GAA books

Started by Jinxy, August 17, 2011, 12:13:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Quote from: spuds on November 29, 2018, 01:56:16 PM
Cora

https://www.google.ie/amp/www.the42.ie/cora-staunton-autobiography-named-irish-sports-book-of-the-year-4363598-Nov2018/%3famp=1

A unbelievable talent! She has thrown her hand at Soccer, Rugby and Aussie Rules. Her medal collection is scary. Her biggest downfall has been she has often played as an individual in a team sport.

donelli

Any reviews of the tim pat mccoogan book, the gaa and the war of independence?
dont see much else on the gaa front for christmas

Main Street

Quote from: From the Bunker on November 29, 2018, 02:40:02 PM
Quote from: spuds on November 29, 2018, 01:56:16 PM
Cora

https://www.google.ie/amp/www.the42.ie/cora-staunton-autobiography-named-irish-sports-book-of-the-year-4363598-Nov2018/%3famp=1

A unbelievable talent! She has thrown her hand at Soccer, Rugby and Aussie Rules. Her medal collection is scary. Her biggest downfall has been she has often played as an individual in a team sport.
When did Cora have her downfall? after she won all those allstars and all those AI club and county medals?

Surely you're not taking about falling all the way down to Australia to play aussie ball ;D

rodney trotter

Aidan O Mahony's book shortlisted for Sports book of the year
Shane Carty's also on the list

Mickey Harte has a 3rd book out.

Silver hill

Appreciate its not a Gaa book but he did play for Cooley, but Rob Kearney's book last year was absolute dross. Someone got me it for Christmas. I wasn't surprised when I heard that it only shifted a few thousand copies. It was a recall of games played, no insight into the man on any level. Did nothing to dispel the theory that there wasn't much going on between the two ears.

BennyCake

O'Mahony decent  enough player, but not someone that would stand out as having  an interesting story to tell. Rory Kavansgh too, although the McGuinness era might be interesting.

It's strange because players rarely let themselves be known to fans/media in their playing career. Interviews are bland, say nothing affairs, no room for quirky answers or a bit of off the cuff remarks, snippets of life in the camp etc. Then when they retire, they try to sell a book based on a decade of dull interviews and a bland demeanour in front of the cameras.

By the way, who are Shane Carty and Rob Kearney?

Saffrongael

Quote from: rodney trotter on October 21, 2021, 01:40:13 PM

Think if you mention "demons" or mental health, as they all do nowadays you will be on all the shortlists. O'Mahony would eat himself if he could
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

Taylor

Quote from: Saffrongael on October 21, 2021, 04:48:14 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on October 21, 2021, 01:40:13 PM

Think if you mention "demons" or mental health, as they all do nowadays you will be on all the shortlists. O'Mahony would eat himself if he could

;D ;D
He wont like reading that here

J70

Quote from: BennyCake on October 21, 2021, 04:45:52 PM
O'Mahony decent  enough player, but not someone that would stand out as having  an interesting story to tell. Rory Kavansgh too, although the McGuinness era might be interesting.

It's strange because players rarely let themselves be known to fans/media in their playing career. Interviews are bland, say nothing affairs, no room for quirky answers or a bit of off the cuff remarks, snippets of life in the camp etc. Then when they retire, they try to sell a book based on a decade of dull interviews and a bland demeanour in front of the cameras.

By the way, who are Shane Carty and Rob Kearney?

Yet Rory Kavanagh's book was really good (he partnered with Liam Hayes to write it, if I remember correctly). Not just for the McGuinness years, but for his insight into all that went on in the years before it.

I guess not every county lends itself to the tales of carefree mayhem followed by rigid monastic intensity that 2000s into 2010s Donegal senior team did, but on O'Mahoney's part, he has some potentially interesting insights to provide, both for his own personal exploits on the field (good and bad) and at team level. I'd be interested in hearing his own account of the marking job he did on Michael Murphy in the 2014 final, for example. Or the Donnacha O'Connor "strike" incident.

Whether the book is good or not will depend, as all such bios do, on how much he's willing to open up.

fearsiuil

Anyone read Anthony Molloy's book?

J70

StephenC

Quote from: J70 on December 28, 2022, 08:59:31 PM
Haven't got hold of it yet, but it looks decent, and honest, from this excerpt about the aftermath of 1992 and his retirement:

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/alcohol-abuse-depression-and-loss-of-marriage-how-winning-all-ireland-threatened-to-engulf-donegal-captain-42103873.html

Thanks for sharing that J70 - I hadn't seen it. It seems well-written and (as you say) honest).

fearsiuil

Quote from: J70 on December 28, 2022, 08:59:31 PM
Haven't got hold of it yet, but it looks decent, and honest, from this excerpt about the aftermath of 1992 and his retirement:

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/alcohol-abuse-depression-and-loss-of-marriage-how-winning-all-ireland-threatened-to-engulf-donegal-captain-42103873.html
That's a cracking excerpt from the book, will have to get it. Spent a summer during mid 90s in Glenties area and his legend was real with stories of late nights etc. Think his brother had the Limelight at that stage with him working there or the pub next door? He was a fine fine player in his prime.

J70

It's interesting to hear that he ended up basically sick of and overwhelmed by the demands of doing the rounds with the cup.

I remember at the time you'd head home from college and you'd be hearing rumours about how certain parties were resentful of how much attention Molloy and McHugh were getting.

mrdeeds

Anyone read Life begins in Leitrim? Wondering if worth a purchase?