GAA journalism

Started by qwerty123, July 02, 2012, 12:46:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

qwerty123

Yes, Humphries may have done something decpicable and unforgivable, but that shouldn't take away from his artistry with the pen, a great writer and that can't be taken away from him, ever.

Syferus

He filled alot of his writing with similes that were so long-winded and obscure that they entirely broke the flow of his writing. I just found it to be very egotistical stuff (and I promise you I felt this way long before everything came out) and he came across as rather unlikeable. Someone like Keith Duggan is more utilitarian but he sticks to the point and lets the story be the king.

qwerty123

I agree to a point with you there, he seemed to do it purely for the sake of it, but at his peak, he was, at times untoucable.  His Monday column had me actually looking forward to the start of the week, but it became more hit-and-miss and regrettably a bit of a let-down.

The problem with journalism in the GAA is that a lot of players just stick to the auto-cue drivel they get from their managers, it's hard to get really insightful, honest interviews - would remind you of the scene in Achorman,
'You stay classy, San Diego. I'm Ron Burgundy?'
'Damn it, who typed a question mark on the teleprompter? For the last time, anything you put on that prompter, Burgundy will read!'

seafoid

Quote from: Syferus on July 03, 2012, 11:53:45 AM
He filled alot of his writing with similes that were so long-winded and obscure that they entirely broke the flow of his writing. I just found it to be very egotistical stuff (and I promise you I felt this way long before everything came out) and he came across as rather unlikeable. Someone like Keith Duggan is more utilitarian but he sticks to the point and lets the story be the king.

Keith Duggan is very good.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

qwerty123

I wonder what the great Paddy Downey would think of the standard of GAA journalism these days?

One of the most memorable quotes I've ever read, although not about GAA, it was a masterpiece, a review of a Scotland/Ireland game when two Scots tried to tackle Moss Keane,
"He handed off two Scots and left them spinning on the turf, rolling stones that gathered no Moss"

NaomhBridAbú

Tom Humphries has written some amazing books - i have a few of them, cant remember all of the titles but one is about the Kerry v Dublin (Blue and Gold?)....absolutely brilliant.

His columns in the IT were stuff of legend.

Keith Duggan is also a brilliant writer - in the lead up to the business end of the AI in both football and hurling, he makes a quare read with a pint of Guinness...

Paddy Heaney also writes stuff...
in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. but he still only has one eye

Hardy

Quote from: qwerty123 on July 05, 2012, 01:50:45 PM
I wonder what the great Paddy Downey would think of the standard of GAA journalism these days?

One of the most memorable quotes I've ever read, although not about GAA, it was a masterpiece, a review of a Scotland/Ireland game when two Scots tried to tackle Moss Keane,
"He handed off two Scots and left them spinning on the turf, rolling stones that gathered no Moss"

That sounds like classic Con Houlihan who, unbelievably, someone here dissed this week.

I think Con was also the man who told us about Gerry McLoughlin crossing the English line "festooned with Englishmen".

George Foreman

Darragh Ó Sé's column is very good.  Paddy Heaney is good most weeks.  There are some hidden gems in local newspapers

5 Sams

I got this for a fiver in An Caife Liteartha in Dingle...

http://www.libertiespress.com/More_Than_A_Game/68/

Great read...
The Aristocrat Years

Hardy

Quote from: 5 Sams on July 05, 2012, 05:34:43 PM
I got this for a fiver in An Caife Liteartha in Dingle...

http://www.libertiespress.com/More_Than_A_Game/68/

Great read...

A great little shop and a great little book.

The Boy Wonder

Apart from Eugene McGee the Irish independent is badly served in terms of GAA journalism. Martin Breheny likes to label contributors to forums such as this as morons. Of course online forums do attract some moronic postings but these are far outweighed by genuine insight, wit and wisdom from passionate GAA supporters - Mr Breheny's prejudice seems to be based on his standing as a professional sports journalist being challenged by what he sees as amateur upstarts. Personally I'd rather read the musings of GAA followers on GAA Board and An Fear Rua than Mr Breheny's journalism.

IolarCoisCuain

Keith Duggan is the best. I respect Eugene and Con Houlihan, even though they do different things - McGee can't write like Houlihan, nor can Houlihan analyse like McGee, but they've made their bones and earned their place. A pity Houlihan is slumming it at the Sunday World, but such is life.

Malachy Clerkin is less than the sum of his parts. He appears to be insightful but when you look closer it disappears. McKenna is a bit too hysterical to be taken seriously and, as Donnelly's Hollow says, the power rankings thing only works for a league, not for a knockout Championship.

Of all the papers, I'd say the Sunday Times has the best combination of writers in Michael Foley, Denis Walsh and Christy O'Connor. Walsh can be a bit People's Republic of Cork-centric, but we all have our biases. O'Connor's insight and understanding very strong, though he wouldn't be the most poetic writer.

Think people are a bit harsh on Ray Silke. He's a great Gael. I remember Matt Cooper getting thick with him when Croke Park was opened. Silke wouldn't toe the party line that this was a great day for Ireland. I was proud of him for sticking to his guns.

Humphries could be outstanding, but on the days when mailed it in - the columns about how hard it is to write a column - he was pathetic. No mention of Gavin "Le Petit" Cumiskey so far I notice.

The man who could be the best of lot isn't even writing regularly. Dara Ó Cinnéide should be the voice of Gaelic Games for the next forty years. He's talented in every way you need to be talented to do that job. The fact that he's not doing it tells you a lot about how media prioritises in this country. Ah well.

qwerty123

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on July 06, 2012, 12:12:17 AM
Keith Duggan is the best. I respect Eugene and Con Houlihan, even though they do different things - McGee can't write like Houlihan, nor can Houlihan analyse like McGee, but they've made their bones and earned their place. A pity Houlihan is slumming it at the Sunday World, but such is life.

Malachy Clerkin is less than the sum of his parts. He appears to be insightful but when you look closer it disappears. McKenna is a bit too hysterical to be taken seriously and, as Donnelly's Hollow says, the power rankings thing only works for a league, not for a knockout Championship.

Of all the papers, I'd say the Sunday Times has the best combination of writers in Michael Foley, Denis Walsh and Christy O'Connor. Walsh can be a bit People's Republic of Cork-centric, but we all have our biases. O'Connor's insight and understanding very strong, though he wouldn't be the most poetic writer.

Think people are a bit harsh on Ray Silke. He's a great Gael. I remember Matt Cooper getting thick with him when Croke Park was opened. Silke wouldn't toe the party line that this was a great day for Ireland. I was proud of him for sticking to his guns.

Humphries could be outstanding, but on the days when mailed it in - the columns about how hard it is to write a column - he was pathetic. No mention of Gavin "Le Petit" Cumiskey so far I notice.

The man who could be the best of lot isn't even writing regularly. Dara Ó Cinnéide should be the voice of Gaelic Games for the next forty years. He's talented in every way you need to be talented to do that job. The fact that he's not doing it tells you a lot about how media prioritises in this country. Ah well.
+1

Very good post

Hardy