Connacht U21 Championship 2010

Started by moysider, February 21, 2010, 09:12:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moysider

Must say I m really looking forward to this Championship. Any thoughts?

Connacht U21 Championship 2010

10 March  Leitrim v Mayo (QF) – Wed evening match under lights in Cloone
17 March  Galway v Sligo (SF)
17 March  Leitrim or Mayo v Roscommon
3-6 Apr (tbc) Connacht Final

All Ireland U21 Championship
17 April Semi-Finals – Connacht v Leinster, Ulster v Munster
1 May All Ireland U21 Final

Cosmo Kramer

You'd have to think that off the back of our last two minor teams, we'd have a more than decent outfit here. But I haven't seen too many bad underage Roscommon teams in recent years and I think I'm right in saying Galway were All Ireland Minor Champions three years ago. So it has the makings of an excellent Championship.

Have we had much of a build up to this at all? We're not involved in the Hastings Cup any more which is a pity as it used to be a great warm up competition.
A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100

magpie seanie

Why is our game against Galway in Carrick?

SLIGONIAN

I wondered when I saw Carrick and then I have thought about asking the question but it suits us I reckon so im going to just roll with it.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Rossfan

For the second year running we have to go in cold against Mayowestros and them already having a Champ. game under their belts.
So another early exit beckons for us in a year in which we badly need a Connacht U21.
We have a good manager this year but I suspect our team wont be as good as the 2 previous years when they were sort of managed by a management team picked by Co Board politics >:(
Still it'll be something to do on the National Holiday instead of staring at the telly all afternoon.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

spuds

Quote from: Rossfan on February 23, 2010, 09:20:23 PM
For the second year running we have to go in cold against Mayowestros and them already having a Champ. game under their belts.
So another early exit beckons for us in a year in which we badly need a Connacht U21.
We have a good manager this year but I suspect our team wont be as good as the 2 previous years when they were sort of managed by a management team picked by Co Board politics >:(
Still it'll be something to do on the National Holiday instead of interfering with sheep all afternoon.

Fixed that for ya
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

Rossfan

You're so unfunny you will be RTE's next big comedy hit ya rhubarb ******* ya.
Anyway at least we have grass that can feed sheep not the scrub that peeks out of the ground over your way  :P

ballinaman

Quote from: Rossfan on February 23, 2010, 09:41:41 PM
You're so unfunny you will be RTE's next big comedy hit ya rhubarb ******* ya.
Anyway at least we have grass that can feed sheep not the scrub that peeks out of the ground over your way  :P
Grass? Thats what you're boasting about....Grass! :D :D :D

moysider

Maybe we can mention something about the football. Mayo played a good challenge against Cork yesterday. A draw game which isn't a bad run out at all. As some of us predicted McLaughlin is filling the no.11 shirt at this level. It ll be a savage looking forward line - on paper at least. Mclaughlin, O Sé, Doherty, Douglas, Freemanx2 maybe, Geraghty all in contention for places and god knows who else I m forgetting about.

Rossfan

Foreverhopeful

Hennelly

E O Reilly                               K Keane                         M Walsh

S Mchale/Charlton                    L Keegan                        S Nally

J gibbons          G McDonagh/J Cafferty

Cathal Freeman/G mcDonagh     K McLoughlin                  Alan Freeman

N Douglas                                    Aidan O'Se                   J Doherty

ross4life

it's a shame I'm gonna be out of the country to miss these games  :(  because for the few last years under 21football  has been the best quality & excitement of all the Grades  & it's been well documented how the Rossies have not got the rub of the green at this Grade in recent years

Maybe that will change this year?

Starting mid March & all over by 1st May short & sweet championship as ever  ::)
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Farrandeelin

Seen as it's the only All-Ireland win Mayo have won in my lifetime, I will always have a fondness for the U-21 championship. That looks a good team out there by Foreverhopeful. Hopefully Ray Dempsey will give the lads some steel as well, seen as he knows them from minor level. Aiden O'Shea would need to punch his weight around in the full-forward position because he's been sluggish enough in the 2 games in the league.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

AbbeySider

Quote from: Foreverhopeful on February 24, 2010, 12:33:07 AM
                                              Hennelly

E O Reilly                               K Keane                         M Walsh

S Mchale/Charlton                    L Keegan                        S Nally

J gibbons          G McDonagh/J Cafferty

Cathal Freeman/G mcDonagh     K McLoughlin                  Alan Freeman

N Douglas                                    Aidan O'Se                   J Doherty

SERIOUS team... if half those lads make it through to Senior we could have a fine team and panel in a couple of years at senior level.

Comparing it to the 2006 team, (current Mayo Senior players in bold)

K O'Malley;
T Howley, G Cafferkey, K Higgins (capt);
C Barrett, T Cunniffe, C Boyle;
S O'Shea, B Moran;
A Campbell, J Dillon, A Kilcoyne;
M Ronaldson, M Hannick, M Conroy

westmayo

You could also throw Enda Varley into that list Abbeysider he came on the final as far as I can remember and Alan Feeney was a sub on that u21 side too