American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minder

Quote from: AZOffaly on December 12, 2017, 11:21:11 AM
The Pats have lost 4 of their last 5 in Miami now, or something like that. Very un Patriots like really. If the Steelers can beat them next weekend, you'd think the PAts will struggle to get to the Superbowl.

You would worry for the Steelers that they are only scraping past what has been mediocre opposition the last few weeks. We will find out what they are made of this week 
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

magpie seanie

AFC is pretty awful. This is a poor Patriots team who have Tom Brady and Gronk. I think the Chargers are the best team in the AFC to be honest.

AZOffaly

Quote from: magpie seanie on December 12, 2017, 01:20:21 PM
AFC is pretty awful. This is a poor Patriots team who have Tom Brady and Gronk. I think the Chargers are the best team in the AFC to be honest.

If the Chargers don't implode, they might be very dangerous. Their problem will be because of the 0-4 start, they are bound to have to go on the road to take on New England or Pittsburgh if they get that far. San Diego/Los Angeles in January is a lot different to Foxborough or Pittsburgh.

TabClear

Quote from: AZOffaly on December 12, 2017, 02:27:52 PM

If the Chargers don't implode, they might be very dangerous. Their problem will be because of the 0-4 start, they are bound to have to go on the road to take on New England or Pittsburgh if they get that far. San Diego/Los Angeles in January is a lot different to Foxborough or Pittsburgh.

Its all set up for a Rodgers led Pack winning streak a la 2010.!!

magpie seanie

Quote from: TabClear on December 12, 2017, 02:54:10 PM

Its all set up for a Rodgers led Pack winning streak a la 2010.!!

I wouldn't rule it out. NFC has a lot of good teams though. Just wonder if their defence is good enough.

Syferus

The Chargers are kings of surrendering fourth quarter leads. I'd be surprised if they even come close to a conference title tbh.

And thank feck they won't have home advantage - can you imagine how Mickey Mouse a home AFC championship game would look for the Chargers?

AZOffaly

It'd be a home game for the other team :)  They are masters of impoding alright, but they have a lot of the parts. If Rivers stays hot he's very good. They have a legitimate receiver, and possibly a decent backup cast, They have a good  running back and scat back. They have a good D line. They have a good Tight End. They have a lot of the elements you need. But it's hard to see them going toe to toe with a really good team and winning.

They are now 7-6 after starting 0-4, so that's good form. Their last 3 games are @Chiefs, @Jets and v Raiders. They have it all in front of them. If they win out, they'll be 10-6 and they'll be dangerous. However when they lose to the Chiefs and away to the Jets, the last game will be moot :)

TabClear

Quote from: AZOffaly on December 12, 2017, 04:06:37 PM
It'd be a home game for the other team :)  They are masters of impoding alright, but they have a lot of the parts. If Rivers stays hot he's very good. They have a legitimate receiver, and possibly a decent backup cast, They have a good  running back and scat back. They have a good D line. They have a good Tight End. They have a lot of the elements you need. But it's hard to see them going toe to toe with a really good team and winning.

They are now 7-6 after starting 0-4, so that's good form. Their last 3 games are @Chiefs, @Jets and v Raiders. They have it all in front of them. If they win out, they'll be 10-6 and they'll be dangerous. However when they lose to the Chiefs and away to the Jets, the last game will be moot :)

Chiefs could be a darkhorse for the Superbowl. When they are on they are really good and there were signs in the first half on Sunday that they had their mojo back. Then they showed everyone in the second half why they dont.

magpie seanie

On top of that they've Casey Hayward who has been one of the best corners in the league this year but yeah, they've been geniuses at puking up when victory is in sight many times. I just think they're playing very well the last few weeks and they've a great chance if they do win out. If they beat the Chiefs (on recent form it's likely I'd say) they should be able to take a Bryce Petty led Jets. They might shit their togs then but if not will be a really dangerous playoff team.

magpie seanie

Quote from: TabClear on December 12, 2017, 04:49:01 PM

Chiefs could be a darkhorse for the Superbowl. When they are on they are really good and there were signs in the first half on Sunday that they had their mojo back. Then they showed everyone in the second half why they dont.

They'd need to cop on with their play calling. It improved a bit last week but as a Kelce owner in one of my fantasy league it has been frustrating watching the Chiefs. He's far and away their best receiver and has been criminally underutilised in my view.

Therealdonald

Quote from: magpie seanie on December 12, 2017, 04:55:37 PM

They'd need to cop on with their play calling. It improved a bit last week but as a Kelce owner in one of my fantasy league it has been frustrating watching the Chiefs. He's far and away their best receiver and has been criminally underutilised in my view.

Most dangerous team I feel in the AFC race is the Jags. They have a mean D and with the Pats loss they could get a bye as well. Plus they have Coughlin there. Interesting times.

gallsman

Don't think the Jags have the offense to hang with the big boys.

While their D is mean, they gave up two unbelievably soft scores to Russell Wilson in the 4th quarter on Sunday.

Syferus

Quote from: Therealdonald on December 12, 2017, 05:07:43 PM

Most dangerous team I feel in the AFC race is the Jags. They have a mean D and with the Pats loss they could get a bye as well. Plus they have Coughlin there. Interesting times.

You won't win much with Blake Bortles. The AFC is still Pats or Steelers despite some trendy picks getting a mention here.

I'd love to see the Chiefs hit their early season form again, they looked like genuine SB contenders in their first half dozen or so games.

Therealdonald

Quote from: Syferus on December 12, 2017, 05:15:56 PM

You won't win much with Blake Bortles. The AFC is still Pats or Steelers despite some trendy picks getting a mention here.

I'd love to see the Chiefs hit their early season form again, they looked like genuine SB contenders in their first half dozen or so games.

Ravens won with Flacco. TB with Brad Johnson. Defense wins Superbowls. Dolphins showed the Pats up last night. Take the middle away from Brady, jam Cooks and they struggle. Plus it was evident how reliant they are on Gronk now. The Steelers are limping along. We've seen the Pats do this lots of times before and for every year that Brady has looked like the man, theres another year where he's looked ordinary. I'll stick with a Jags-Falcons Superbowl

magpie seanie

Quote from: Therealdonald on December 12, 2017, 05:52:30 PM
Quote from: Syferus on December 12, 2017, 05:15:56 PM

Ravens won with Flacco. TB with Brad Johnson. Defense wins Superbowls. Dolphins showed the Pats up last night. Take the middle away from Brady, jam Cooks and they struggle. Plus it was evident how reliant they are on Gronk now. The Steelers are limping along. We've seen the Pats do this lots of times before and for every year that Brady has looked like the man, theres another year where he's looked ordinary. I'll stick with a Jags-Falcons Superbowl

I don't go along with all of that but it's clear the Steelers and Patriots records flatter them. The Bears beat the Steelers and they were pushed to the wire by a very average Ravens last weekend. The Patriots have been getting by on other teams stupidity and Brady and Belichick's genius but Miami showed again what you need to do to beat them. I wouldn't rule them out but the bottom line is all the teams have warts and it's very difficult to predict. I think it will make for a very exciting postseason.