Casement set to host International Rules in 2013

Started by ziggysego, November 17, 2010, 10:20:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ziggysego

Casement Park in Belfast is being lined up to host the next International Rules test in Ireland in 2013.

Limeirick's Gaelic Grounds got the nod this year ahead of Casement Park, but the Anderstown Road venue will be in a better position to stage the game in three years as it is due to be upgraded to a 40,000 all-seater stadium in the meantime.

"We would love to be in a position to do it up there (in Casement Park). It was considered this time around but it just wasn't considered quite suitable enough. We needed more seats basically," GAA Operations Manager Feargal McGill said yesterday.

"It would be an absolute ambition of everyone in the GAA to have an international game staged in Belfast, or somewhere in the Six Counties. That would be absolutely outstanding. It would be a nice payback to many GAA people who have worked so hard up there over the years."

McGill was speaking at the announcement of a 60-man shortlist for the Ulster Bank Sigerson Cup Team of the Century. The 60 nominees all played Sigerson Cup football in the last 100 years and include Maurice Fitzgerald (UCC/Kerry), Billy Morgan (UCC/Kerry) and Enda Colleran (UCG/Galway). The final 15 will be decided next month by a committee chaired by Dr Mick Loftus.

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=138549
Testing Accessibility

Banana Man

about time too but great news, would definitley be a sell out i reckon

Rossfan

Not if the views on Int Rules on this Board from Northern posters are repesentative of most Ulster GAA people  ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

angermanagement

If Casement is to be redeveloped there is no way it will be ready for 2013.

deargdoom

Quote from: angermanagement on November 17, 2010, 02:50:29 PM
Exactly what I was thinking. It would be good to get it back in an Ulster venue though, might generate a bit more support for the series.

Maguire01

Quote from: deargdoom on November 17, 2010, 03:55:28 PM
Exactly what I was thinking. It would be good to get it back in an Ulster venue though, might generate a bit more support for the series.
Agreed. The best case scenario would be that Casement would be a building site by 2013. The idea that a new stadium would be in place is a bit ambitious!

Banana Man

Quote from: Rossfan on November 17, 2010, 02:38:53 PM
Not if the views on Int Rules on this Board from Northern posters are repesentative of most Ulster GAA people  ;)

ach i don't know rossfan, it would be a well supported series in terms of down people, i personally love it

Ball Hopper

Quote from: ziggysego on November 17, 2010, 10:20:31 AM

McGill was speaking at the announcement of a 60-man shortlist for the Ulster Bank Sigerson Cup Team of the Century. The 60 nominees all played Sigerson Cup football in the last 100 years and include Maurice Fitzgerald (UCC/Kerry), Billy Morgan (UCC/Kerry) and Enda Colleran (UCG/Galway). The final 15 will be decided next month by a committee chaired by Dr Mick Loftus.

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=138549

Small error there...

illdecide

Why not, providing things get rolling by the summer of 2011 then it would be ready no problem for 2013. two full years to construct it...not a bother lads
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

donelli

i dont know which is more unlikely....
the international rules still going in 2013 or the re-development of casement actually going ahead..

angermanagement

Quote from: illdecide on November 18, 2010, 12:02:22 PM

Why not, providing things get rolling by the summer of 2011 then it would be ready no problem for 2013. two full years to construct it...not a bother lads

They'l be lucky if its even through the planning process at that stage knowing are goverment agencies. Also I expect the local residents to put up a major fight against the development thus delaying it even longer.

The Worker

Where would Antrim play their league games should casement close for redevelopment?

i heard aghagallon pitch is closed for works to bring it up to county standard, is this a realistic venue?

fitzroyalty

Quote from: The Worker on November 18, 2010, 05:58:45 PM
Where would Antrim play their league games should casement close for redevelopment?

i heard aghagallon pitch is closed for works to bring it up to county standard, is this a realistic venue?
What are aghagallon getting done? It's a bit out of the way to hold county games imo.

gerry

Non starter. There is no way that casement will be ready for it, thats if its even started by then.
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

Maguire01

Quote from: The Worker on November 18, 2010, 05:58:45 PM
Windsor Park.