Ulster Championship 2020

Started by J70, October 26, 2020, 03:19:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Itchy

Cheers lads. Could be mayhem this eve at Breffni,  some footage already doesn't look good. Hard to keep a lid on this. 40th ulster title, people are going to go nuts.

Main Street

Itchy

pbat

Has Patton's soccer background came back to haunt him. There is no questioning his kick out ability but his tendency to punch everything has caught up with him.

Itchy

Quote from: pbat on November 22, 2020, 08:56:28 PM
Has Patton's soccer background came back to haunt him. There is no questioning his kick out ability but his tendency to punch everything has caught up with him.

He was targeted by long ball surely

Itchy

Quote from: hardstation on November 22, 2020, 08:41:55 PM
Might even spend a fiver between them!

Its great to see the 1970s cutting edge comedy of Niall Tobin is alive and well.

Erne Man

Well done Cavan - fantastic result today - winning Ulster from the preliminary round is a massive achievement.
We can only look across the border enviously, at a manager who uses the resources he has to the max, and ensures that his players, are playing in a way that best utilises their strengths. Some of the individual performances today, and over the previous 3 games have been heroic. It was great to see players going at it, not afraid to take on chances, and not stuck in rigid systems.
Enjoy the celebrations - and good luck in the semi.

Saffrongael

Quote from: Itchy on November 22, 2020, 08:58:38 PM
Quote from: hardstation on November 22, 2020, 08:41:55 PM
Might even spend a fiver between them!

Its great to see the 1970s cutting edge comedy of Niall Tobin is alive and well.

The Cavan Gabe Hurl

Well done Cavan
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

trileacman

Quote from: Erne Man on November 22, 2020, 09:01:11 PM
Well done Cavan - fantastic result today - winning Ulster from the preliminary round is a massive achievement.
We can only look across the border enviously, at a manager who uses the resources he has to the max, and ensures that his players, are playing in a way that best utilises their strengths. Some of the individual performances today, and over the previous 3 games have been heroic. It was great to see players going at it, not afraid to take on chances, and not stuck in rigid systems.
Enjoy the celebrations - and good luck in the semi.

Bit of a difference in the ability of the two sides though. Most of these Cavan players are underage ulster champions.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

tonto1888

Quote from: marty34 on November 22, 2020, 08:00:04 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on November 22, 2020, 06:16:09 PM
Galligan's interview on bbc bear had me in tears.

Great stuff by him and his manager on tv.  Pure speaking from the heart instead of this robotic prehersed stuff that managers and players come out with.

Cavan played with passion from the first whistle. The goalie said they talked during the week about having a cut at it and that's what they did.

Too many managers, and by extension players, just go through the motions - routine stuff with no passion etc.  Graham is some manager- he has something which other managers like Bonner and Gallagher etc. don't have...passion with no little tactical nous and skill.

A great day for Cavan and their people - a huge gaa traditional county.

100 years after Bloody Sunday, the 4 same teams are in the semi-finala.  That's magic.

Excellent post and can't disagree with any of it

tonto1888

Quote from: Itchy on November 22, 2020, 08:39:18 PM
Cheers lads. Could be mayhem this eve at Breffni,  some footage already doesn't look good. Hard to keep a lid on this. 40th ulster title, people are going to go nuts.

Itchy, we had some disagreements on here after our semifinals last year but by god I'm delighted for ye pal. Enjoy it. I'm not jealous at all. Promise

J70

Quote from: pbat on November 22, 2020, 08:56:28 PM

Yeah, he's been caught a few times this year at county and club.

I honestly don't think we would have won anyway. It was more likely Cavan would have hit an insurance point than us an equalizer IMO. You never know, of course, but that was no smash and grab where the mishit punch cost us the game. Only one team deserved to win that. Which makes it worse. Once again we wilted when the pressure came on. Three years in a row.

Hopefully we'll learn from it and come back in six months for another crack at it.

Sandy Hill

The 1920 AIF wasn't played until June 1922 and was won by Tipperary who beat Dublin 1.06 to 1.02; the same again?
"Stercus accidit"

Itchy

Quote from: tonto1888 on November 22, 2020, 09:31:04 PM

Itchy, we had some disagreements on here after our semifinals last year but by god I'm delighted for ye pal. Enjoy it. I'm not jealous at all. Promise

No bother lad, sure I know I'm a contrary f**ker.

tonto1888

Quote from: Itchy on November 22, 2020, 09:45:02 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on November 22, 2020, 09:31:04 PM

No bother lad, sure I know I'm a contrary f**ker.

Well, I didn't want to say haha. Enjoy the celebrations. However you're doing them. And stay safe