Congress

Started by Baile BrigĂ­n 2, March 01, 2021, 02:47:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

6th sam

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 14, 2021, 10:52:09 PM
Like said if people think it's a good idea then crack on, I did the games at Croke one Saturday night, Dubs were playing a hurling football doubleheader, great night and was lucky enough to get the tickets from a great aul poster on here, Budweiser, but it was a Saturday.

If I lived in Ballycastle and was part of the county team and we were playing Dublin senior hurling, 7.30 throw in, what time would I need to be heading to a game at? Now remember I'm working till 5

Soccer matches (at least semi-pro Tbf) have been played on Friday nights for years. McKenna cup games have been played midweek for years. I have several friends work on building sites , but all finish early in a Friday . Our club have had to travel to far end of the county for 7pm games for years. 8pm start for selected ""local games" is very doable and very attractive. As there would be advanced notice a player could take leave on the Friday afternoon. For such one-off high profile games, most  employers would be amenable to this. I imagine the GPA would negotiate appropriate redress to avoid discrimination of players .  The promotional benefit of FNF is too good an opportunity to continue missing out on . The GAA had several grounds around the country under-utilised , let's play more county games in a condensed season, and the extra revenue can be ploughed into grassroots . The  casement scenario mentioned above is relevant...invest in giving Antrim a scaled down replacement of casement(which was rarely filled) , and plough the rest of the money into grassroots in Ulster ( which the IFA did). A glamorous more lucrative county game should become a cash cow for grassroots development IMHO. This split season , and fairer merit-based Intercounty game, could bring us to a new level: inter-county and club . Bring it on!

rodney trotter

Down Hurling manager not impressed with Brian McAvoys comments on proposal B.

"This is a man who has presided over the fact that there is no Ulster hurling championship for minors, U20s or for seniors," said Sheehan.

"Ulster have abdicated their responsibility for hurling promotion to Leinster, and I would like to go very publicly on record to thank Leinster for giving my own young hurlers at U20 the opportunity to play in the Leinster Championship because their own province doesn't deem them worthy of having one

https://t.co/EoWHuTV63C?amp=1

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: rodney trotter on October 15, 2021, 07:22:46 PM
Down Hurling manager not impressed with Brian McAvoys comments on proposal B.

"This is a man who has presided over the fact that there is no Ulster hurling championship for minors, U20s or for seniors," said Sheehan.

"Ulster have abdicated their responsibility for hurling promotion to Leinster, and I would like to go very publicly on record to thank Leinster for giving my own young hurlers at U20 the opportunity to play in the Leinster Championship because their own province doesn't deem them worthy of having one

https://t.co/EoWHuTV63C?amp=1

Bravo

Eire90

hurling needs to ditch provincials more than football or  have them as pre season when galway and antrim can play in leinster it makes mockery of provincial anyway.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: 6th sam on October 15, 2021, 07:32:10 AM
Like said if people think it's a good idea then crack on, I did the games at Croke one Saturday night, Dubs were playing a hurling football doubleheader, great night and was lucky enough to get the tickets from a great aul poster on here, Budweiser, but it was a Saturday.

If I lived in Ballycastle and was part of the county team and we were playing Dublin senior hurling, 7.30 throw in, what time would I need to be heading to a game at? Now remember I'm working till 5

Soccer matches (at least semi-pro Tbf) have been played on Friday nights for years. McKenna cup games have been played midweek for years. I have several friends work on building sites , but all finish early in a Friday . Our club have had to travel to far end of the county for 7pm games for years. 8pm start for selected ""local games" is very doable and very attractive. As there would be advanced notice a player could take leave on the Friday afternoon. For such one-off high profile games, most  employers would be amenable to this. I imagine the GPA would negotiate appropriate redress to avoid discrimination of players .  The promotional benefit of FNF is too good an opportunity to continue missing out on . The GAA had several grounds around the country under-utilised , let's play more county games in a condensed season, and the extra revenue can be ploughed into grassroots . The  casement scenario mentioned above is relevant...invest in giving Antrim a scaled down replacement of casement(which was rarely filled) , and plough the rest of the money into grassroots in Ulster ( which the IFA did). A glamorous more lucrative county game should become a cash cow for grassroots development IMHO. This split season , and fairer merit-based Intercounty game, could bring us to a new level: inter-county and club . Bring it on!

Like I said if players and county managers are happy with it then carry on, I personally as a supporter wouldn't want to finish work at five and head off 60+ miles on a Friday night. Why not have it at 3pm on a Saturday like soccer?

I know from personal experience as a player/manager of club that we'd better performances when not heading 60 miles to a game during the dark nights..
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Eire90 on October 15, 2021, 07:27:23 PM
hurling needs to ditch provincials more than football or  have them as pre season when galway and antrim can play in leinster it makes mockery of provincial anyway.

The point is McAvoy is happy to sit back and watch hurling die and give little or no help.

6th sam

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 15, 2021, 07:32:07 PM
Quote from: 6th sam on October 15, 2021, 07:32:10 AM

Like I said if players and county managers are happy with it then carry on, I personally as a supporter wouldn't want to finish work at five and head off 60+ miles on a Friday night. Why not have it at 3pm on a Saturday like soccer?

