Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

delgany

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 17, 2020, 02:09:29 PM
Quote from: delgany on September 17, 2020, 01:38:45 PM
Quote from: breakingball on September 17, 2020, 07:47:25 AM
Maybe thats why he was refereeing a junior game and not senior?

Quote from: ciaran1988 on September 17, 2020, 07:07:59 AM
I seen a ref in the junior hurling championship semi finals and no harm to that man but he certainly isn't padding any bleep test. It's a Hard gig and fair play to anyone who does it

So players at Intermediate and junior dont put in the same effort as a senior club ? The point being made is that a ref is an integral part of the match day and needs to have a reasonable level of fitness , these days , as most clubs at senior , intermediate and junior levels are training at a much higher level than they did in the past.

Maybe you also didn't read my post, fitness test wasn't carried out this year, for obvious reasons, is that simple enough to understand? Or will I post it again?

Yes, I understood your point about the fitness test not taking place. My point was that an unfit referee should not be referring an IFC  or JHC or any other significant championship game, as it is disrespectful to both teams. The appointment of an unfit referee while other qualified refs are standing doing sideline official duties at senior games  is the bit that irritates more!

Bronco

Neither Bellaghy or St Enda's are playing in the senior final, so you'll have difficulty streaming that nonexistent game.

Quote from: Belfast GAA man on September 17, 2020, 05:01:51 PM
Since calm down shouted at Me I took a wee break from this but looks likE no one else did !
No problem with McCann getting off as a club player did too. Feared a county stitch up only
Good luck to
Bellaghy/Cargin and St Endas / Creggan on Sunday

Is it being streamed?

Belfast GAA man

Are there members not heavily involved IN the final bronco ?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: delgany on September 17, 2020, 05:25:56 PM

I seen a ref in the junior hurling championship semi finals and no harm to that man but he certainly isn't padding any bleep test. It's a Hard gig and fair play to anyone who does it

So players at Intermediate and junior dont put in the same effort as a senior club ? The point being made is that a ref is an integral part of the match day and needs to have a reasonable level of fitness , these days , as most clubs at senior , intermediate and junior levels are training at a much higher level than they did in the past.

Maybe you also didn't read my post, fitness test wasn't carried out this year, for obvious reasons, is that simple enough to understand? Or will I post it again?

Yes, I understood your point about the fitness test not taking place. My point was that an unfit referee should not be referring an IFC  or JHC or any other significant championship game, as it is disrespectful to both teams. The appointment of an unfit referee while other qualified refs are standing doing sideline official duties at senior games  is the bit that irritates more!

Well we'll only know if he's unfit if he didn't pass the test, as the test wasn't required then you're making assumptions on his shape, meaning his unfit!??

I've ran plenty triathlons and I've seen some seriously looking unfit men come home in a sprint triathlon in just over 1.15mins . While I was coming in 15 mins later..

Qualified refs are people that have past the rules test, that actually was carried out. So again I feel you're making ill qualified judgements
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Bronco

There are indeed. Not sure why that has you so riled up that you need to portray it as a Bellaghy/Cargin v St Enda's/Creggan final.

Most clubs have someone involved from outside these days in some capacity. Personally I wouldn't be in favour of that situation but it is what it is. Your facetious comments however indicate a rather unseemly jealousy of both teams reaching the final. Which is sad to see.
Quote from: Belfast GAA man on September 17, 2020, 05:50:56 PM

delgany

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 17, 2020, 06:13:43 PM

Well we'll only know if he's unfit if he didn't pass the test, as the test wasn't required then you're making assumptions on his shape, meaning his unfit!??

I've ran plenty triathlons and I've seen some seriously looking unfit men come home in a sprint triathlon in just over 1.15mins . While I was coming in 15 mins later..

Qualified refs are people that have past the rules test, that actually was carried out. So again I feel you're making ill qualified judgements

Dont start on the rules test .... a very well known ref ... exclaimed that there was no square ball  rule in football for 4 years ... to me recently !

BigBallWeeBall

Quote from: Bronco on September 17, 2020, 06:16:20 PM
There are indeed. Not sure why that has you so riled up that you need to portray it as a Bellaghy/Cargin v St Enda's/Creggan final.

Most clubs have someone involved from outside these days in some capacity. Personally I wouldn't be in favour of that situation but it is what it is. Your facetious comments however indicate a rather unseemly jealousy of both teams reaching the final. Which is sad to see.
Quote from: Belfast GAA man on September 17, 2020, 05:50:56 PM
South West Antrim is obviously where the big money is... ahem... Allegedly

Milltown Row2

Quote from: delgany on September 17, 2020, 06:25:14 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 17, 2020, 06:13:43 PM

Dont start on the rules test .... a very well known ref ... exclaimed that there was no square ball  rule in football for 4 years ... to me recently !

You can get the odd question wrong, only 85% pass rate, though it has changed slightly but there's still a square ball
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

paddyjohn

Knock the ref bashing on the head lads. It's out of order.

On the topic of outside managers, Cargin have done it for years and have won a SFC. Creggan are in the final and they do it also, neither club seems to dwindling in number and joining with other clubs. So maybe it's working.

The obsession with money being spent is embarrassing. Dunloy are possibly paying Eoin McNicholl a few quid for his services, SHC winners and IFC finalists. Are they wrong in getting an expert in to train them? IMO it's better paying a coach or manager to help than throwing into a social club.

Milltown Row2

Does it work or would success come to that club if they just used the clubman who puts his name forward?

We've had different degrees of success over the years with outside managers, but both managers that played for us, managed to get us to Croke Park and the other (culbert) to an Ulster final

Bronco

I agree with this. It shouldn't be permitted, it goes against the whole ethos of the GAA in my opinion. You should only be able to take ,or play for, your own club.

Quote from: hardstation on September 17, 2020, 08:47:18 PM
If you want a better full back is it ok to pay one to play for you?

Of course it is wrong. It is against the rules and ethos of the association.

It's just an accepted breach of the rules. And indeed one that is becoming expected and even demanded in some clubs.

Bronco

It undoubtedly does work in some cases. There's plenty of evidence for it. Sometimes an outsider can unite everyone in a way a clubman can't.

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 17, 2020, 08:53:05 PM
Does it work or would success come to that club if they just used the clubman who puts his name forward?

We've had different degrees of success over the years with outside managers, but both managers that played for us, managed to get us to Croke Park and the other (culbert) to an Ulster final

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Bronco on September 17, 2020, 08:56:41 PM
I agree with this. It shouldn't be permitted, it goes against the whole ethos of the GAA in my opinion. You should only be able to take ,or play for, your own club.

It's just an accepted breach of the rules. And indeed one that is becoming expected and even demanded in some clubs.

So if a player moves to Dublin he should just stop? Or let's say there's a fall out, and no going back, we'd rather he just fucks off and plays ping pong...

paddyjohn

It's happened in the past, wether we like it or not, it's as much part of the game as bad refs!!!

Calm Down

Quote from: ciaran1988 on September 17, 2020, 05:18:36 PM
Sorry for any offence caused but I wasn't making any attack on any referee. I was just making a point on fitness as it had been brought up. Probably could and should have made it in a better way. The ref I was referring to had a very game in my opinion so I certainly wasn't making a dig and I know it's a thankless job which I did mention, so fair play to him and the rest.

Apologies all now let's hope we have some great football finals to enjoy this weekend

Well said Ciaran as I said earlier I think your comments were clumsy as opposed to malicious