Match Day Music

Started by Uladh, June 18, 2008, 10:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Has the national anthem being played before every single Championship game run it's course?

No, I love the custom
I think it should be for Provincial & AI Finals
Parade & Individual county music would be better
Go for a new approach with contemporary Music
Don't care

Uladh

Given the Ulster council's recent initiative of using quality entertainment (eg Malachai Cush) for pre game and half time entertainment, is it time for a new approach to the build up to the games?

upthehoops

In all seriousness I was at Healy Park and Malachy Cush was brutal. It added absulutely nothing to the occasion.

T Fearon

That was dire in Breffni on Sunday. Shite music and far too loud, and it ruined the Bunscoil games at half time as well, imo. It also affected the interviews on the radio at Newry on Saturday night.

Pre match entertainment is used by big soccer clubs to ge the crowd in early. That crap would make you want to delay your entry to the last minute.

I think all Championship games should be preceded simply by the teams pre match parade behind a quality band.

Hardy

Can't vote for any of those options Uladh. I'm not there for music or parades, just football so I'll have to spoil my vote and scrawl "none of the above".

Zapatista

Personally I wouldn't care if they dropped it. However when I read the other thread about respect (pity about the name of that thread) I see many match goers enjoy it. As I am indefferent to it I would say let it continue as it seems to add to the event for many.

Ban it from being sung in pubs hough.

Maximus Marillius

Ay county games i am in favour of the anthem being played with a parade with the teams. But only if if is done properly...and my favourite is a pipe band..with the pipe band band it adds to the occasion

downredblack

Thought he did a good version of The Star , If you are into the anthem then great enjoy the unity of everyone standing together if your not it's only 2 mins of your life surely not too big of a sacrifice .
Must say  having someone (scor winners) sing it at the ground is far better than an aul tape being pumped through the PA .

screenexile

I would be in favour of of a county song being played before matches actually I think it's brilliant when it's the song associated with your team and you're all belting it out for prode in the jersey. I think we need something that helps build the atmosphere to a crescendo... imagine hearing "I Wish I Was Back Home in Derry" before a match? It would be awesome!

T Fearon

Could we all not agree that we'll put up with anything ...except Malachi Cush ;D

PS Isn't he getting married soon anyway?

Uladh

Quote from: screenexile on June 18, 2008, 10:54:47 AM
I would be in favour of of a county song being played before matches actually I think it's brilliant when it's the song associated with your team and you're all belting it out for prode in the jersey. I think we need something that helps build the atmosphere to a crescendo... imagine hearing "I Wish I Was Back Home in Derry" before a match? It would be awesome!

I think it'd certainly add to the atmosphere if each county had their own tune, played one after the other. each county's supporters would certainly identify with the tune for the occasion.

"The boys from the county Armagh" might have to be replaced though...

D4S

I definitely much prefer the old way of the band parading the teams round the field and then standing for the anthem with the band playing it....The buzz when the teams walk by your section of the crowd is class, definitely much better than what we had in omagh and newry in the last 2 weekends.  Ps The sound system in Omagh on 8th June was pathetic, county boards need to ensure their sound system is good especially when there aren't enough programs there to be sold...some people like to hear the teams read out!
The secret of success in life is for a man to be ready for his opportunity when it comes.

T Fearon

There has been a bit of an improvement in the match programmes this year as well in Ulster, though at 3 euros the Armagh Cavan programme in terms of content was miles behind the Dublin Louth programme (costing 4 euros, which I got at Croker the week before) in terms of content and quality factual information and debate.

However at least the Ulster programmes now contain the correct date and teams actually playing, which hasn't always been the case

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Jezuz, we'd end up with "Las Vegas in the hills of Donegal"!  :D

Would get the crowd jumping, but keep AnF.
If it ain't broke-don't fix it.  ;)
Tbc....

Maguire01

I'd keep the anthem for the big games.  I'd also go back to instrumental - don't like the solo vocalist thing at all. Also, hiring Malachi Cush just shows how much the Ulster Council are in the dark ages, and that they really don't have a clue about their audience.  I'd stick with the marching band any day over Malachi Cush - although i think some contemporary stuff could be good for big days (like the Superbowl in the US, if i'm not mistaken) - there are plenty of good Irish bands out there.

Quote from: T Fearon on June 18, 2008, 12:05:23 PM
There has been a bit of an improvement in the match programmes this year as well in Ulster, though at 3 euros the Armagh Cavan programme in terms of content was miles behind the Dublin Louth programme (costing 4 euros, which I got at Croker the week before) in terms of content and quality factual information and debate.
Have to agree - programmes are good this year.  They're the same price as the league programmes however - and the leagure programmes were often a few black and white pages with very little apart from the teams and advertisements.  Just shows how much of a rip-off the league programmes actually were.

IolarCoisCuain

I prefer the sung anthems. Most county grounds just have the anthem on a cat old 78 and it sounds terrible.

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on June 18, 2008, 12:14:59 PM
Jezuz, we'd end up with "Las Vegas in the hills of Donegal"!  :D

Not at all Gaoth Dobhair - you'd end up with one of the best of them: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtV01CmpXTM