need it.
It's not going to have a few thousand seats and all that standing because someone wants a cheaper ticket

This proposal is more than just a GAA ground, it will have state of the art facilities. It will cater for the local community and will host many seminars and meetings which will generate income and give some jobs to a few locals and it will be something that we can show off to the rest of this twisted Country and have out Ulster final in it full to the rafters...

Rant over guys... :)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Main Street

BennyCake

Read something in paper few days ago, someone suggested a piece of wasteland north of the city would be ideal than for s big stadium rather than building Casement.

omaghjoe

Quote from: hardstation on February 14, 2020, 10:16:07 PM
Quote from: illdecide on February 14, 2020, 08:54:45 PM
Is there something wrong with some of your heads, like is it not clear and precise by now after all these years about this proposal what's happening and why. No matter what is discussed someone keeps posting "why can't it do this or that, why not build it here or there instead".

It's not 20,000 or 10,000 or we don't need it...it's 35,000 (after slight reduction)
We don't need it or it'll never be full...Bullshit, Antrim need it, Ulster need it and West Belfast need it.
It's not going to have a few thousand seats and all that standing because someone wants a cheaper ticket

This proposal is more than just a GAA ground, it will have state of the art facilities. It will cater for the local community and will host many seminars and meetings which will generate income and give some jobs to a few locals and it will be something that we can show off to the rest of this twisted Country and have out Ulster final in it full to the rafters...

Except much of that isn't true.
There is no reason why it can't be anywhere else in the north. That is the GAA's choice.
There is no reason why the capacity can't be reduced. That is the GAA's choice.
Antrim doesn't need "it". Antrim needs a ground capable of holding its games. At the moment, a ground catering for a couple of thousand would more than suffice.
Ulster doesn't particularly need it either. Had the gov not come up with the dough, it wouldn't ever have been a thought.
West Belfast doesn't need it at all, as far as I can see.

Anyone else feel suspicious of Monaghan contributions on this issue no matter if they may agree with them at least in part?

Tony Baloney

I'm partial to a 30k comfortable modern seated stadium with all the facilities in Belfast. If there's easy enough access from the motorway and parking is available. Such a stadium would get good usage.

I've lost the thread of the discussion, is there a nutshell summary of what's a realistic Casement project now?
I think we have reduced the scope of the project from a state of the art 35k all-seater with bars, restaurants and conference rooms, to getting a Massey in with a mower, baler and weed wiper, a bit of joinery work and a few cans of paint. Let's play ball!

Main Street

Quote from: omaghjoe on February 15, 2020, 08:40:18 AM
Quote from: hardstation on February 14, 2020, 10:16:07 PM
Quote from: illdecide on February 14, 2020, 08:54:45 PM

Except much of that isn't true.
There is no reason why it can't be anywhere else in the north. That is the GAA's choice.
There is no reason why the capacity can't be reduced. That is the GAA's choice.
Antrim doesn't need "it". Antrim needs a ground capable of holding its games. At the moment, a ground catering for a couple of thousand would more than suffice.
Ulster doesn't particularly need it either. Had the gov not come up with the dough, it wouldn't ever have been a thought.
West Belfast doesn't need it at all, as far as I can see.

Anyone else feel suspicious of Monaghan contributions on this issue no matter if they may agree with them at least in part?
Paranoia is a normal state of mental being for a Tyronie.

Main Street

Quote from: Tony Baloney on February 15, 2020, 09:46:34 AM

I think we have reduced the scope of the project from a state of the art 35k all-seater with bars, restaurants and conference rooms, to getting a Massey in with a mower, baler and weed wiper, a bit of joinery work and a few cans of paint. Let's play ball!
Casement has been selected as the location among all locations, what's the point now of complaining that it should or could be anywhere else but Casement? Is that option realistic?