I know from personal experience as a player/manager of club that we'd better performances when not heading 60 miles to a game during the dark nights..
Very fair point MR. I just think that there is serious promotional value to stand alone games throughout the weekend. Down SFC does this well.
I'd love to head to athletic grounds for Down v Armagh at 8pm on a Friday . Time off work for players would have to happen though

burdizzo

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on October 15, 2021, 10:00:35 PM

The point is McAvoy is happy to sit back and watch hurling die and give little or no help.

The point was that McAvoy had happily let Ulster Championships die, and then cited their demise as a reason for opposing the football proposal!

thewobbler

Quote from: burdizzo on October 15, 2021, 10:37:12 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on October 15, 2021, 10:00:35 PM

The point was that McAvoy had happily let Ulster Championships die, and then cited their demise as a reason for opposing the football proposal!

I'm not really sure what the point is here.

Eire90

should the quarter finals be totally seeded like 1v8 2v7 3v6 4v5  if proposal b happens   i think they going to be half seeded where top 4 getting drawing against bottom remaining 4

Derry Optimist

To summarise the prospects  arising out of next Saturday's special Congress vote re the new Championship proposals, it would appear that Proposal A has no chance of success,that Congress B will get  good  support but not enough to pass the required 60 per cent mark.

Therefore we will be back to the old Qualifying system which apparently nobody wants. However, in the eyes of those against change of any kind that is much more preferable than to embrace change which they perceive CORRECTLY  as a loss of their provincial own power and  status. But is that as important as treating all our counties and players  equally and with respect?

True, the vast majority of the players(who are the most important stakeholders in this very increasingly  sorry debacle),a huge majority of supporters and practically all the media are in support of Proposal B.

The reality of all of this is that, as it has been so  accurately pointed out by former Tyrone star and current Antrim manager Enda McGinley, NONE of the foregoing have a vote to decide the outcome.The whole Review body Task force's motions and thus its individual members have been lambasted by one Provincial CEO and condemned by another Provincial CEO.What a dictatorial way to treat so many fine dedicated and fellow  GAA volunteers.

What credible organisation would allow two motions for change go forward in the first place and then allow the self same motions no support in the guise of being neutral?If the GAA HIERARCHY REALLY WANTED CHANGE THEY WOULD HAVE directed the Review Group to agree on ONE motion.

If this had been done the hierarchy would have had no excuse not to get fully behind the agreed motion and market it nationwide accordingly. Instead they failed to do that and have failed everyone, especially the players who do all the hard training for nothing and curtail the rest of us from having a fair equitable and enjoyable GAA season.One would have to question the real rationale behind this unfair treatment of so many volunteers and so many players who have given so much for so little respect in return.

yellowcard

Quote from: Derry Optimist on October 16, 2021, 12:56:58 PM
To summarise the prospects  arising out of next Saturday's special Congress vote re the new Championship proposals, it would appear that Proposal A has no chance of success,that Congress B will get  good  support but not enough to pass the required 60 per cent mark.

Therefore we will be back to the old Qualifying system which apparently nobody wants. However, in the eyes of those against change of any kind that is much more preferable than to embrace change which they perceive CORRECTLY  as a loss of their provincial own power and  status. But is that as important as treating all our counties and players  equally and with respect?

True, the vast majority of the players(who are the most important stakeholders in this very increasingly  sorry debacle),a huge majority of supporters and practically all the media are in support of Proposal B.

The reality of all of this is that, as it has been so  accurately pointed out by former Tyrone star and current Antrim manager Enda McGinley, NONE of the foregoing have a vote to decide the outcome.The whole Review body Task force's motions and thus its individual members have been lambasted by one Provincial CEO and condemned by another Provincial CEO.What a dictatorial way to treat so many fine dedicated and fellow  GAA volunteers.

What credible organisation would allow two motions for change go forward in the first place and then allow the self same motions no support in the guise of being neutral?If the GAA HIERARCHY REALLY WANTED CHANGE THEY WOULD HAVE directed the Review Group to agree on ONE motion.

If this had been done the hierarchy would have had no excuse not to get fully behind the agreed motion and market it nationwide accordingly. Instead they failed to do that and have failed everyone, especially the players who do all the hard training for nothing and curtail the rest of us from having a fair equitable and enjoyable GAA season.One would have to question the real rationale behind this unfair treatment of so many volunteers and so many players who have given so much for so little respect in return.

There has been an absence of leadership from HQ to date and their silence is deafening on the proposals. Maybe they might come out in the final week of the debate but until now we are just left reading between the lines as to their intentions.

Rossfan

Whatever you might think of the proposals the GAA head bucks have not covered themselves in glory.
If they weren't happy with the proposals why put them forward as motions in the first place?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Eire90

i dont see why under the 2001-2017 system that the provincial champions did not get a home advantage it also gives a bit more of a reasoning to win the provincial championship a home draw and  a match against a qualifier

armaghniac

Home advantage was introduced, but only for the Leinster champions.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B