Premier League 20/21

Started by Hereiam, August 05, 2020, 01:57:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armamike

Tough draw for Liverpool but a chance to avenge the 7 2.
That's just, like your opinion man.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Armamike on November 30, 2020, 09:04:43 PM
Tough draw for Liverpool but a chance to avenge the 7 2.

Does not matter who Liverpool drew, Klopp will see it as a night off! He and Fenway care little for the competiion.

lurganblue

Quote from: ziggy90 on November 23, 2020, 07:02:29 PM
Quote from: Main Street on November 23, 2020, 03:29:34 PM
Quote from: lurganblue on November 23, 2020, 03:18:34 PM
Yeah I take your point on that, Trez did make a complete meal of it.  Dean Smith said the whole ground could hear the thud of the contact, and I assume that played into the ref's original decision too.
If there was such a thud I doubt the ref would even have considered reviewing the decision. And in all honesty how on earth could such a slight contact,  if any, could have caused such an earth trembling thud?

It made my day.  :D

No doubt you enjoyed last night too lol.

The dreaded sleeve in an offside position, just like Bamford a few weeks ago.  Plus it isn't a foul cos he's offside? I actually haven't a clue of the rules.

West Ham with 2 shots and come away with the win, having been brutal for 88 mins of football.

shark

Quote from: lurganblue on December 01, 2020, 09:23:18 AM
Yeah I take your point on that, Trez did make a complete meal of it.  Dean Smith said the whole ground could hear the thud of the contact, and I assume that played into the ref's original decision too.
If there was such a thud I doubt the ref would even have considered reviewing the decision. And in all honesty how on earth could such a slight contact,  if any, could have caused such an earth trembling thud?

The dreaded sleeve in an offside position, just like Bamford a few weeks ago.  Plus it isn't a foul cos he's offside? I actually haven't a clue of the rules.

West Ham with 2 shots and come away with the win, having been brutal for 88 mins of football.

I have no idea how Villa didn't win by 3 clear goals last night, never mind losing the game.

GetOverTheBar

Not to mention, the only reason Watkins sleeve / arm was offside was because he was being held back by the defender!

It's really killing the game. I don't know how they can get it so wrong, how can people be involved in the game yet so out of touch.

lurganblue

Should everyone follow the Dutch model?

shark

To put it in simple terms. If you need to draw lines to adjudicate the decision, then the player is level. If the player is offside then the naked eye with the aid of video should be able to see that. This is not why the offside law was invented. In this example Watkins did not gain an unfair advantage on the defender. They are applying a level of detail to a law that was not invented to be implemented in such a way.
The argument that decisions for and against will level out for each team over time may hold through, given a large enough sample size. But meanwhile the games have fewer goals scored and the initial joy of many good goals is sucked out of the game through fear of being chalked off. It's meant to be fun - enjoyable. VAR (or at least the implementation of VAR) is anti-fun.

imtommygunn

The offside scrutiny really never seemed  to be the intent of var. It was for clear and obvious errors. They have made an utter balls of it.

pbat

Oliver Holt pointed out on Twitter that people have no issue with a goal not been given because 5mm if the ball has not crossed the line so how can they have issue with you been 5mm offside. Interesting view

Saffrongael

Quote from: pbat on December 01, 2020, 01:00:36 PM
Oliver Holt pointed out on Twitter that people have no issue with a goal not been given because 5mm if the ball has not crossed the line so how can they have issue with you been 5mm offside. Interesting view

The issue is it's totally arbitrary in what it decides to "look" at, that's my problem with it.
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

lurganblue

Quote from: pbat on December 01, 2020, 01:00:36 PM

Oliver Holt is a good one for talking sh*te right enough.  The ball crosses the goal line, that is simple enough.  Measuring the exact moment the ball leaves a players foot, then applying wee lines to the sleeves of a player from a camera recording leaves quite a scope for human error.

thewobbler

Lurganblue I think Holt's point still stands.

Fans don't want to believe that 1mm offside is actually offside. Human error isn't the key consideration, it's people feeling robbed when it happens by the minimum of distances. Hence people describe VAR as luck. It not. It just makes it feel like that.

——

I hate VAR by the way.

Hound

I'm very much in favour of VAR, but not in favour of the people who implement it! 

They've basically changed what "level" means for the offside rule.

The rule used to be that if you were level you were onside. Now they've pretty much removed the concept of "level". To the naked eye, any reasonable person would conclude Watkins was level, and therefore onside. But the way there are using technology, it's similar to horse racing or the 100m, technically there is a tiny tiny chance of actually being level, but it's as rare as hen's teeth.

IMO, for VAR reviews, they should have a single line a half-yard in front of the players so the official has the correct line of vision / aspect, and then the official uses his judgement on whether they are level or whether the forward is in front. This would have the effect of leaving the rule as it was pre-VAR, but getting the decision right in case a linesman made a mistake.

lurganblue

Quote from: thewobbler on December 01, 2020, 01:18:44 PM
Lurganblue I think Holt's point still stands.

Fans don't want to believe that 1mm offside is actually offside. Human error isn't the key consideration, it's people feeling robbed when it happens by the minimum of distances. Hence people describe VAR as luck. It not. It just makes it feel like that.

——

I hate VAR by the way.

The problem is that the margin is miniscule and they cannot be definitive with many of the aspects, thus it is prone to error or ridiculousness.

ziggy90

I did indeed.  :D But that said  VAR is ruining the game. Imagine if that had happened at a full Vile Park in a crucial game? There's every chance that decision could have caused a full scale riot? Well at least it would if it happened at St Andrew's.  ;)
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered